Nylander contract talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Really wish we could tempt Marner with a good offer now before season starts. Overpay a bit now to avoid the realistic chance of a huge contract next year. However, you can't really do that before Willy signs or he'll point to every statistical similarity between them and ask for the same.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
He’ll be signed but it looks like he might miss a few games if they aren’t close yet.

People blaming Nylander would do the same thing if they were in his place. Just let things play out. The longer it takes the more advantage the Leafs have IMO.

IMO, Nylander’s camp isn’t very smart to let things get this far but he’s well within his rights to do that.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Really wish we could tempt Marner with a good offer now before season starts. Overpay a bit now to avoid the realistic chance of a huge contract next year. However, you can't really do that before Willy signs or he'll point to every statistical similarity between them and ask for the same.

Yeah

I see some contract strife on the horizon next season, potentially even more than this

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Fresh sponsor..Canadian sponsor at that. I've said before it's a case of s young talent making a big decision. In addition his agent doesnt have many clients so he has to do his 1000% best every chance he gets.

On the game JT and Marner are going to be ridiculous. I liked Leivo, Clark. On D I think Borgman, Holl and Oz did well..Oz is is giant and already better than Polak..and Sparks may steal the backup spot.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
He’ll be signed but it looks like he might miss a few games if they aren’t close yet.

People blaming Nylander would do the same thing if they were in his place. Just let things play out. The longer it takes the more advantage the Leafs have IMO.

IMO, Nylander’s camp isn’t very smart to let things get this far but he’s well within his rights to do that.
Yeah, this whole thing made me spend the evening looking into past contract signings and what was reported about the negotiating process. It really seemed like a lot of contracts that ranged from reasonable to a little bit high came from negotiations where both sides strove to find a middle ground. Of course doesn't often say so outright, but it was my interpretation. And then you have the Athletic article highlighting the poor track record in recent years for player camps that try to force the issue.

It really feels like the best RFA deals for the players come from making concessions towards what the team want, and asking for things in return. I think teams are often willing to meet halfway, but with most of the negotiating power they won't respond well to being asked to do more than that.

Reactions: Menzinger

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto

whoa, we dont know what he's been offered, if its less than 6, yes id sit out, if its over 6 I'd sign it and get on with my career.

Reactions: dsred

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
whoa, we dont know what he's been offered, if its less than 6, yes id sit out, if its over 6 I'd sign it and get on with my career.
Things like this is easy to say, but we need to picture it from the player's perspective. In any negotiation, really. This is their career, and it's most likely going to be short. This is where they'll make most of their money. It's easy to sit here and think that they get rich anyway, but this is where they make the money that will support them the rest of their lives. And if they can get another million per year, on a 7 year deal, that's 7 million that might go towards making sure their kids have every advantage to start their own lives.

This is financially the biggest decisions of their lives. However much we want them to only care about winning, things like the above is important to them too.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Yeah, this whole thing made me spend the evening looking into past contract signings and what was reported about the negotiating process. It really seemed like a lot of contracts that ranged from reasonable to a little bit high came from negotiations where both sides strove to find a middle ground. Of course doesn't often say so outright, but it was my interpretation. And then you have the Athletic article highlighting the poor track record in recent years for player camps that try to force the issue.

It really feels like the best RFA deals for the players come from making concessions towards what the team want, and asking for things in return. I think teams are often willing to meet halfway, but with most of the negotiating power they won't respond well to being asked to do more than that.

I just want Nylander signed to a 6-8 year deal. That’s our window. I’d almost prefer a 6 year deal for a lower AAV during the years with the best chance of the Leafs winning it all.

Really don’t understand what his agent and camp are trying to point to for a justification of a contract north of 7M. Draisaitl is maybe one comparable. Every other comparable in the last couple years is in favour of the Leafs.

We can score a ridiculous amount of goals with or without Nylander and even Marner (when he’ll be negotiating). We just can’t afford to lose the centre depth.

Leafs need to nickel and dime as much as they possibly can on Nylander and Marner contracts. Matthews contract should be very straightforward and can be done tomorrow and I wouldn’t even be surprised.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Things like this is easy to say, but we need to picture it from the player's perspective. In any negotiation, really. This is their career, and it's most likely going to be short. This is where they'll make most of their money. It's easy to sit here and think that they get rich anyway, but this is where they make the money that will support them the rest of their lives. And if they can get another million per year, on a 7 year deal, that's 7 million that might go towards making sure their kids have every advantage to start their own lives.

This is financially the biggest decisions of their lives. However much we want them to only care about winning, things like the above is important to them too.
$6 million dollars is more than 99% of the people on this planet will make in their whole lives.

Nylander will make that in one year. I have zero sympathy.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I hear picture says a thousand words so here is to you Willy

GifsPro-iddoldol003126-Man-showing-a-contract.gif

gif-4.gif

Magic16Mitch

Oct 15, 2017
What people doesnt seem to realize is that a decent contract on Nylander is the KEY to Marners contract. It will be hard for Marner to ask for 8 if Willy earn 6-7 and puts up about the same points (which is very likely even if many are on a Marner hype right now). Why? Because if Marner ask for too much, then we have to trade one. If they are the same level and Nylander earn a lot less, we need to keep Nylander. Thus, Marner will be "forced" to take a paycut if he wants to stay.

But it's all speculation, the season is yet to begin. Nylander needs to be signed though.

Crosscrease14

Dec 16, 2014

Lol Nylander isn't some blue collar worker trying to feed his family. His dad was in the NHL, his brother is likely to be. His family is already very well off. I get your point but I don't think it's applicable here.

There's also the cost of souring his reputation with management by holding out too long. He's the most tradeable of the big 3 and if he won't budge they have the offensive power to trade him for a D. He has the opportunity here to play on Matthews wing and earn a monster contract in UFA and be on a perpetual contender.

I like Nylander as a player but he's not untouchable. He either signs for market value or ships out. His awful playoff showing didn't help his cause either.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
People need to remember, Nylander is the 4th member of the band. He’s the Ringo. You have Matthews, who is the face of the franchise. The homegrown franchise player. You have John Tavares, the home town addition, and you have Mitch Marner, the hometown, home grown player who plays with the hometown franchise addition.

I’m a Nylander fanboy. I’m less concerned about this situation than pretty much everyone, but it makes sense for Nylander’s camp to hold tough. He’s going to be the 4th choice for promotional deals. He’s going to be the 4th person people think of when they think of the Leafs.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
People need to remember, Nylander is the 4th member of the band. He’s the Ringo. You have Matthews, who is the face of the franchise. The homegrown franchise player. You have John Tavares, the home town addition, and you have Mitch Marner, the hometown, home grown player who plays with the hometown franchise addition.

I’m a Nylander fanboy. I’m less concerned about this situation than pretty much everyone, but it makes sense for Nylander’s camp to hold tough. He’s going to be the 4th choice for promotional deals. He’s going to be the 4th person people think of when they think of the Leafs.
he did get a deal with Adidas no? I'm sure he'll be fine with endorsements. he's a good looking dude

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Lol Nylander isn't some blue collar worker trying to feed his family. His dad was in the NHL, his brother is likely to be. His family is already very well off. I get your point but I don't think it's applicable here.
You don't have to be a blue collar worker to have a vested interest in your financial future. And there's more to providing for your family throughout your life than making sure they have food.

As for his father and brother, most people want to be self-sufficient. Don't think that really ever changes.

There's also the cost of souring his reputation with management by holding out too long. He's the most tradeable of the big 3 and if he won't budge they have the offensive power to trade him for a D. He has the opportunity here to play on Matthews wing and earn a monster contract in UFA and be on a perpetual contender.
Can't really think of many similar contract negotiations that have soured things between the player and management.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
What people doesnt seem to realize is that a decent contract on Nylander is the KEY to Marners contract. It will be hard for Marner to ask for 8 if Willy earn 6-7 and puts up about the same points (which is very likely even if many are on a Marner hype right now). Why? Because if Marner ask for too much, then we have to trade one. If they are the same level and Nylander earn a lot less, we need to keep Nylander. Thus, Marner will be "forced" to take a paycut if he wants to stay.

But it's all speculation, the season is yet to begin. Nylander needs to be signed though.

Thorougly disagree. Marners agent will be quick to point out Willy signed his contract after back to back 61pt seasons. Only way Nylander is used as a comparable is if Marner puts up another 60ish point season (which isnt going to happen).

I hope he signs mid-year or shortly after Nylander signs (you cant sign Marner first because he is going to get more than Nylander due to his better regular season point totals and playoffs last year, but then Nylanders agent will try to use Marner as a comparable to raise his avv).

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
he did get a deal with Adidas no? I'm sure he'll be fine with endorsements. he's a good looking dude

Yeah, he just got that deal.

However compares to Matthews and Marner last year, Nylander was invisible. I know Marner’s Instagram is like 80% sponsored posts for different companies haha

Dont Matthews/Marner have deals with companies like Adidas?

I know Matthews has a deal with Bauer. Marner has done a ton

Magic16Mitch

Oct 15, 2017
We have no idea who is most "tradeable" until next season when we know how much BOTH of Nylander and Marner will cost compared to their skill. If its by then is clear that it is impossible to keep them both, we keep the one that we can afford.

By then it might be better to pay 7 for Nylander than 8-8,5 for Marner. Why would we ever make that decision a year in advance? Am I missing something? In worst case we can afford to overpay Willy slightly for one year.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007

And he's gonna be the first one traded.

Reactions: glue

Magic16Mitch

Oct 15, 2017
Thorougly disagree. Marners agent will be quick to point out Willy signed his contract after back to back 61pt seasons. Only way Nylander is used as a comparable is if Marner puts up another 60ish point season (which isnt going to happen).

I hope he signs mid-year or shortly after Nylander signs (you cant sign Marner first because he is going to get more than Nylander due to his better regular season point totals and playoffs last year, but then Nylanders agent will try to use Marner as a comparable to raise his avv).

You are missing the point. Lets say we give Nylander 7, and lets say they both put up 80 points this season. Ofcourse Marners agent would want more than 7 but it would be impossible for us to "choose" Marner over Nylander. If we only can have 3 we would then end up with Tavares, Matthews, Nylander for LESS money than what Tavares, Matthews, Marner would by then cost if we let Willy walk now. For the SAME skill. You with me?

If we instead come to the conclusion that Marner brings more to the table for his price we just trade Nylander (if cant afford him too) next year.

Why would we already now make the decision to keep Marner instead of Nylander when we can keep them all this year and decide next year by trading the one that we need the least?

What do we have to loose by signing Willy for a little more than we want when we can afford it and just can trade him next year if we decide Marner is the one to keep?

Again, I might be missing something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad