Willy Stay Or Willy Go?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
To the people that say "oh it's just business" well it's not anymore. There is something deeper going on. I don't see how the Leafs and Willy can have a good relationship now.

How has it changed from how it was at the start?its still two sides trying to find a compromise on a salary/ term and each side seems to be fairly stubborn so far.

Reactions: hotpaws

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Nylander will be strong armed into signing the fair deal presented to him during this thread.

It's over, delusions of grandeur is over.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
How has it changed from how it was at the start?its still two sides trying to find a compromise on a salary/ term and each side seems to be fairly stubborn so far.

It doesn't seem normal to me what's happening. This is not a basis for a good relationship. I hope he re-signs to a fair deal and is a Leaf for a long time, I just don't see it happening anymore. I seriously doubt he will ever wear a Leafs jersey again. I hope I am wrong.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
It doesn't seem normal to me what's happening. This is not a basis for a good relationship. I hope he re-signs to a fair deal and is a Leaf for a long time, I just don't see it happening anymore. I seriously doubt he will ever wear a Leafs jersey again. I hope I am wrong.

Oh he will and he will play hard for the trade.

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
Nylander
Gardiner

For

Foligno
Greenway
Brodin
1st in 2019

Breakdown...

Nylander for Greenway and Brodin
Gardiner for Foligno and the 1st

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
One thing Dubas has said he remembers learning from Lou is: “If the only asset you have is time, use it.”

Every day that passes is costing Nylander money. The only deadline for Dubas is Dec 1.

I fully expect nothing to happen (short of a gross overpayment for Nylander) until that deadline looms large.

Nov 28 is where I expect Dubas to make a do-or-die decision. Either keep him, (sign or sit) or trade him.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Thoughts on Thoughts: Senators Uber and Black Cloud Club,...
11. The speedbump for Carolina is they have business to do. Sebastian Aho needs a new contract. So do Micheal Ferland, Brock McGinn and Teuvo Teravainen. No one needs permission to speak to Nylander, who is a free agent, so you can discuss contract concepts without penalty. Aho’s the internal priority as a franchise cornerstone, but his contract won’t go into Auston Matthews/John Tavares territory. That helps the Hurricanes with Nylander’s key issue: salary too far below teammates.

I strung together some tweets earlier today on Nylander’s contract situation, which basically said that I could conceivably see him neither getting signed or traded this year.

What struck me about this point on Nylander earning closer to his teammates if he was in Carolina, and that being a good thing is … say what now? If he can earn $6.5 million in Toronto – much less than their top players – he’d be less happy than if he were making $6.5 million in Carolina, where there aren’t players earning a bunch more? I’m not great at math, but I can’t imagine concerning yourself with Income Rel given $6.5 million USD is $6.5 million USD no matter where you are. There are arguments to be made for earning in both cities – one’s cheaper, one has fewer taxes, one has opportunities to earn you wouldn’t get in the other, and all that. But surely “playing with lesser players who earn less to make yourself feel better” can’t be a worthwhile factor.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
technically, as he is unsigned, he has no number.
pat-mcgoohan.jpg

Not a number, he's a free man.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Finally thread #29. It's finally going to be over...

I'm disappointed the lack of Nylander's number reference in the title.

In reality we randomly skipped 2 numbers from 16 to 19 so it's actually going to be until the real 29th thread, thread #31 before he signs :(
You've been paying way too much attention to this.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Today's the day that Trouba signed 2 years ago. He held out for 13 games before signing a two year bridge deal.

It is widely known Trouba wanted out of winnipeg.

Just like Nylander wants out of Toronto.

But he will be bridged.

And Dubas will pretend Willy wants to stay.

Leafin

Apr 2, 2009
I want this to get get done. Get him back and let's see what this group can do together.

I'd be disappointed if Brett Pesce is the only piece we get back in a deal. If they were to throw in a top prospect like Martin Necas i think that'd open Dubas' ears.

member 262271

I'm not sure this whole fiasco is deserving of being compared to the Walking Dead, but it's damn close.

roosterman

Feb 4, 2008
I think Nylander’s argument is probably more about being seen as an equal to Matthews and Marner in financial compensation (not an exact equal, but he doesn’t want to be the one that took less when they didn’t.)

I have heard this rumour many times and if it's true that Willie wants to be in the same range as Marner and Matthews then trade the bum now. It is moronic to think this. You get paid based on your performance / value and perceived future performance to some degree. Nylander is not at their level. Period. Does the kid who wants a job at McDonalds hold out for the manager's pay rate?

There are many comparables for Willie and an AAV of 6-6.5 is where it lies. If he is asking north or 7 it's ludicrous.

Grab a mitt and get in the game Willie!!!

Arrgggh...

TheOneArmedMan

Jan 17, 2011
Watch him sign a deal right before the deadline. They won't let him sit the whole season that would be just stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad