Line Combos: Nylander as a Center Discussion

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Ok. Try this on for size:

Toronto played MTL in a 7 game series. Tavares got a concussion in the first game, and never returned. Did Nylander play a lick of center the entire time Tavares was out?
Not a lot, but he took 11 faceoffs and won 8 of them.

Reactions: kb

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I'd try it for a good portion of the season.

Nylander can drive his own line, I want him on the third line regardless so we can have 3 scoring lines.

Hopefully, this doesn't mean moving Tavares to the wing.

Domi - Matthews - Marner
Robertson - Tavares - Bertuzzi
Knies - Nylander - Jarnkrok
Lafferty - Kampf - Reaves

Would be by far the best C depth in the league, and we become a matchup nightmare.

If Nylander can transition well, that is 3x 1C and a 3C as our C depth.

Before anyone complains about someone playing 3rd line who should be getting extra minutes, Keefe moves guys up and down the lineup based on faceoffs so everyone will get their ice time. Toss Nylander on the wing of Tavares if there is an ozone draw instead of Robertson (or however the lines are).

I really wish we never signed Reaves so Holmberg and Robertson could get a good look, I think Holmberg is super underrated, 30 points on the 4th line while being responsible in all zones is good.
With those lines, I can see the Nylander line quickly becoming #2.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I don't hate it. Maybe a full training camp and some extra time at the C will help Nylander adjust to the position. In the past we have just kind of thrown him in.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Wouldn't it be Tavares dropping down to third line centre? I would think that makes the most sense.
A tweet (Jonas Siegel) I saw had the centre depth according to Keefe listed as:

1) Matthews
2) Tavares
3) Nylander
4) Kampf

I don't think either of Nylander or Tavares at 3C makes much sense for any stretch of time.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
It’s great. Puts him in a prime time role to earn his next big contract with us.

If he puts up 40g 50a as a C and his line scores more than they get scored on he can have his 10m pretty much.

40g 2c is pretty amazing really.

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
I love it

Matthews
JT (for now)
Nylander (Future 2nd C)

Makes a lot of sense.
Try matching up against that. Willie will feast.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
With those lines, I can see the Nylander line quickly becoming #2.

It'd really be 1, 2A, 2B, 4.

Nylander and Tavares would still get 18+ minutes a night hopefully.

Stack the lines in the offensive zone sometimes, and throw out Lafferty - Kampf - Jarnkrok for the odd defensive zone draw too.

Reactions: Fogelhund

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
A tweet (Jonas Siegel) I saw had the centre depth according to Keefe listed as:

1) Matthews
2) Tavares
3) Nylander
4) Kampf

I don't think either of Nylander or Tavares at 3C makes much sense for any stretch of time.

3c is a joke for Nylander. Leafs at it again doing the old Kadri jerk around to try and get a discount.

If 3c is the case I am sure his camp will have a laugh. Just like any smart fans will.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I have posted this same idea many times in the past.

The concept being you divide up your 3 X $11 mil players with each on their own lines and that involves moving Willy to C and having Marner as his winger and building a strong top 9 and not a top 6 and bottom 6 as Leafs have been doing. Now fill in your wingers around your top 3 C's.

Bertuzzi --- Matthews -- Kane
Knies ----- Nylander -- Marner
Domi ----- Tavares -- Jarnkrok

The main reason behind this concept is that is spreads the wealth of the talent across more lines and softens the blow of having 4 forwards use up 1/2 your Salary Cap by forcing the opposition to defend 3 lines instead of 2.

"Don't put all your eggs in one basket" because then you face getting swept in the playoffs when you only have to focus on 4 players to shutdown the offense of the Leafs.

Last edited:

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
If it works, I am also much more cosy giving him 9.5 million. Not as a winger though.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Making Nylander a centre will make him more expensive to keep. Great. Like we weren’t having enough trouble trying to get him to budge from his $10 million ask.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I have posted this same idea many times in the past.

The concept being you divide up your 3 X $11 mil players with each on their own lines and that involves moving Willy to C and having Marner as his winger and building a strong top 9 and not a top 6 and bottom 6 as Leafs have been doing. Now fill in your wingers around your top 3 C's.

Matthews
Nylander -- Marner
Tavares

The main reason behind this concept is that is spreads the wealth of the talent across more lines and softens the blow of having 4 forwards use up 1/2 your Salary Cap by forcing the opposition to defend 3 lines instead of 2.

"Don't put all your eggs in one basket" because then you face getting swept in the playoffs when you only have to focus on 4 players to shutdown the offense of the Leafs.

who cares about cap hit...

Are Domi and Kampf similar players? They have similar cap hits.

Reactions: kb and supermann_98

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Making Nylander a centre will make him more expensive to keep. Great. Like we weren’t having enough trouble trying to get him to budge from his $10 million ask.

He is probably firm on the ask. They are going to test if he can become the 2c. If he can do the 2c he can have his 10m.

3c is a joke and he will know that they are playing childish games with him to diminish his contract year numbers.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
He is probably firm on the ask. They are going to test if he can become the 2c. If he can do the 2c he can have his 10m.

3c is a joke and he will know that they are playing childish games with him to diminish his contract year numbers.

3C is where he would line up, but his ice time would not be 3C... he'd still get close to 20 minutes a night, it isn't an issue.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018

Well I'm sure he can play center on the 3rd line, but is this the best use of William Nylander. No can can question what he can do offensively as a winger.

I still remember Nylander at center vs CBJ play-in series. It did not go so well.

Not a big fan of this.
Knies-Matthews-Marner
Domi-Nylander-Bertuzzi
Robertson-Tavares-Lafferty
Jarnkrok-Kampf-Reaves
Yikes. That second line. You don't think there is a defensive hole?
Screenshot_20230920_121221_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230920_121150_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230920_121113_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Knies Matthews Jarnkrok
Bertuzzi Tavares Robertson
Domi Nylander Marner

3 line scoring threat...let's go!
Interesting but if such a lineup would be proposed, I'd swap Jarnkrok with Robertson to balance defensively.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If he puts up 40g 50a as a C and his line scores more than they get scored on he can have his 10m pretty much.

40g 2c is pretty amazing really.

Well, he would increase his value as a player and then you pay it knowing he can be a center. Fine with me. If he flops you tell him he doesn’t provide Center line driving capability and we can go pay someone else that if he asks for too much.

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
I also want to say - I haven’t put much stock into the Kane rumours until now.

Nylander a RW takes the 3C and sign Kane to play him with 34.

Your top 3 lines are pretty killler:

Knies Matthews Kane
Bert JT Marner
Domi Nylander Jankrok

Oh my…

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Well, he would increase his value as a player and then you pay it knowing he can be a center. Fine with me. If he flops you tell him he doesn’t provide Center line driving capability and we can go pay someone else that if he asks for too much.

Maybe that is his ask before he signs an extension?

10 as a winger
9.5 if he gets to play center

:thumbu:

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
3c is a joke for Nylander. Leafs at it again doing the old Kadri jerk around to try and get a discount.

If 3c is the case I am sure his camp will have a laugh. Just like any smart fans will.
I'm chalking it up to a training camp experiment for the time being. I couldn't envision it working very well at all as any form of negotiation tactic.

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
I'm chalking it up to a training camp experiment for the time being. I couldn't envision it working very well at all as any form of negotiation tactic.

Line 1 - 22 mins/game

Line 2a and 2b - 15 mins each

Line 4 - 8 mins

I see nothing wrong with this.

Reactions: Buds17

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad