Nylander contract talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
You know... I've probably had a few too many post work cocktails this evening, but I've been thinking about this whole Nylander contract and it's left me puzzled.

Nylander wasn't at training camp or at the beginning of the preseason because it's that important for him that he has about $45 million in the bank by his mid 20's, as opposed to just around $40 million. I mean... that isn't just a "first world problem", no... it's a "utterly elite 0.0001% of the first world problem".

We'll see someone going paycheck to paycheck and complain about cable prices, and many of us roll our eyes and scoff "first world problem". Yet we mostly show understanding when an utterly elite millionaire athlete (when he's going to be filthy filthy rich anyways) holds out for a few extra million.

I know MLSE is a corporation and all about the money as well... but at least when it comes to this negotiation, it's about the cap. They're trying to put together a winning team. But Nylander is pretty much coming right out and saying "I don't care about the cap. I don't care about the teams success. I don't care about the fans. I only care about ME making a few extra million when I'm already filthy rich." And we all nod and say "We understand Nylander. We'd do the same."

I so often see people mocking those "lazy" teachers when there are contract disputes/strikes, and those teachers are far from being millionaires like Nylander. Yet the teachers still know to at least try and make it appear about the students. Imagine the teachers were like Nylander and pretty much came right out and said "We don't care about the students. We don't care about their facilities and supplies. We only care about US and the money we make." It wouldn't be tolerated. But yet millionaire athletes holding out for extra millions are defended.

It's absolutely insane that Nylander is doing this. Really, it's insane. A borderline unprecedented level of greed. But it's also somehow normal. It's what all the other athletes in professional sports are doing as well, which I guess somehow makes is ok.

That's it for me. I'm going to pour another one. I fully expect this drunken rant to be thoroughly mocked and look forward to reading those responses in the morning. Adios.
You know... I've probably had a few too many post work cocktails this evening, but I've been thinking about this whole Nylander contract and it's left me puzzled.

Nylander wasn't at training camp or at the beginning of the preseason because it's that important for him that he has about $45 million in the bank by his mid 20's, as opposed to just around $40 million. I mean... that isn't just a "first world problem", no... it's a "utterly elite 0.0001% of the first world problem".

We'll see someone going paycheck to paycheck and complain about cable prices, and many of us roll our eyes and scoff "first world problem". Yet we mostly show understanding when an utterly elite millionaire athlete (when he's going to be filthy filthy rich anyways) holds out for a few extra million.

I know MLSE is a corporation and all about the money as well... but at least when it comes to this negotiation, it's about the cap. They're trying to put together a winning team. But Nylander is pretty much coming right out and saying "I don't care about the cap. I don't care about the teams success. I don't care about the fans. I only care about ME making a few extra million when I'm already filthy rich." And we all nod and say "We understand Nylander. We'd do the same."

I so often see people mocking those "lazy" teachers when there are contract disputes/strikes, and those teachers are far from being millionaires like Nylander. Yet the teachers still know to at least try and make it appear about the students. Imagine the teachers were like Nylander and pretty much came right out and said "We don't care about the students. We don't care about their facilities and supplies. We only care about US and the money we make." It wouldn't be tolerated. But yet millionaire athletes holding out for extra millions are defended.

It's absolutely insane that Nylander is doing this. Really, it's insane. A borderline unprecedented level of greed. But it's also somehow normal. It's what all the other athletes in professional sports are doing as well, which I guess somehow makes is ok.

That's it for me. I'm going to pour another one. I fully expect this drunken rant to be thoroughly mocked and look forward to reading those responses in the morning. Adios.

I totally agree. Plus it puts a pile of stress in organization, line mates and being able to practice with them. Leafs drafted him, he is on a great team and he’s a RFA. If there was a team to do a trade for an equal RHD I think leafs woulda made the move by now.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
As a fan, I will not look at Nylander the same way again. To me he is on the outside looking in, and even though I welcome his skillset, he has soured me on him as a "team first" kind of player.

Sure, no player cares if a fan feels this way, but they should. We don't know the truth about whats going on, but if he is holding because we offer 6.5 and he wants 7-7.5, he can take a hike, as I have lost a bit of respect for him.

This is a team that can do something special, and if he cannot see this, and holds out for 500,000k, he is not worth it. Especially when he can still make a BOATLOAD as a UFA in his second contract.

Same goes for all our young guys really. They will be roasted by this fanbase if the team is broken up because they only give a shit about money.

Last edited:
Reactions: dsred and Lauro

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
The way you went at it seems to be based on Pastrnak > Nylander so he should be paid less.

Based on cap %Pastranak's contract is worth 6.996 x 7 signed today.

Up to the Leafs to determine what they value him at. Personally hoping for 6.75x7.

I could live with 6.75 anything around 8 is ridiculous based on precedent.

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
The wheels-on-the-Nylander-contract-discussion-bus go round and round, round and round, round and round...

Reactions: kb

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Honestly his greed made me stop liking him. His family is already filthy rich and he’s all about money just like his ******* father

Yep

Business or not, I am really soured on him. I won't feel the same way, as a fan.

Not that it makes a difference to him lol but he will not endear himself to Leaf fans if this goes a lot longer.

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
Yep

Business or not, I am really soured on him. I won't feel the same way, as a fan.

Not that it makes a difference to him lol but he will not endear himself to Leaf fans if this goes a lot longer.

I like this post.

Reactions: DanM

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Honestly his greed made me stop liking him. His family is already filthy rich and he’s all about money just like his ******* father

Ask Tavares what happens after signing a team-friendly deal. He should have bent the Isles over in hindsight.

Fans/GMs/Owners are trash and turn on you in seconds.

Nothing wrong with players milking the process in my eyes even if it sucks as a fan.

Reactions: kb and Menzinger

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
You guys are screwed and I'm not trolling. I think Marner is going to have a monster year, 90+ points. If he does he will want what he's worth, if Eichel is getting $10M and and he'll assume Matthews is going to get $11-12M then minimum he'll take is $9M but why should he take less than Eichel? If he out points Matthews why should he take less than him?

In their fantasies Shanahan/Dubas/Babcock think they can sell these kids on the opportunity to become legends by bringing back the Stanley Cup to Toronto but they'll have to take less money to make it happen in a cap world. I really doubt the players and their agents are going to buy in.

You should be trying to get Marner signed now if possible, I'd offer him $8.5M, it will be a bargain in the near future. Nylander on a long deal buying some free agency years is worth $7M. You can always trade him for equal value if you need some cap room.

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
You guys are screwed and I'm not trolling. I think Marner is going to have a monster year, 90+ points. If he does he will want what he's worth, if Eichel is getting $10M and and he'll assume Matthews is going to get $11-12M then minimum he'll take is $9M but why should he take less than Eichel? If he out points Matthews why should he take less than him?

In their fantasies Shanahan/Dubas/Babcock think they can sell these kids on the opportunity to become legends by bringing back the Stanley Cup to Toronto but they'll have to take less money to make it happen in a cap world. I really doubt the players and their agents are going to buy in.

You should be trying to get Marner signed now if possible, I'd offer him $8.5M, it will be a bargain in the near future. Nylander on a long deal buying some free agency years is worth $7M. You can always trade him for equal value if you need some cap room.

Then let Shanahan know. You seem to have a way better clue about the leafs. This isn’t a Oiler, Sens, Habs or Sabers franchise. If we have to trade a few players then we will. We have depth and great management. It’s really not a big deal. Other fan bases are more vocal because their teams suck.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

It's absolutely insane that Nylander is doing this. Really, it's insane. A borderline unprecedented level of greed. But it's also somehow normal. It's what all
the other athletes in professional sports are doing as well, which I guess somehow makes is ok.

It’s not Nylander (or any players) responsibility to manage the cap for his team, his only responsibility is on ice performance. That’s why teams pay an awful lot of money for front office staff.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
I saw a post somewhere, I believe in reddit, that states that deals signed either after the end of camp or the start of the season take a higher hit in the first year and a lower one in subsequent years.

And this is what I think Dubas and Nylander's camp are doing.

Imagine this; Willy signs October 7th for six years at 7.15.

In the first year, where we have abundant available monies, his hit is something like 7.5...years 2-6 it's something like 6.85.

Some 4D chess at play here? I'm beginning to think maybe.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Nylander only has two times to go through contract negotiations, Leafs have to manage the cap.

We should understand both sides. Ppl should expect something to happen first week of October. It's gravy if it happens sooner.

It's not like Nylander Matthews have to build chemistry here.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Jesus people, contract negotiations last way into preseason all the time. Nobody is making a move on Nylander for this, just like they are not with Reinhart and Theodore.

We don't even really know the numbers involved, except by some rumor-mongering from someone who we all like to say have no insight into the Leafs anymore. Yet people are here talking about greed?

You're asking a player to potentially take a big cut from his market value on one of the two financial decisions that will determine his life's income, and as soon as he doesn't do that quick enough, you turn on him. All you're proving is how fickle fans are.

It's a preseason. It's a process made to give people people a chance to fight for spots, and to get in shape for the season. That's what you are getting bent out of shape for. Willy has a spot, and he's in great shape. Until he misses regular season games, there's nothing that matters that is missed here.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
The way you went at it seems to be based on Pastrnak > Nylander so he should be paid less.

Based on cap %Pastranak's contract is worth 6.996 x 7 signed today.

Up to the Leafs to determine what they value him at. Personally hoping for 6.75x7.

ahhh but it is Pastr>>>me willi and it's not even close.

34g + 36a season before your contract is how you get 6.6m

a 20 goal season is not how.

Reactions: dsred

ashs

Oct 27, 2007
Nylander only has two times to go through contract negotiations, Leafs have to manage the cap.

We should understand both sides. Ppl should expect something to happen first week of October. It's gravy if it happens sooner.

It's not like Nylander Matthews have to build chemistry here.

He was doing the same with with his entry level contract.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
If Nylander takes 6.0 Marner 8.5-9.0 and Matthews 10+ nobody will thank Nylander or blame Marner and Matthews for being greedy.
lol those 2 are way more important to the leafs at this juncture ,nylander s camp prolly wasn't thrilled at tavaras signing .
sad but true willy isn't a big 3 anymore

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

i'm sorry how are "we screwed exactly"??

they are all still leaf property ,,we can do what Caro did when their 5th/6th overalls became contract problems

they got traded for other assets

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
lol those 2 are way more important to the leafs at this juncture ,nylander s camp prolly wasn't thrilled at tavaras signing .
sad but true willy isn't a big 3 anymore
Marner aint worth 3mill more right now... anyhow that was not the point i was making. By being first and by bias Nylander will be judged harder then Marner and Matthews. Being nice to the team wont help him against the bias fans at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad