Nylander Chronicles Part XXIV: Homer's Odyssey Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
They don't need permission. He's an RFA, they can talk to him whenever they want.

I didn't know that, well as posters above me have said he cant be asking for something outside his range then. Either the leafs are lowballing him, $6M flat has been quoted by the insiders (cant remember which one) for people who are into that sort of thing. Im not, I trust no insiders on this. Maybe the leafs are refusing to climb up to high 6's low 7's which shows underpayment for me. The other option is the way the leafs value willy's talent if multiple teams are willing to trade for him and pay ~$7M while th eleafs are stuck at $6M then perhaps internally they undervalue him.

One thing is for sure if we trade him and he then signs 7years $7M dubas looks like an incredible amateur in all this, perhaps that's why he doesn't want to listen to trades?

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I didn't know that, well as posters above me have said he cant be asking for something outside his range then. Either the leafs are lowballing him, $6M flat has been quoted by the insiders (cant remember which one) for people who are into that sort of thing. Im not, I trust no insiders on this. Maybe the leafs are refusing to climb up to high 6's low 7's which shows underpayment for me. The other option is the way the leafs value willy's talent if multiple teams are willing to trade for him and pay ~$7M while th eleafs are stuck at $6M then perhaps internally they undervalue him.

One thing is for sure if we trade him and he then signs 7years $7M dubas looks like an incredible amateur in all this, perhaps that's why he doesn't want to listen to trades?

Bobby Mac has said Leafs do not want to go to 7.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Something tells me that the Tavares signing plays a role in this stalemate. I am not sure Willie bought in like Matthews and Marner have.

have they though? if they bought in truly they would have signed by now, buying in means taking a discount apparently so they shouldn't be betting on themselves to have a good season and taken ~$7-7.5M for marner and $10-11 for Matthews if they bought in.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Duffy on TSN nailed it for me. If it was just the Leafs lowballing him that would be one thing, but when the sentiment around the league is unanimous that he’s in the 6.5 range-that’s his worth-then the whole thing starts to look ridiculous.

I hope we do try to trade him now, so the suitors can speak with his agent and get totally turned off by their demands. Maybe it will wake up his prideful father, or maybe the son will actually take control of his own destiny. I’m so sick of this bs story. As far as I’m concerned now we are here because of one side and it ain’t Dubas.

If he signs with the Leafs for 6,5m he will spend the contract time as a winger and with limited PP time. Also with a coach who has no problem putting him on the 4th line to teach him a lesson for some reason. And the coach has the luxury to get away with it seeing the offensive options to his disposal.
And his 3rd contract will reflect this.

If he instead sign for 6,5m for a franchise starved of offensive threats of his calibre he will always be their first offensive option, he will most likely end up playing C, run their PP and not fear getting demoted for taking a few shifts off (or in his case more so appearing to take shifts off) And his 3rd contract will reflect this.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Bobby Mac has said Leafs do not want to go to 7.

that's fine but if the rest of the league would go to $7m then dubas and co are idiots thinking they can get everyone under market value and next offseason we are in for more holding out

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
have they though? if they bought in truly they would have signed by now, buying in means taking a discount apparently so they shouldn't be betting on themselves to have a good season and taken ~$7-7.5M for marner and $10-11 for Matthews if they bought in.
Well they can still increase their value and still be taking a discount. This I'm sure is also a possibility Dubas has to consider. If Marner puts up 90 points. 8.5 would be a big discount. Which would be a million more than planned.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
that's fine but if the rest of the league would go to $7m then dubas and co are idiots thinking they can get everyone under market value and next offseason we are in for more holding out
The way Nylander's negotiations go don't have a direct correlation on other negotiations. Holding out isn't something most players are willing or even have any desire to do. So no I wouldn't expect more holding out next off season.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008

7M is overpaying him by a decent amount. A few analysts have said multiple GMs have all pegged his value at <6.5M. He's not any better than Ehlers, and Ehlers contract is for 6M (and kicks in this year, same as Nylanders). Pastrnak is also head and shoulders above Nylander, and his contract is for 6.6M (also eats up an extra UFA year, because he was in the NHL longer) - even accounting for the cap jumping slightly since Pastrnak's contract started doesn't put Nylander above Pastrnak money.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
well that wouldn't strengthen your network, CLICK!

If TSN “knows” his value and what GMs would pay, Dubas would need a signed contract ... that can’t be signed... to understand what the market is?

Maybe he should watch TSN to stay informed if he doesn’t have his finger on the pulse of the market?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Why would that make him look like an amateur?

Reactions: Confucius

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
It's not about money if Willy is pricing himself above market value it's clear he wants out.

If he comes to his senses and signs before Dec 1 - it was a miscalculated bluff. If he doesn't, he never wanted to be here.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
The way Nylander's negotiations go don't have a direct correlation on other negotiations. Holding out isn't something most players are willing or even have any desire to do. So no I wouldn't expect more holding out next off season.

Marner's agent has the same record of holdouts as Nylander's, its his MO. I expect a marner holdout if it isn't to his valuation the offer.

They have a direct correlation if the leafs are offering below value and they don't want to take below value, it would prove dubas and co were very naïve when judging the "love of the team and city" angle.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Well Orr sounded positive yesterday about Matthews being here long term. I'd be happy going forward with JT and AM and trading anybody who does not "buy in".

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Difference is that you virtually stand alone.
on this board that's a good thing

-a few stood together when the rabid hordes attacked relentlessly for not believing in the almighty overlord Burke

-a few stood together when the rabid hordes attacked for believing we should trade Dion instead of extending him because he was over rated and wouldn't age well

-a few stood together when the rabid hordes attacked for believing the team needed to be gutted and built through the draft instead of doing an accelerated re tool

have i been wrong ? plenty of times but not nearly as much as when the majority pick up there pom poms collectively to defend the honor of the Leafs even against there own players , lol

but i need to know one thing , why has it been reported that a large number of teams want to trade for Nylander if his demands are so ridiculous ?

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Today
"Dubas showing his inexperience, he should pay whatever the highest bidder is offering, regardless of the leverage he has or how far that offer is off of market norms"

Signed for 7x7 in the summer
"Dubas showing his inexperience, got out negotiated and gave a greater than market norm deal, was too scared to use his leverage to get a good deal for the team"

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
7M is overpaying him by a decent amount. A few analysts have said multiple GMs have all pegged his value at <6.5M. He's not any better than Ehlers, and Ehlers contract is for 6M (and kicks in this year, same as Nylanders). Pastrnak is also head and shoulders above Nylander, and his contract is for 6.6M (also eats up an extra UFA year, because he was in the NHL longer) - even accounting for the cap jumping slightly since Pastrnak's contract started doesn't put Nylander above Pastrnak money.

how many f***ing times. Ehlers contract kicking in has no relevance, its when he signed it Ehelers chose to sign a year earlier than nylander, that's his problem. nylander hasn't ever gone 20 games without a goal either I think Nylande ris better than ehlers.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Something tells me that the Tavares signing plays a role in this stalemate. I am not sure Willie bought in like Matthews and Marner have.
To be fair we don't know if Matthews or Marner have bought in yet.
Matthews doesn't really have to buy in. He's getting paid. He is your franchise center.

Marner is a different story. Where does he fall? 6-7-8-9? And what do the Leafs have in mind?

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Who said the rest of the league thinks he is worth $7M? Lebrun mentioned that one GM told him he thought Willie was worth $7M but that team was not in a position to trade for him. Not knowing what AM and MM could be had for I might go close to 7 but not 7 to get it done and trade him next summer if AM and MM play hardball prior to July 1st.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Logic.

It’s nice to see around here sometimes.
sad how people keep ignoring the obvious

Willie's asking for way too much but half the league still wants to trade for him , so if half the league will pay what he wants how can his ask be unreasonable ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad