Nylander Chronicles XXIX - The Walking Dead Version

Willy Stay Or Willy Go?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafsHome

Oct 17, 2018
Toronto
Friedman this morning on Nylander. He seems to think he's more likely to be traded than signed.

Friedman on Nylander, Leafs and pressure dynamics

“I think one of the things that happens here is people kind of throw around the labels, ‘Who’s got more pressure on them.’ I can assure you that everybody involved here is feeling a lot of pressure because Nylander is sitting this out for a goal and Dubas is holding firm for a goal, and there is going to be a chance that nobody here achieves their goals. I think it’s very possible.

“And you know what? If Nylander goes somewhere else and Toronto wins, he’s going to look back and say, ‘I could have been part of that.’ And if Toronto trades him and he goes somewhere else and he lights it up somewhere else and that team wins better than Toronto, Toronto is going to look and say, ‘That guy was ours.’

“I’m sure they’re both sitting there right now and there’s probably a mix of anger, frustration, regret - there’s a lot of different things. But I think the only honest way to look at it right now is whatever the plans were two months ago, they’re all awry, and that it looks more likely now he’s getting traded than he’s signing.
This Friedman clown never ceases to amaze me. He babbles on and on and then at the end contradicts himself. Unreal

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Forget it

Gross and Nylander Sr. walked into a lions den without even knowing it

ah the response of someone who made up a post alluding to them having inside knowledge, followed by "forget it". Alright another one off the insider list.

It would be nice to either have a real insider to shoot down these kind of posters or people not be so desperate for attention

Reactions: TML Dynasty

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Not if they give him enough to make up the difference between signing prior to Dec 1 and Dec 1. Correct me if I am wrong Willie will be making less money in year 1 of the contract so the amount of money he is losing is smaller than if it were year 6 of the contract.

I’m not sure we are getting the right information

If my math is correct-

According to the table posted in this thread on a 7 year 7.5 million contract the cap hit would be;
53,447,340 = (10,406502) + (7160136 x6)

The total contract would be 7.5 x7 = 52,500,00
52,500,000 - 53,447,340 = - 947,340

What am I missing?

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
Complete and utter speculation but I’m starting to think one of these reasons may be playing a bigger part than we know:

1: he wants to be ‘the guy’ on a team and feels buried behind our other superstars

2: he doesn’t want to play for Babcock....seems to be a demanding coach which is great but maybe not so for someone who has skated by fairly easily on skill alone.

3: he wants to play centerand resents the Tavares signing as it effectively eliminates that possibility

Again no basis in facts and very possible we’ll never know. I just really want him back on the ice for us! If it were just a money thing there should have been some kind of progress by now....

LeafsHome

Oct 17, 2018
Toronto
ah the response of someone who made up a post alluding to them having inside knowledge, followed by "forget it". Alright another one off the insider list.

It would be nice to either have a real insider to shoot down these kind of posters or people not be so desperate for attention
Why is it that no player in the NHL has been offer-sheeted since 2013? It happens in football but not the NHL.

You don't need a source to see what's really going on here

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Friedman this morning on Nylander. He seems to think he's more likely to be traded than signed.

Friedman on Nylander, Leafs and pressure dynamics

“I think one of the things that happens here is people kind of throw around the labels, ‘Who’s got more pressure on them.’ I can assure you that everybody involved here is feeling a lot of pressure because Nylander is sitting this out for a goal and Dubas is holding firm for a goal, and there is going to be a chance that nobody here achieves their goals. I think it’s very possible.

“And you know what? If Nylander goes somewhere else and Toronto wins, he’s going to look back and say, ‘I could have been part of that.’ And if Toronto trades him and he goes somewhere else and he lights it up somewhere else and that team wins better than Toronto, Toronto is going to look and say, ‘That guy was ours.’

“I’m sure they’re both sitting there right now and there’s probably a mix of anger, frustration, regret - there’s a lot of different things. But I think the only honest way to look at it right now is whatever the plans were two months ago, they’re all awry, and that it looks more likely now he’s getting traded than he’s signing.

Well those are certainly my emotions "probably a mix of anger, frustration, regret -" on this situation.

It does seem Dubas "discounts all around, to keep the gang together" has fallen completely apart.

Lets hope Dubas can find a way out to save face now, and that forcing a top line winger out for the season is not his plan if he can't get his way.

Sign Willy or trade him.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Why is it that no player in the NHL has been offer-sheeted since 2013? It happens in football but not the NHL.

You don't need a source to see what's really going on here

you don't need a source to assume you know what's really going on here

also you posted that you "know for a fact no one has offered anything for trade". forgive me but I read know for a fact! I read that to mean you knew for a fact no?

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Makes absolutely no sense.

Again, I can see you’re less condesecending now... that means you’re starting to figure out you’re wrong.

The year one cap hit being higher is based on his salary year one being divided by 60 or so games, as opposed to the full 82. It has NOTHING to do with his aav years 2-plus.

Now, if you don’t understand what that means, don’t respond with arrogance again. Just ask for clarification. Because you’re wrong. I will gladly tell you how it works. Just stop being an *******.

And you appear too stunned to see I have been refencing the exact same image from the exact same source laying out the exact same details this entire time as you keep telling me I don't know what I am talking about.

You still have yet to figure out we're essentially talking 2 different things yet you want your way to come over to mine.

I will say it again: Based on that capfriendly chart...there are ways to have a lower cap hit in future years...meaning year 1 cap hit is higher then years 2 through the end....THAT IS IT...very simply to understand and laid out with facts referenced from a legit source...if you want to "yeah but if this happens" to the legit dollars through the years then of course the situation around the cap hit will change...but that's not what i've been talking about here....I initially quoted a black and white post saying "there are no future cap savings" by referencing how yes there absolutely can be.

Now, if YOU don’t understand what that means, don’t respond with arrogance again. Just ask for clarification. Because you’re wrong. I will gladly tell you how it works. Just stop being an *******.

Reactions: Auston Powers

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Well those are certainly my emotions "probably a mix of anger, frustration, regret -" on this situation.

It does seem Dubas "discounts all around, to keep the gang together" has fallen completely apart.

Lets hope Dubas can find a way out to save face now, and that forcing a top line winger out for the season is not his plan if he can't get his way.

Sign Willy or trade him.

It hasn't fallen apart at all. From the reports we have, Dubas is offering market value, or slightly under, while Nylander thinks he's worth about 2M more than what the market dictates what he should make.

It's not like Dubas is asking him to take under 6M or whatever. This is like when Trouba was asking for ~7.5M after his ELC a couple years ago when the market showed he wasn't worth that at all. The difference here is that he at least saw the light after 13 or so games, but Nylander and his camp still doesn't seem to understand.

It's definitely been a weird and frustration situation but I'm glad Dubas isn't crumbling to really bizarre contract demands.

Nylander is one of my favourite Leaf players so this definitely sucks a lot.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
It hasn't fallen apart at all. From the reports we have, Dubas is offering market value, or slightly under, while Nylander thinks he's worth about 2M more than what the market dictates what he should make.

It's not like Dubas is asking him to take under 6M or whatever. This is like when Trouba was asking for ~7.5M after his ELC a couple years ago when the market showed he wasn't worth that at all.

It's definitely been a weird and frustration situation but I'm glad Dubas isn't crumbling to really bizarre contract demands.

Yeah, Dubas is completely right. Nylander is not worth more than $6 million. How on earth Nylander believes he’s actually worth $8 million is beyond me. He hasn’t done anything!

That’s why I’d rather just have him sit all year rather than Dubas cave. At least have Dubas set an example for future contracts.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Carlo Coli says trade him if he does not sign by Nov 15th. Unless there is a cap conspiracy, I agree and all I can hear is Jack Armstrong saying, "get that garbage outta here". :)

And what happened to the recently promoted TSN Joe ?

LeafsHome

Oct 17, 2018
Toronto
Carlo Coli says trade him if he does not sign by Nov 15th. Unless there is a cap conspiracy, I agree and all I can hear is Jack Armstrong saying, "get that garbage outta here". :)

Joe said no later than Thanksgiving lol

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

That seems like that's the plan. If you can't agree on a contract since the off-season, you won't agree to a contract moving forward. They are not budging and they won't ever. So you might as well trade him and get top value back.

We know half the league is interested and a couple teams are highly interested. If Dubas plays this right, we should get top notch value back --- with good reason. Nylander is a fantastic player.

Reactions: Not My Tempo

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I’m not sure we are getting the right information

If my math is correct-

According to the table posted in this thread on a 7 year 7.5 million contract the cap hit would be;
53,447,340 = (10,406502) + (7160136 x6)

The total contract would be 7.5 x7 = 52,500,00
52,500,000 - 53,447,340 = - 947,340

What am I missing?

According to the table, the cap hit is less in years 2+. Not sure what you are asking. What I was thinking is that if he signs, he will only be making say $3M in year 1 which means he is not losing as much as if he was holding out and this was year 6 of he contract when he is paid say 8M.

I also think 7x7 would be the numbers if he signs Dec 1. This gives a cap hit around 6.7 in years 2+ which seems where Leafs might want to be capwise.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
“And you know what? If Nylander goes somewhere else and Toronto wins, he’s going to look back and say, ‘I could have been part of that.’ ”

nylander doesn't care if he's a part of that, not in toronto, and not anywhere else

he just cares that he gets his money

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
That seems like that's the plan. If you can't agree on a contract since the off-season, you won't agree to a contract moving forward. They are not budging and they won't ever. So you might as well trade him and get top value back.

We know half the league is interested and a couple teams are highly interested. If Dubas plays this right, we should get top notch value back --- with good reason. Nylander is a fantastic player.

Yes, Carlo said that trades of this magnitude take time.

Reactions: SprDaVE

LeafsHome

Oct 17, 2018
Toronto

You make a bad assumption saying "top value back" - Leafs won't get anything close to a comparable - Shanny will force him to sit out and so would I

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
nylander doesn't care if he's a part of that, not in toronto, and not anywhere else

he just cares that he gets his money

And he has every right to want and fight for what he thinks he's worth... but it's definitely the perception he's giving out based on the rumoured numbers.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
You make a bad assumption saying "top value back" - Leafs won't get anything close to a comparable - Shanny will force him to sit out

A little ironic you say I'm making a bad assumption about his value back, while you assume Shanahan, who is not the GM, will force him to sit out.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Yes, Carlo said that trades of this magnitude take time.

They definitely take time. We know Carolina would be 'all in' and have scouted the Leafs extensively since the start of the season. Carolina has also plummeted lately, so perhaps this raises the stakes a little more.

Reactions: ToneDog
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad