Proposal: Nylander for Lindholm

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Neither are offensive minded players it's just lucky or unlucky. They both pretty much play the same way
yeah that's fair. Manson does have far more secondary assists, which are generally a bit lucky. I don't want to take away from them as players, since I think they're the best defensive pairing in the league. My concern is that neither of them are big offensive contributors though, and I am not even really sure why that is. Is it a coaching thing? they're both pretty much middle of the pack in offensive contributions for the Ducks

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
yeah that's fair. Manson does have far more secondary assists, which are generally a bit lucky. I don't want to take away from them as players, since I think they're the best defensive pairing in the league. My concern is that neither of them are big offensive contributors though, and I am not even really sure why that is. Is it a coaching thing? they're both pretty much middle of the pack in offensive contributions for the Ducks

Manson suddenly seemed to start asserting himself more offensively this past season and a few of those assists came from getting down low in the offensive zone using his huge frame to get in on the cycle.

Neither of them are ever going to be Karlsson style playmakers but in small spurts Lindholm will jump up and show that he has some impressive offensive tools. I don't think it's a stretch at all to suggest that he could easily tack on a few extra points if he was just more consistently assertive on the offensive side, but I can't answer whether it's coaching or personality that makes him stay home more often than not. Probably a combination of both, but I think he will have multiple 40+ point seasons before his career is through.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Pretty much coaching... RC at times would rather put Bieska on the powerplay over Lindholm and Manson... Manson I think last season will be his best offensive season... Lindholm I think will push 45+ a few times in his career, specially if we pair him with a more offensive guy like Montour.

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
Other fans really need to stop letting certain leaf fans get to them. It's obvious they're either 12 or have no idea what they're talking about. No reason to get rattled and derail the thread.

Lindholm is obviously worth more than Nylander.

As for the whole Rielly vs. Lindholm debate, Lindholm is the better d-men, but people seriously underrate Rielly.

Reactions: Getzmonster

imjustzach

May 9, 2018
Fair post

I'm being a harsh on Getzlaf and Ducks overall, tried to stir the pot a bit.

I would say the Leafs forwards are more Nashville's blueline than Ducks, those Ducks have a top five blueline in the league no question, they have a lot of upside too.

I'd call the Ducks Boston East, a bit awkward that they are both young and veteran but in the mix.

Some people can't just let bygones be bygones. You were hyperbolic and then manned up about it. More mature than most people are willing to be around here. And I agree about us being Boston West* and TOR being the offensive equivalent of the NSH D.

FYI re: Nylander threads

Q: Why is there so many Nylander threads?
A: Many Leaf fans appreciate him, but they feel he is the 1 player of the Big 4 (previously known as the Big 3) who TOR can use in a trade to get a sizable return in areas that need to be filled. Areas like defense, power forward, etc. It's possible that Dubas works things out and manoeuvres the cap so every talented player can remain, but like many fans I have my doubts.

Have a good day. :)

Hated your last 2 proposal threads. Thought they were straight trolling. This answer is great though since that question seems to come up a lot. I think the TOR fanbase valuation of Nylander is too high or the valuation of Manson/Lindholm is too low but it's pretty standard that people value their assets higher than those of other teams. In general, I don't think TOR and ANA are the right fit for a F for D swap and thats why we always have trouble seeing eye to eye. Trouba might be a good fit for you guys though (if he'd be willing to sign in TOR).

Manson is 27??? Damn I didn't know he was that old, he has 3 extra years of development on Rielly.

Manson isn't quite 27 yet but Rielly actually has more time with professional development. Manson went from NCAA to the NHL (4 years). Rielly played 3 years in the WHL and then has 5 years of NHL. Rielly's just younger.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Manson is 27??? Damn I didn't know he was that old, he has 3 extra years of development on Rielly.

Manson was also a 6th round pick vs a top 5 pick overall. I'd expect Rielly to show more at a younger age and be the better player (both of which are true). If it took an extra 3 years for every 6th round pick we had but they ended up as impactful as Manson, I'd take that every day

Reactions: Spazkat

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
What's crazy about Nylander being a 1 c? The only reason he's shifted to wing is because we have Matthews and Kadri and now Tavares too.
See, this is interesting logic. If nylander is a 1C, the team would prioritize him at center, even if it was behind Matthews. They didn't.

This is the same logic as saying Rakell is a 1C bevause he can play center and is highly productive.

It's lazy, and it's untrue. 1C's are players who play center and are productive at a first line level, not some theoretical ifs and maybes. Anyone can throw those around.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
What's crazy about Nylander being a 1 c? The only reason he's shifted to wing is because we have Matthews and Kadri and now Tavares too.

The quote read "their future 1c" - implying hes going to be a 1C in Toronto. I find that difficult to believe hes going to pass Matthews and Tavares to become their 1C.

Also - How is Nylander going to get opportunity to play C Behind Matthews, Tavares, and Kadri? Theres no way they could balance that play time for him to feasibly show he's capable of being 1C.

imjustzach

May 9, 2018

I wouldn't say there's anything crazy about it. I think it's just imprecision of speech. Until he proves it at the NHL level, the precise thing to say is that he has 1C potential. Whether or not you agree with that claim is subjective but I'd say it's more accurate than labeling him a 1C.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Some people can't just let bygones be bygones. You were hyperbolic and then manned up about it. More mature than most people are willing to be around here. And I agree about us being Boston West* and TOR being the offensive equivalent of the NSH D.

Hated your last 2 proposal threads. Thought they were straight trolling. This answer is great though since that question seems to come up a lot. I think the TOR fanbase valuation of Nylander is too high or the valuation of Manson/Lindholm is too low but it's pretty standard that people value their assets higher than those of other teams. In general, I don't think TOR and ANA are the right fit for a F for D swap and thats why we always have trouble seeing eye to eye. Trouba might be a good fit for you guys though (if he'd be willing to sign in TOR).

Manson isn't quite 27 yet but Rielly actually has more time with professional development. Manson went from NCAA to the NHL (4 years). Rielly played 3 years in the WHL and then has 5 years of NHL. Rielly's just younger.

Theres's a 3 year age gap between the two. It's not Rielly's fault that he was thrown into the NHL earlier than Manson

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
can you fathom how bad they wouldve destroyed boston of 90% of the leafs team wasnt meh in that series? i mean they went seven games and according to people like you they were mostly garbage. if youre right then its going to suck to be a boston fan for the next half decade.
A goalie can can cover a lot of holes.

I’m sure Boston will be fine. Pretty good division to be in. Aside from Tampa not a lot of deep teams there.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Theres's a 3 year age gap between the two. It's not Rielly's fault that he was thrown into the NHL earlier than Manson
Rielly was pretty disappointing his first 3 seasons or so ... mansons been basically part of the best shutdown pairing in the nhl since he was paired with Lindholm.

You expect a top 5 pick to make it to the nhl within first 2 seasons after draft.... you don't expect a 6th round pick to become 1 of the top shutdown dmen in the league. Age is really irrelevant here.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Rielly was pretty disappointing his first 3 seasons or so ... mansons been basically part of the best shutdown pairing in the nhl since he was paired with Lindholm.

You expect a top 5 pick to make it to the nhl within first 2 seasons after draft.... you don't expect a 6th round pick to become 1 of the top shutdown dmen in the league. Age is really irrelevant here.
He was also on horrible teams his first 3 years, finishing 8th worst, 4th worst and then the worst team in the league.

Funny how you bring up Manson getting to play with Lindholm, that certainly makes him look better than he is. Rielly's partners since 2014 have been Polak, Hunwick, Zaitsev and Hainsey. That a whole lot of crap Hainsey aside, funny enough that was also his best year in the league so far.

Rielly can be compared to Lindholm, I'd personally take Rielly on the Leafs, comparing Morgan Rielly to Manson is a joke though.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
He was also on horrible teams his first 3 years, finishing 8th worst, 4th worst and then the worst team in the league.

Funny how you bring up Manson getting to play with Lindholm, that certainly makes him look better than he is. Rielly's partners since 2014 have been Polak, Hunwick, Zaitsev and Hainsey. That a whole lot of crap Hainsey aside, funny enough that was also his best year in the league so far.

Rielly can be compared to Lindholm, I'd personally take Rielly on the Leafs, comparing Morgan Rielly to Manson is a joke though.

Where did I compare manson to Rielly? You compared them based on age... all I said is Manson has been good in the NHL since he came up... rielly struggled... it was good development on anaheims part.. to take their time and let manson become the player he is today. Lindholm came in and instantly was a dominant defensive player, rielly should have spent more time in development before being tossed into deep water... hes coming around now and starting to live up to his potential(also took a very top notch offense for him to hit his stride).

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Where did I compare manson to Rielly? You compared them based on age... all I said is Manson has been good in the NHL since he came up... rielly struggled... it was good development on anaheims part.. to take their time and let manson become the player he is today. Lindholm came in and instantly was a dominant defensive player, rielly should have spent more time in development before being tossed into deep water... hes coming around now and starting to live up to his potential(also took a very top notch offense for him to hit his stride).
Not one person should argue against this statement. If we could trade for/sign a very good (not superstar) D first partner for Rielly...then i think you would truly see what the kid is made of. He has been dragging sub-par partners around for his whole career. Hell, we got to see him improve a bunch just by having Hainsey partner with him....imagine if we got an actual #2/3 D first guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad