Proposal: Nylander for Bertuzzi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I think Bertuzzi and Nylander are very equal pieces. Bertuzzi is less skilled, but better in all other areas of the game. His production last season was extremely good considering the circumstances of the team, essentially everyone else on the roster regressed statistically.

So I don't think it's a lopsided value trade.

That said with Detroit having Raymond, Zadina and Berggren on the way I'm not sure they need another skill-first, soft winger. Bertuzzi fills more of a need and has great chemistry with Larkin and Mantha.

You would need alot of "grit" to somehow get better from 50pts rather than 60pts
Anyone judging Bertuzzi's (or anyone else in Detroit really) based on their stats last season doesn't understand hockey. Detroit scored about 80 goals less than in 18-19 (or about 36% less) and Bertuzzi still managed a small improvement to his production. Larkin had a 20 point regression and I think it's easy to imagine that Bertuzzi could have also had 10-20 points more if it was a "normal" year.

59 points on Toronto last season equals about 35 points in Detroit, in terms of the teams relative production.

Last edited:

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Yet another example of a fan overrating the value of his team's player and posting a correspondingly slanted trade thread.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

kooner91

Apr 13, 2014
For the record, I am an avid Maple Leafs hater and enjoy watching them burn, and can't wait for the routine miss playoffs/first round exit they have again this upcoming season.

That being said, I wouldn't do this if I was Toronto. Not even close to be honest.

Nylander is on another level from Bertuzzi, and I like Bert. He has a higher floor, and a much higher ceiling.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Lmfao f*** no. Bertuzzi isn't close. Yes lets trade the guys pacing for 38 goals for grit. Garbage proposal.

Flip their situations and this is much closer than you want to admit.

5 on 5 Nylander paces 2 more goals than Bertuzzi. But certainly he doesn't benefit from playing on a far and away better PP unit...

Now add Bertuzzi's grit, which is apparently his only valuable trait, on top of that.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Nylander is underrated.

I think Bertuzzi and Nylander are very equal pieces. Bertuzzi is less skilled, but better in all other areas of the game. His production last season was extremely good considering the circumstances of the team, essentially everyone else on the roster regressed statistically.

Yeah man, for sure.

Comparison Dash.png

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Both teams say no, each for various reasons.

With Zadina & Fabbri already in the Top6 + Berggren & Raymond on the way, we don't need another skilled winger. Bert has plenty of skill, IQ & vision. It's his chemistry W/Larkin & Mantha + grit & physicality + net front/board work + pest mode that make very unique. Bert is a coaches & teammates dream, plays the right way & a guy you can win a SC with.

2021/22

Raymond-Larkin-Mantha
Bertuzzi-Veleno-Zadina
Berggren-Rasmussen-Fabbri

Reactions: WingsToPick4th

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Nylander is underrated.

Yeah man, for sure.

View attachment 374379
Zone entries and exits I would categorize under the skill part, Nylander is simply better with the puck on his stick. More skilled, more of a primary puck carrier.
I would guess that most Detroit players look trash in most statistical outlooks from last season though. It's hard to completely seperate a player from the surrounding context of a team that's constantly being dominated.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Nylander is better than Larkin and would be #1C over him.

Yeah, sure he is. Nylander's best performances are a pair of 61 pt performances riding the coattails of his much better than him linemates. Larkin put up 73 with crappy linemates and an almost non existent powerplay.

Leafs don't touch this as Nylander is better than Bertuzzi, although I have serious doubts Nylander is even as good as Larkin.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Yeah, sure he is. Nylander's best performances are a pair of 61 pt performances riding the coattails of his much better than him linemates. Larkin put up 73 with crappy linemates and an almost non existent powerplay.

Leafs don't touch this as Nylander is better than Bertuzzi, although I have serious doubts Nylander is even as good as Larkin.
I could see lil’Bert thrive in T.O. - hanging around the net, and getting all those greasy goals courtesy of Tavares/Matthews.

Just think what he could do for them in the playoffs.

Reactions: lilidk and Oddbob

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Nylander is underrated.

Yeah man, for sure.

View attachment 374379

Almost like one played on a playoff team, and the other on a record bad team. Nylander is better, but as others have said, flip Bert to Toronto and Nylander to Detroit on last years teams, and Nylander gets maybe 50 at most as our PP alone would drain his numbers, and Bert's offence is maybe just a little lower due to playing lower on the depth chart than he does here. Also, a season of getting your butt whooped would have Nylander at about -25 to -35 at least with all the ice time he would get.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
After drafting Zadina and Raymond in 2 of the last 3 drafts, we don't need Nylander

Bertuzzi will bring a unique element to our top 9 for a long time

He won't score as much as Nylander or those guys will, but he does a lot of other useful things that help teams win

I understand you're going for a cap space angle but Toronto isn't in a dire situation

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Nylander is underrated.

Yeah man, for sure.

View attachment 374379

Checked Willie's entry/exit and other "advanced" stats. He is a clear second stringer behind Matthews, Tavares, Marner and even Hyman. Willie=Kapanen regular season.

I d say he is overrated if anything based the advanced stats. However advanced stats are IMO trash and personally I d think he is the 4th best forward in a about 10th best team in the NHL.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
Toronto will get power forward, can play any position, get rid of bad contract
Red Wings get very good second line center
holy moly no way the Leafs would even consider this trade :laugh::laugh::laugh:
Bertuzzi doesn't even hold a candle to Nylander.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad