Speculation: "Nylander may have to be traded"

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
HockeyBuzz.com - GARTH'S CORNER - Reinhart, Nylander Wants What Larkin Is Having

Powerful Quote:

"I don’t see a $6M AAV for 8 seasons in Nylander’s future in Toronto, who must also re-sign Austin Matthews and Mitch Marner to mega deals. Matthews will earn $11M AAV and Marner will earn $8M AAV long term. John Tavares is already earning $11M AAV on a fat l, long term contract. Nylander may have to be traded to another NHL team to achieve his salary expectations of $6M plus AAV."

Powerful Title:

"Nylander/Reinhart wants what Larkin is having" (although this seems like bad English)

I thought that a deal done from 1 of these three would create a domino effect.

The leafs are in a situation now and for the foreseeable future where they are going to have to trade good players because they are committed to better ones (Tavares, Matthews, and Marner).

Reactions: RonTextall

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
HockeyBuzz.com - GARTH'S CORNER - Reinhart, Nylander Wants What Larkin Is Having

Powerful Quote:

"I don’t see a $6M AAV for 8 seasons in Nylander’s future in Toronto, who must also re-sign Austin Matthews and Mitch Marner to mega deals. Matthews will earn $11M AAV and Marner will earn $8M AAV long term. John Tavares is already earning $11M AAV on a fat l, long term contract. Nylander may have to be traded to another NHL team to achieve his salary expectations of $6M plus AAV."

Powerful Title:

"Nylander/Reinhart wants what Larkin is having" (although this seems like bad English)

The leafs are in a situation now and for the foreseeable future where they are going to have to trade good players because they are committed to better ones (Tavares, Matthews, and Marner).
Not true before.
Not true now.

Give it up.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
The damn GM said "we can and we will" when asked about keeping the young core together. Why is this a story? Pastrnak didn't sign until september, just before camp last year.

Correction

People WANT it to be a story, even a BS one.

Us trading away core players is magical to other posters, it's like christmas day and a birthday surprise all rolled into one giant wet dream for them.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Call me crazy but I feel like if what it takes is 6milAAV for Nylander long term TOR would sign that in a heartbeat
Definitely.

I'm thinking they're trying to get him to 8 years which is a little more difficult, going to be a higher cap then Ehlers/Larkin because they'll be eating more ufa years.

Still see him at 6.5-6.8 for 8 years, and about 300k less every year you go down.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis

Powerful Quote:

Powerful Title:

you have jake G and Ron H falling off the roster next year thats 7.05 mil, then you have marleu and horton coming off the books the year after thats 11.55mil plus you have 13 mil in cap right now. Just bridge nylander and pay him in 3 years simple. Armstrong has been doing this for years

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Looking if we lock up Nylander for 8 years that's 3 of UFA years. We are not getting him for 6 at that length, I'm sure we can get it under 7 but will mean we have to structure it the same as JT. Essentially Buyout and Lockout proof.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
who tf is Garth?

film-waynes_world-1992-garth_algar-dana_carvey-tshirts-aerosmith_aero_force_shirt.jpg

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
This one should be easy, 6 to 6.1 to 6.6 using Ehlers, Larkin, and Pasta as comparables. Cap went up so Pasta and Ehlers are bargains now. But one would have to think this could be done at any time, not sure what the hold up is?

I wouldn't mind seeing him come in at 6.1-6.6 for 8 years. I still think it would be a steal, and you would be eating up valuable extra UFA years.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
BS thread...... just sad that I clicked on it. I need to learn lol

It was BS from the start, but as soon as I read "AM and MM will be earning X dollars" that is the icing on the cake.

Because nobody has a clue lol these threads need to be locked up.

That's why it's speculation.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Definitely.

I'm thinking they're trying to get him to 8 years which is a little more difficult, going to be a higher cap then Ehlers/Larkin because they'll be eating more ufa years.

Still see him at 6.5-6.8 for 8 years, and about 300k less every year you go down.

He’s been a consistent 60pt player his first 2 full years and he’s only 22. That could end up being a steal. Especially if he settles in as a top6 70+pt forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad