Speculation: Nylander Discussion - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

FelixPotvin29

Oct 21, 2012
Tavares didn't take a discount at 11m
Matthews WON'T take a discount and will want atleast 11m+
Marner will want his around 7.5

why should Nylander be the one sacrificing?
Respect to him for holding out. Shanahan just sounds like a greedy prick in his interview.
HF loves their golden boys on good contracts but I like it when players go out and get what they are worth.

Taveres did take a discount.

I think the Leafs would be happy at 11m for Matthews and 7.5 Marner so what are you talking about?

member 147413

Can we just do 6.75x7 and call it a day? That’s where all his comparables are considering inflation, he’s gotten himself a good opportunity, with a good team, in a great city. I know and he knows he’s better than a 6.75 player, but you don’t pay on potential.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
The thing about the Shanahan comment is did he do the same thing when he left NJ to sign with the Blues? Was he looking out for the team when he wanted out of Hartford? I'm sure Shanahan knows that. You go from employee to boss, perspectives can and do change. Not saying what Shanahan said was wrong, just that it makes sense. It's tough to beat the hard cap, and he now has to look out for the collective, not just the individual.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
He's the highest paid player in the NHL this year.

Not by the only metric that matters, what's with you people and the highest paid line. No one cares about actual dollars, all that matters is caphit. This is such a stupid talking point.

Tavares to Marner

Dec 20, 2011
Hamilton
He took a 500k discount, if that even. If you ask me, I'd say he's worth every penny even at a max contract. I'm sure Leafs fans will feel the same with Matthews at whatever number he signs.

Matthews shouldn't get above 9.5 to 10.5, which he is worth imo

McDavid is worth max, Drai isn't worth 8.5

Feb 24, 2017
Tavares didn't take a discount at 11m
Matthews WON'T take a discount and will want atleast 11m+
Marner will want his around 7.5

why should Nylander be the one sacrificing?
Respect to him for holding out. Shanahan just sounds like a greedy prick in his interview.
HF loves their golden boys on good contracts but I like it when players go out and get what they are worth.
Nobody is holding out. He doesn’t have a contract.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Would we be having this discussion if Lou was still GM?
Would Shanahan be talking publicly about taking discounts?
Would he be signed to a 2 year bridge already?

Really a bridge makes the most sense for both sides.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
So.

Is Nylander arrogant about the view of his talent and what he deserves...

Or is Toronto being cheap, trying to force Nylander to accept something way below what he really deserves?

It's a player wanting to get paid and a team wanting to compete with a lower caphit. Everything else is just speculation and posturing if this was any other team than Montreal or Toronto this never hits 4 threads.

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
I have a feeling this is going to get nasty before Dubas has to reluctantly ship him out of town and it won't be to a contender.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Not by the only metric that matters, what's with you people and the highest paid line. No one cares about actual dollars, all that matters is caphit. This is such a stupid talking point.

The players care about the actual dollars. The team cares about the actual cap hit. I'm sure Nylander would love to structure a deal that pays him $10 million this season in signing bonus money. Why aren't the Leafs doing it?

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com

Now, if this is true it is a completely unreasonable ask in my opinion. I'd much rather deal him or let him go to an offersheet than sign him at $8.5. Sets the bar for Matthews and Marner way too high.

Nylander is going to need to decided what is more important to him: playing with the Leafs or maximizing his first deal. He isn't the bad guy in either scenario, but he can't have both.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014

I think he'll get 11m minimum tbh. you'll be very disappointed if you think he'll take 8 years at anything less. especially with cap going up.
No way he's taking second fiddle money to Tavares.

Drai is a little overpaid now but that contract will be good/great in a year or so
People laughed at Hall's contract when it was signed. 6m is a steal now

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Whats there to continue? What is there to talk about, that hasnt been said already? lol
Indeed.
I've seen some posters make the same point, but reworded, a 100+ times already.
That's without any real information to contemplate.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Now, if this is true it is a completely unreasonable ask in my opinion. I'd much rather deal him or let him go to an offersheet than sign him at $8.5. Sets the bar for Matthews and Marner way too high.

Nylander is going to need to decided what is more important to him: playing with the Leafs or maximizing his first deal. He isn't the bad guy in either scenario, but he can't have both.

Dreger is pure clickbait look at that wording. "I don't believe" no mention of sources or I've heard, it's just his opinion.

Reactions: Nizdizzle

Tavares to Marner

Dec 20, 2011
Hamilton
I think he'll get 11m minimum tbh. you'll be very disappointed if you think he'll take 8 years at anything less. especially with cap going up.
No way he's taking second fiddle money to Tavares.

Drai is a little overpaid now but that contract will be good/great in a year or so
People laughed at Hall's contract when it was signed. 6m is a steal now

6M for hall is disgustingly good, this guy is gonna have another monster season for sure

Matthews contract is gonna set the basis for the entire NHLs youngsters I feel, gonna be huge in separating that 2nd gap of stars from McDavid

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
The players care about the actual dollars. The team cares about the actual cap hit. I'm sure Nylander would love to structure a deal that pays him $10 million this season in signing bonus money. Why aren't the Leafs doing it?

If they can find a way to do that and keep the caphit reasonable I'm sure they would. All that matters is the caphit to MLSE.

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
I don't understand all this discount talk. It's been reported that Nylander is asking for 8 million per year and isn't worth 8 million so how is it a discount if he's asking for grossly more than he's worth. The Leafs management are being polite by asking him to take a discount rather calling him out for being delusional about his self worth. They're basically validating his self worth and asking him to take what he's actually worth without insulting him. Which to Nylander would be a discount but in reality be market value.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Taking less money at 11m after you've already made a decent bank in your career is different than asking someone who's in the 6-7m range to take a discount though.

Also consider that Tavares has a lot more endorsement opportunity than Nylander. He's the hometown boy and Nylander is 4th on the team in terms of endorsements.

shanny is talking about willi taking a discount from his 8m per demand.

Last edited by a moderator:

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009

How do you establish that value for Matthews when Tavares got 11m?

Matthews already has one season as a 40 goal scorer, another where he was on pace for that. Over PPG pace in his second season. Unless he takes regresses this year, he's worth as much or more than Tavares (who btw has never scored 40g in his career).

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
He took a 500k discount, if that even. If you ask me, I'd say he's worth every penny even at a max contract. I'm sure Leafs fans will feel the same with Matthews at whatever number he signs.

Youre exact quote was

I like it when players go out and get what they are worth.

He was worth max, offered lass than max, and asked for ever less than what was offered. You must have not liked that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad