Nylander Chronicles XXIX - The Walking Dead Version

Willy Stay Or Willy Go?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
Haha he won't sit a season. He will not make the money lost back. I mean, if he is stupid sure, he can sit and lose money.

His idiot father sat out a season ....so why not his idiot son? I said this before...the only way for Willy to save face is to fire his agent and sign a deal pretending that he wasn't a greedy prick all along. If he sticks this out because he "thinks" he is as good as 16 and 34 ...well..sit

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
You guys have this all wrong, the people who say jt cost us nylander, in reality nylander’s leverage was gutted by marners stardom. Any way you look at it, nylander is the 6 guy on the team. That guy is never getting paid 8 mill in the nhl. If hes the 3 man its a diff story, but hes not even the third best forward.

Reactions: Sweet Leaf

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
You guys have this all wrong, the people who say jt cost us nylander, in reality nylander’s leverage was gutted by marners stardom. Any way you look at it, nylander is the 6 guy on the team. That guy is never getting paid 8 mill in the nhl. If hes the 3 man its a diff story, but hes not even the third best forward.

I think he wants to be the big fish in a small pond. Paid more. More PP time. Play C.

All the things the Leafs can't offer him. Why try to wait out someone like that? He's not going to magically realize "hey I changed my mind". He's already lost $1M and counting. He's serious about what he wants. Time to start believing him and move on.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
I think he wants to be the big fish in a small pond. Paid more. More PP time. Play C.

All the things the Leafs can't offer him. Why try to wait out someone like that? He's not going to magically realize "hey I changed my mind". He's already lost $1M and counting. He's serious about what he wants. Time to start believing him and move on.
Neg, let him sit and rot, we dont owe him anything, mise well make him feel it for f***ing with us.

roosterman

Feb 4, 2008
His idiot father sat out a season ....so why not his idiot son? I said this before...the only way for Willy to save face is to fire his agent and sign a deal pretending that he wasn't a greedy prick all along. If he sticks this out because he "thinks" he is as good as 16 and 34 ...well..sit

He did? I was not aware of that. When did that happen? Was that a contract dispute?

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
Neg, let him sit and rot, we dont owe him anything, mise well make him feel it for ****ing with us.

If he sits the year he should definitely not be brought back. Talk about a splintered dressing room then.

roosterman

Feb 4, 2008
Nylander
Gardiner

For

Simmonds
Gostisbehere
+ something small

Not something small, something gritty... He's got way better hair than Willy!

upload_2018-11-7_21-14-21.jpeg

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Still shoots left. Reilly spent some time on his opposite side ,I think as well. Anyway,I doubt the Leafs would want to pay all three Dmen the money they will command.
He plays regularly on the right and he is on the high end of what Nylander might return. Might have to add

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
No1 would admit it but i bet they resent him already inside the room

I think patience is wearing thin. I think if he comes back and works hard he'll be welcomed with open arms. But if Dec 1 comes and goes the players will want to distance themselves from him.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

I didn't even know that his father sat. Two different eras, don't thing this will be as kind. Not even sure if it was kind to his father either. Bouncing around is a pretty shit life, people hating you everywhere you go after a couple seasons.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Going on about the possibility that the Tavares signing has impacted the Nylander signed negatively.

I will give an example using Rielly.
Rielly has taken big steps in his development in recent years, both defensively and offensively. He has been able to do so because he has been given opportunities to be the go to guy on the backend and show case his abilities and polish them in high pressure situations. That is how you grow a player. And believe me, that will show when he signs his 3rd contract as the teams best defenseman, our #1.

Lets say for this example that it was Doughty we signed as a free agent instead of Tavares. That would have been great for not only the defense as a whole but still very good for Rielly. They could either be split up and carry an equal work load and thus both be given trusted roles on the team. Or they could be paired to form a super duo on D. This would be healthy competition for Rielly and it would not halter his development and ensure he would get his big payday at the end of the day seeing he would still get a lot of ice time and be used on the PP.

If we then also went out and traded for Erik Karlsson and gave him a long term deal things would change a lot for Rielly. He would then, despite his talents, be the teams #3 d-man and not be used is quite so many situations as he has been used irl or in the fictional example of Doughty signing with the Leafs. And when his contract is up in a couple of years, would he then resign with the Leafs seeing as it would be difficult for the Leafs to pay him much with two franchise defenders already signed. And he would most likely not have been given enough chances to showcase his skills and fine tune them in tough situations to be able to demand top dollars.

If you can understand that kind of reasoning you will understand my reasoning why I believe Nylander has not yet signed due to Tavares signed with us. He simply knows he has two franchise centers ahead of him for the center ice time that really matters if you want to be a star. And he knows he is not even the first choice rw as far as the coach goes.
First you say Nylander is better defensively then Kadri and now this nonsense. Marner got far worse treatment then Nylander the difference is that Marner is better and has proven to Babcock that he could play when the game was on the line. Nylander never has yet shown that he can be trusted to play when protecting a lead late in a game because he avoids hits and is not willing to do any thing to help the team win. It is not has nothing to do with being favourited and everything to do with being a better player period.

One more thing we were signing a center this summer has we not signed JT as the management and the coach knows that Nylander is not an NHL Center at present.

The excuses being presented for him not signing are ridiculous and you just won the award with this post and a couple of others in the last thread.

Marner is a better player period. No excuse he has been our best player since last Jan and that includes Mathews. He has earned the ice time he is getting.

Kadri is far better defensively then Nylander at any forward position at this time.

As to why he has not signed. It is pure greed and it is time he puts on his big boy pants and tell his dad enough is enough I want to be a Leaf and I am taking their fair offer and get to proving he is worth more then the offers thus far.

Stop making excuses for him and let his play speak for himself.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009

This, although JT likely had something to do with it.

Without JT, Nylander probably eventually becomes a centre, and becomes the 3rd most important forward on the team.

Right now, Matthews/Marner/Tavares are all clearly more important than him; and I think the case could be made for Kadri too, simply because he's signed to a contract that Nylander would never sign.

Not saying it was the wrong decision though. If Nylander can fetch us a player like Pesce (on the steal of a contract he's got), and maybe Foegele; with us sending something reasonably insignificant the other way... the Leafs are a WAY better team both short and long term, than prior to signing JT.

Assuming Matthews @ $11m, Marner @ $9m, Kapanen @$2.75m (2 year deal) and Gardiner at $6.5m.... trading Nylander for Pesce + Foegele would enable the Leafs to fix their defensive woes, retain both Gardiner and Marleau, and still probably have a couple million left of flexibility to bring back a guy like Hainsey for the 3rd pair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->