Proposal: Nylander for Lindholm

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Actually he is a Center playing the wing in Toronto,but his past is as a Center.

So then Rakell is a center, seeing he grew up playing it but is on the wing in the NHL? Playing it growing up and in a short tournament like the Worlds DOES NOT MAKE YOU AN NHL CENTER WHEN YOU DO NOT DO IT FULL TIME IN THE NHL.

Maybe in the future Nylander will be one, but currently he IS NOT one.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Oh so we're still talking about me and not either player? Ok, cool.

He can win MVP is a tournament full of NHL players, he played in a one spot to fill in for Matthews but the Leafs decided to develop him on the wing given Matthews, Kadri and Bozak only play center. Teams routinely have players develop on the wing. So you being upset that he isn't a 'full time center' isn't relevant to Nylander being able to play center.

'60 pointish winger', broke 60 points in every full year on an ELC with exceptional underlying numbers screaming breakout and if we discount underlying numbers (which for Nylander you are being clearly are) then Lindholm should be held to that standard, and if not for fancy stats Lindholm is ugly on paper. It's a case of you having it both ways to devalue Nylander.

'Just accept you made a bad proposal' Four times and counting... I'm not invested in my proposal happening... I happy with both teams not doing it but will defend the value in a discussion. I could care less about your personal opinion on either talent because you offer nothing other than 'look at other posters saying no'

Hey, btw, would you trade rosters ;)

I am as a big a fan of Nylander as anyone (I've been on the #shoulda drafted Nylander train on HFCanucks since before his draft year), but the proposal just isn't good. Lindholm is one of the single best defensemen in the NHL. Nylander is a very good first line player (and yes I do think he can play center, but he just hasn't done it much in the NHL, so we can't really say he IS an NHL center), but simply is not on that level.

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
In your OP.

You're not trying to suggest you'd want to give up Nylander for some second pairing guy are you?
Top pairing =/= 1D

Lindholm isn't a franchise defenseman, it's really annoying reading people talk about him as if he is.

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
I am as a big a fan of Nylander as anyone (I've been on the #shoulda drafted Nylander train on HFCanucks since before his draft year), but the proposal just isn't good. Lindholm is one of the single best defensemen in the NHL. Nylander is a very good first line player (and yes I do think he can play center, but he just hasn't done it much in the NHL, so we can't really say he IS an NHL center), but simply is not on that level.
That's fine, I understand someone siding either way, I've made this clear in this thread.

As for Lindholm being among the best defenseman in the league? No he flirts with that tier he's not in it.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
That's fine, I understand someone siding either way, I've made this clear in this thread.

As for Lindholm being among the best defenseman in the league? No he flirts with that tier he's not in it.

Defensively hes top 5, offensively hes still improving, but def room to grow.

Best comparison is a guy like vlasic, but lindholm has better offensive skillset.

I bet your gm has lindholm in his top 15

Oct 18, 2011
I thought their biggest problem is that their top two centers are over the hill and Corey Perry is busted so I offered a young forward in a soft proposal online.
Yeah one of those over the hill centers just led the league in assists per game. Try having an informed opinion before throwing a baseless tantrum because people think your ideas are bad

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Nylander is a Center as a player but not in NHL. Leafs got a pretty strong centercore as is. It is not like they will put him on forth line. Or who knows with Babs. If Nylander make a couple misstakes he might see some fourth line time.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Yeah one of those over the hill centers just led the league in assists per game. Try having an informed opinion before throwing a baseless tantrum because people think your ideas are bad
The over the hill 1c, has a better ppg over last 2 seasons than matthews and tavares... aand they both play in high offense systeams/teams

Reactions: KaseMeOutside

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Nylander is a Center as a player but not in NHL. Leafs got a pretty strong centercore as is. It is not like they will put him on forth line. Or who knows with Babs. If Nylander make a couple misstakes he might see some fourth line time.
So what you are saying is he is a nhl winger?

Reactions: Starat327

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
So what you are saying is he is a nhl winger?
Yes and no. I am saying he is better as a center but there are better centers then him on the team right now so he has to play as a winger. He is to good to be on a fourth line. So he is a Center and Winger type of player.

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
Top pairing =/= 1D

Lindholm isn't a franchise defenseman, it's really annoying reading people talk about him as if he is.

Well he's a #1 dman no question about that and hes much closer to being a franchise defenseman than Willy is to being a franchise or even #1 Winger. Go dig up some underlying numbers for Hampus and you'll be shocked at how well they compare to the eye test, he's a great player.

signed - An Ottawa fan who wishes we drafted him

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Well he's a #1 dman no question about that and hes much closer to being a franchise defenseman than Willy is to being a franchise or even #1 Winger. Go dig up some underlying numbers for Hampus and you'll be shocked at how well they compare to the eye test, he's a great player.

signed - An Ottawa fan who wishes we drafted him
Ya they keep bringing up nylanders age, but check lindholms underlyin #s from 20-23.... not many young dmen can play that type of game at that age.

But that wont fit his narrative, just like he ignored getzs ppg being higher than matthews and tavares despite playing on a not so good offensive team.

analytics

Jun 24, 2018

So he flirts with it but he's condemned for life as a non-franchise defender?

He's only just played his age 23 season, and in fact had a noticeable offensive breakout potting a 15g/82gp season after working on it all off-season.

He's knocking down the door to break 40+ points any day now, and when he does round that part of his game he will be an undisputed franchise #1.

It's only a matter of time, Nylander is nowhere close to getting him. Both Nylander+Marner together might be worth picking up a phone but individually it's so insanely far from reality. So incredibly incredibly far, nothing like this will have ever been seen before.

analytics

Jun 24, 2018

With the never-discussed narrative that in any reasonable player model he ranks in the top-5 of defensive forwards every single season.

An above point-per-game dominant defensive force, sounds like a generational talent all over the news every day right? No he is on Anaheim sorry.

Reactions: KaseMeOutside

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012

I don't agree that the ducks should trade Lindholm for him or that I would trade him for Lindholm (RHD is still the priority) but there are a lot of fools underestimating Nylander's skill/value. Both are sky-high

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

I don't agree that the ducks should trade Lindholm for him or that I would trade him for Lindholm (RHD is still the priority) but there are a lot of fools underestimating Nylander's skill/value. Both are sky-high

Just cause we wont move lindholm for him doesnt mean we dont think hes great... all duck fans would love to add him, just not at the cost of lindholm

Reactions: go4hockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad