Speculation: Nylander Discussion - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Management (Both Dubas and Shanahan) have both explicitly commented on trying/hoping to get players signed on discounts. How is it a "pipedream invented by Leafs fans". What a dumb post.
Its also very dumb to ask your player to take a paycut after signing Tavares as a UFA 11M. f*** discount on your first real NHL contract, it’s your future.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Where have they ever explicitly stated that they expect their players to take discounts?

Seems like something you wouldn't want to say publicly, not a very good look and probably bad for negotiations.
I'm not doing your research for you. Shanahan made his comments yesterday should be easy to look up, Dubas has mentioned in numerous times over the course of the summer that he spoke with Matthews/Marner/Nylander prior to signing Tavares, and that they were all aware of what signing him would mean in regards to the cap.

Its also very dumb to ask your player to take a paycut after signing Tavares as a UFA 11M. **** discount on your first real NHL contract, it’s your future.
They should have spoken up when Dubas asked them prior to signing Nylander then. Nylander should have been fully aware that his slice of the pie would decrease with Tavares coming in.

Reactions: Dustin

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
Tavares didn't take a discount at 11m
Matthews WON'T take a discount and will want atleast 11m+
Marner will want his around 7.5

why should Nylander be the one sacrificing?
Respect to him for holding out. Shanahan just sounds like a greedy prick in his interview.
HF loves their golden boys on good contracts but I like it when players go out and get what they are worth.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
Matthews is going to want at least 10.5 million a season next year. For Shanahan to suggest he should take a discount, while the team goes out and makes Tavares the highest paid player this season is laughable.

I predict both Marner and Matthews hold out next year. Maybe Nylander joins them.

I agree here. If I am one of the Leaf home grown players I would take no discount after seeing the big payday to the outside talent.

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
If he refuses to sign. Does a Faulk for Nylander become more attractive? Otherwise, lose him to the Sweden?

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
Its also very dumb to ask your player to take a paycut after signing Tavares as a UFA 11M. **** discount on your first real NHL contract, it’s your future.

Yeah Tavares has earned I think like around $30 mill up to now. Or something like that.

So for them to say look at what Tavares did in reference to Nylander, It just sounds so..... Im not even sure of the word.
Just comparing apples to oranges.

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009
I'm not doing your research for you. Shanahan made his comments yesterday should be easy to look up, Dubas has mentioned in numerous times over the course of the summer that he spoke with Matthews/Marner/Nylander prior to signing Tavares, and that they were all aware of what signing him would mean in regards to the cap.
The Shanahan comment yesterday was anything but explicit. It was just him throwing shade because Nylander has yet to sign a team friendly contract for the privilege of playing for the Leafs.

Outright saying you expect your players to take a discount is dumb. You lose all leverage at that point because you're essentially saying "Yeah, we know we're lowballing you". Why would you do that as opposed to stand pat and just say you think you're offering a fair value?

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012

Respect to him for holding out. Shanahan just sounds like a greedy prick in his interview.
HF loves their golden boys on good contracts but I like it when players go out and get what they are worth.

Well I mean I guess you have to take the position after that Draisaitl contract.

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
You can handpick the Leaf Haters in this tread just by the objectivity based on responses.

Relax, the Leafs haven't and won't implode. we'll dodge this bullet just like we always do and you can go back to hating on something else....

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto

You must have been pissed when McDavid asked to be paid less than Edmonton was offering

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Yeah Tavares has earned I think like around $30 mill up to now. Or something like that.

So for them to say look at what Tavares did in reference to Nylander, It just sounds so..... Im not even sure of the word.
Just comparing apples to oranges.

At Nylanders age, Tavares left a lot on the table. At Tavares age, Nylander can sign his retirement contract.

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009
This part is not true. He took less money to play here.
Taking less money at 11m after you've already made a decent bank in your career is different than asking someone who's in the 6-7m range to take a discount though.

Also consider that Tavares has a lot more endorsement opportunity than Nylander. He's the hometown boy and Nylander is 4th on the team in terms of endorsements.

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
Leafs haven't dodged thaaaat many bullets in the past 50 years

I'm guessing you're one of those unobjective leaf haters I was referring to.

I'm not suggested thaaaaaat we did - I'm suggesting thaaat we will.

[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
So.

Is Nylander arrogant about the view of his talent and what he deserves...

Or is Toronto being cheap, trying to force Nylander to accept something way below what he really deserves?

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
Well I mean I guess you have to take the position after that Draisaitl contract.
If you want Nylander locked up for 8 years, good luck getting him at anything under 7.5 or even 8m. Term matters.
If we wanted Drai for 6 years, he would have taken 6.5 or 7.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Taking less money at 11m after you've already made a decent bank in your career is different than asking someone who's in the 6-7m range to take a discount though.

Also consider that Tavares has a lot more endorsement opportunity than Nylander. He's the hometown boy and Nylander is 4th on the team in terms of endorsements.
It's also different to pay a UFA for his career accomplishments and to pay a RFA kid for his potential accomplishments. We're comparing apples and oranges.

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009
So.

Is Nylander arrogant about the view of his talent and what he deserves...

Or is Toronto being cheap, trying to force Nylander to accept something way below what he really deserves?
Most likely a little of a and a little of b.

Hard time believing that Dubas has offered him 8*7....I'd imagine we'd have a done deal if that was the case.

Also have a hard time believing that it's a super low offer like 8*6.

Probably somewhere in the 6.2-6.4m range. Which is both an understandable offer and an understandable rejection.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
You must have been pissed when McDavid asked to be paid less than Edmonton was offering
He took a 500k discount, if that even. If you ask me, I'd say he's worth every penny even at a max contract. I'm sure Leafs fans will feel the same with Matthews at whatever number he signs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad