Speculation: "Nylander may have to be traded"

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Nylander should get long term (6-8 years), about 6.3-6.5 million per year with the cap going up.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Who should we believe...the GM of the team or HockeyBuzz...hmmm...

In this case? Neither.

If Toronto wants to win a series they need to improve their D a lot. They could do it without trading away one of their young guns, I just think it's very unlikely and, more importantly, very stupid to claim it isn't an option.

Reactions: STLomacneko

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
ya leaving you 2 mill after you sign AM Also who s to say Willy is only after 6? he has back to back 61 point seasons. and is a center being used as a winger. He holds the cards not the Leafs cap hell is coming. After AM 2 mill will not get you the pieces you need to compete. Sooner or later you leaf fans will realize. You should have stayed the course on the rebuild. For gods sake your prospect pool is ranked 30th. You have no money to fill important holes on your team. Face facts This team will score. But is also going to give up a ton of quality chances and come playoff time offense tends to dry up.l

I don't agree with the posturing here, but I do agree with your opinion.

Dubas is painting a a very positive picture for fans, but in reality signing Marner / Matthews (two better players than Nylander) will take priority. It is possible that Nylander can fit under the leafs cap, but that leaves very little wiggle room. The leafs won't always have cap friendly contracts like Rielly, Gardiner, and Kadri's. They are going to eventually pay more for those positions or a possible addition. Why would TOR put themselves in an impossible situation?

Reactions: Rubicon 4x4

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
In this case? Neither.

If Toronto wants to win a series they need to improve their D a lot. They could do it without trading away one of their young guns, I just think it's very unlikely and, more importantly, very stupid to claim it isn't an option.

Maybe

However, I am inclined to believe Dubas.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Maybe

However, I am inclined to believe Dubas.

You shouldn't. He responded to media coverage for no reason: now if a good deal comes up that involves trading away one of the young guns he looks silly.

Classic unforced error from a young and inexperienced GM. Let the media media, don't worry about it.

And yes, the Sens GM isn't much better, I am fully aware.

Reactions: STLomacneko

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Call me crazy but I feel like if what it takes is 6milAAV for Nylander long term TOR would sign that in a heartbeat
Obviously, unless he's asking that for a 2 year bridge. If he's willing to do that for 6 years then this was done weeks ago.

Reactions: SI90

PitchNHL

Jul 18, 2018
I’m on my phone so don’t have the energy to copy paste all the information about the leafs cap situation, but they can comfortably afford Willie at 6.1$/y

This is bs
Comfortably? Probably not. Their big 4 players will command a HUGE chunk of their cap. It’s a fine line before they hit the oilers-mcdavid situation where their overall team talent suffers because of huge contracts.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
You shouldn't. He responded to media coverage for no reason: now if a good deal comes up that involves trading away one of the young guns he looks silly.

Classic unforced error from a young and inexperienced GM. Let the media media, don't worry about it.

And yes, the Sens GM isn't much better, I am fully aware.

LOL I was not even going there

But yes, he didn't have to say that. I do think they have zero intention of moving the core, and I believe the blueline will sort itself out.

I just think we all have zero idea what these players, agents, and GM's are thinking, we need to see it play out.

slimbob8

Aug 11, 2016
Nylander at 6 for 8 years is a huge steal

Ya really. What the hell kind of article is this? I don't think anyone realistically expects him to sign for under 6 so I'm not sure where he's getting this nonsense from. If he signs long term for anything between 6-7M I'll be thrilled.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Sure, that's fair. It's just funny that people actually think that these randoms at HockeyBuzz would get the scoop from the Leafs.
No they wouldn't.
I didn't read the link are they passing this off as an inside scoop or just their speculation?

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
No one opinion is "untrue".

It's not so much aimed at you, as it is the 100 threads about the Leafs trading away every core player and dealing with offer sheets from teams around the league.

It just gets repetitive, but I don't mean to be an ass to anybody.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
This one should be easy, 6 to 6.1 to 6.6 using Ehlers, Larkin, and Pasta as comparables. Cap went up so Pasta and Ehlers are bargains now. But one would have to think this could be done at any time, not sure what the hold up is?
Not necessarily even a hold up...Pasternak didn't sign till September

Reactions: Metroid

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
In my opinion, the sky is green.

In my opinion the Leafs will win the next 100 cups and we will have a top 9 that averages 215 points each per season.

Plus the sky is orange lol

In all honesty, we have no idea what will happen with regards to contracts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad