Speculation: "Nylander may have to be traded"

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
As much as I'd love for Leafs to not be able to keep all their guys, 6 mil for Nylander seems pretty fair value.

Sign him at 6 mil and if you are in a cap crunch next year then you trade him to someone else. I am positive there will be a lot of suitors at that price.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
He did not make it full time. He was sent to the minors and replace with Gauthier...who the leafs thought was a better choice. .That is not making it full time.
Sorry when was that? Since January he has been a full time player displacing Matt Martian. That is pretty ignorant.

Walt22

Mar 19, 2018
Sorry when was that? Since January he has been a full time player displacing Matt Martian. That is pretty ignorant.
Ah..my mistake...the Full NHL season is only february to April.. .how could I miss that. Full time is 82 games. If someone had a full time job and only got to work 3.8 hours out of a 8.2 hour day...they aren't a full time worker. Thinking it's not is ignorant.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Ah..my mistake...the Full NHL season is only february to April.. .how could I miss that. Full time is 82 games. If someone had a full time job and only got to work 3.8 hours out of a 8.2 hour day...they aren't a full time worker. Thinking it's not is ignorant.
Wrong again! The NHL regular season starts in October and ends in April. After that, the playoffs begin.
Kasperi Kapanen the Leafs winger, who just turned 22 in July, won his job as a full time NHLer in January. He has always been a full time employee of the Toronto Maple Leafs since the trade, even when he was in the minors. "
Full time is 82 games. If someone had a full time job and only got to work 3.8 hours out of a 8.2 hour day...they aren't a full time worker." by these ignorant attempts at logic, a good player, Chris Tanev for example, would not be a full time player. (He is by the way and a good one.) Furthermore, there are a lot of people who work at a full time job that are not working for your prescribed 8.2 hrs who are full time.

Eat The Rich

Jun 17, 2017

Uh.. What the hell kind of logic is that?

Trying a liiiiiiiittle too hard to back up a BS argument.

Walt22

Mar 19, 2018
Wrong again! The NHL regular season starts in October and ends in April. After that, the playoffs begin.
Kasperi Kapanen the Leafs winger, who just turned 22 in July, won his job as a full time NHLer in January. He has always been a full time employee of the Toronto Maple Leafs since the trade, even when he was in the minors. "
Full time is 82 games. If someone had a full time job and only got to work 3.8 hours out of a 8.2 hour day...they aren't a full time worker." by these ignorant attempts at logic, a good player, Chris Tanev for example, would not be a full time player. (He is by the way and a good one.) Furthermore, there are a lot of people who work at a full time job that are not working for your prescribed 8.2 hrs who are full time.
Wow...quite the take. Tanev was sat out of games cause he wasn't good enough to beat out a player like Gauthier..so he isn't a full time nhler? That was likely the high point of your argument... You better gather your thoughts before you type cause that is probably the worst excuse of an example I have ever seen on here. Try a little harder next time.

Reactions: Snowman

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Wow...quite the take. Tanev was sat out of games cause he wasn't good enough to beat out a player like Gauthier..so he isn't a full time nhler? That was likely the high point of your argument... You better gather your thoughts before you type cause that is probably the worst excuse of an example I have ever seen on here. Try a little harder next time.
You can't even follow your own line of thought nor can you follow my response. Here it is in picture form: You are
Charlie Brown.
lucy-football.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Cotton

Walt22

Mar 19, 2018
You can't even follow your own line of thought nor can you follow my response. Here is is in picture form: You are
Charlie Brown.
View attachment 134873
Nice to know I am dealing with children that resort to cartoons when they can't think of words. Aren't you missing an episode of Scooby doo.. .time to move along and let people that can write make some points.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo

In the words of college girls everywhere... "I literally can't even".

A daily rate is not the same as a later hire date. If you wanted to make a work analogy and not look like a complete dumbass it would be one of a lower level worker filling in a higher role with spot duty over several months, then earning the position full time and never moving back. But the bolded ship sailed when you used a Centre being called up in place of winger for injury replacement weeks before the winger got called up for good. Then sank when you compared starting a job mid year to working half days.

Last edited:

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Nice to know I am dealing with children that resort to cartoons when they can't think of words. Aren't you missing an episode of Scooby doo.. .time to move along and let people that can write make some points.
Yeah time to move on. What channel is Scooby Doo?

Flipwon

Jun 25, 2018
This is when it would be useful if a mod could just pluck a single person from a thread, instead of completely shutting it down.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Mar 26, 2010
It will be nice once Nylander signs his extension so all the Nylander threads can be put to rest.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
It will be nice once Nylander signs his extension so all the Nylander threads can be put to rest.

It won't help much. Then they'll say we have to trade him before the following season, when Matthews and Marner's contracts kick in.

Reactions: RCS
Jul 10, 2003
KW

That is some seriously flawed logic there...and that's being generous.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
lol you sound like Paul Romanuck

or Craig Simpson

I'm gonna laugh so hard if Nylander gets traded only, 'cus they can't give him what he wants.

don't hold yer breath, or you'll end up being the blue guy in the corner

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

While it's possible the Leafs get him to agree to an 8year 6.6m AAV, if they can no problem he stays a Leaf for a long time

My thought has always been to give Nylander a 3-5 year "prove it to me" contract and preferably 4 years, if he "proves it" then you show him the money, if he can't "prove it" then you stop cutting bait and fish

Mitch Marner and Matthews are the only two kids right now that will see 8yr offers

EDIT: for accuracy in re LTC

Last edited:

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
or Craig Simpson

don't hold yer breath, or you'll end up being the blue guy in the corner

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

While it's possible the Leafs get him to agree to an 8year 6.6m AAV, if they can no problem he stays a Leaf for a long time

My thought has always been that they'll offer him a 3-4 year "prove it" contract that comes in at 5.5 with a 10 team LTC kicking in at year 3...if he can indeed prove it, then they dangle the 8 year deal in front of him

Mitch Marner and Matthews are the only two kids right now that will see 8yr offers

You can only give out NTC or NMC in UFA years. Nylander can't get one until year 6 of his new deal.

Reactions: therealkoho

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I hope they do sign him, along with Marner and Matthews, so they have zero money left to acquire any defensemen and continue to hang out in purgatory

Nylander isn't signing long-term for 6 a season. Try 8 or so minimum.
Toronto was foolish with the Tavares signing. It will come back to haunt them imo. As for Nylander, yea, traded most likely.

Cap Friendly is really informative, you both should learn how to use it

I would have no issues if they traded Nylander as long as it’s for a young stud defenceman.

if he gets moved that's the only way it happens

Well lets start off by saying Matthews at 11 million is a massive over payment for a player who cant crack 70 points. Marner at 8 million appears to be an over payment as well. 9.5 for Matthews is more then fair for his lack luster play given all the hype. 7 for both Marner and Nylander. But the reality is all three are greedy KIDS and will choose money over winning. Throw in Kadri and Tavares contracts.. Its almost as if greed is going to do the Leafs in. Still need a 1D with zero cap space.

the expression you're looking for is "hasn't as yet," he's flirting with the 1 ppg mark career and should move over it this year, if he stays healthy you shouldn't have to wait too long for it to happen, I'm thinking he breaks that barrier by game 65 next year, yep 65 lacklustre games:naughty:

I don't see Matthews settling for anything less then Eichel money(whether Eichel deserved the coin is another story), and if Mitch agrees to 8x8 he'll be underpaid by year 4. If they can get Nylander to sign a bridge type deal 5.5-6.1, no cap problems whatsoever, try it on Capfriendly it just works, don't forget to use the 5% escalator the NHLPA is so fond of using every year:nod:

I know you want this to be the fate that befalls the Leafs...it does kinda remind me of the old Dusty Springfield song Wishin' and hopin' and hopin' and wishin'...:rolleyes:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->