Line Combos: Nylander as a Center Discussion

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022

Well I'm sure he can play center on the 3rd line, but is this the best use of William Nylander? No one can can question what he can do offensively as a winger.

I still remember Nylander at center vs CBJ play-in series. It did not go so well.

Last edited:
Reactions: hockeywiz542

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Well I'm sure he can play center on the 3rd line, but is this the best use of William Nylander. No can can question what he can do offensively as a winger.

I still remember Nylander at center vs CBJ play-in series. It did not go so well.

Against CBJ did it go well for anyone?

I doubt it happens, but perhaps there is more support for it today, when you add a Domi and Bertuzzi to the top 6 it is certainly the most talent we've seen there in years.

IMO they should pile on more responsibility to Nylander and perhaps with a new head coach (Keefe being executive coach / figurehead) maybe they will.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Guy isn't good enough on the other side of the puck to be a shutdown 3rd line centre. Not sure why he would get demoted to the third line anyways, if anything that should be where Tavares goes at this point.
Making him a shutdown 3rd line Center would be a waste of his talent. I can’t imagine that is the thinking here.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
I’ve been beating that drum for awhile now. If (big ifs) he can hold his own on the face off dot and in his own zone he definitely has the speed and vision to play up the middle.

That added benefit is moving Tavares to the wing where he can cherry pick a little more and his skating is not such an eyesore, and having a RH center to offset all the lefties we have can’t hurt.

If Willy wants in the neighborhood of $9.5-$10m playing center and playing it well would go a long way to justifying that kinda salary

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Nylander against CBJ was a one game sample so wouldn't draw too many conclusions from that.

You'd need to start him at C from day 1 and allow him time to get used to playing the position fulltime again and remembering just how much more commitment and defensive responsibility comes with playing C.

Just from a stylistic standpoint, playing C gives him by far the most ice to use his biggest strength in skating.

Tavares has slowed down whether some want to admit it or not and this could actually be a nice transition with Will taking over 2C duties but theres still big question marks around his defensive accumen and you need to be consistently engaged playing that position.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Didn’t he play centre prior to getting drafted and potentially for the Marlies? Also doesn’t he play centre on the international stage?

Not against giving him an extended look at centre, if it works it solves a massive issue.
Yeah, he played a mix when he was younger/just drafted. Focusing on getting him to play C kinda went away as soon as we got Matthews.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Didn’t he play centre prior to getting drafted and potentially for the Marlies? Also doesn’t he play centre on the international stage?

Not against giving him an extended look at centre, if it works it solves a massive issue.

He sure did. Was drafted as a center and played for the Marlies a full season at center. He was our plan at #1 C before we won the Matthews lottery.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Trying to think of the lines we could run.

Knies - Matthews - Marner

Bertuzzi - Nylander - Tavares (this line would be elite. Both wingers strong along the boards and net)

Jarnkrok - Domi - Lafferty (feels like Domi has more potential than this and probably flips with Knies if he struggles)

Robertson/McMann - PTO/Marlie - Reaves

4th line I am not sure about an identity, but that top 9 is absolutely stacked

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Bertuzzi Matthews Jarnkrok
Nylander/Domi Domi/Nylander Marner
Knies Tavares Robertson/Reaves
Robertson/Lafferty Kamph Reaves/Lafferty

*Matthews can work with Jarnkrok and Bert.
*some great skating, shooting, passing, defensive awareness and peskiness on line two. Weak at faceoffs.
*I want to find out what we have in Robertson and Knies, especially with WN unsigned. JT would help them in the moment and off the ice. Going up against less talented opposition doesn’t expose JT’s skating as much. Reaves’ included in game dependant situations.
*Heavy teams dress Lafferty/Kamph/Reaves, include NR when speed is more desired.

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
This is a terrible idea, if it works Nylander's price gets jacked up for moving to a premium position in a contract year.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Well I'm sure he can play center on the 3rd line, but is this the best use of William Nylander? No one can can question what he can do offensively as a winger.

I wanted to see Nylander as a Centre from the very start, as he was drafted as a centre.

Matthews
Nylander
Kadri

NO need for Tavares !!

However now the idea is posed also as a potential way to increase his trade value.

Maple Leafs Toying with Intriguing Nylander Idea to Up His Trade Value

The Toronto Maple Leafs might try to do something interesting with William Nylander this season. If it works, it will up his trade value.

Nylander, who is already eyeing a substantial raise that could push his annual average value (AAV) past $10 million, could see his market value skyrocket if he performs well as a center, given the high demand for impact players in that position. However, this potential boost in value could pose challenges for the Maple Leafs in terms of affordability and ideal player deployment.

If Nylander transitions to center, he would find himself competing for ice time behind both Auston Matthews and potentially John Tavares. While one option would be to move Tavares down to the third line and slot Nylander in at the second center position, this would necessitate reshuffling the team’s wingers, a decision that may not yield optimal results.

At the same time, if the move works and Nylander becomes a highly-coveted player, it only furthers the player’s own belief he should be paid better than the Maple Leafs are currently offering.

Is This About Getting The Most In a Trade?

Mark Masters, a TSN analyst, and former NHL defenseman Jason Strudwick discussed the possibility of the Leafs following a strategy similar to the Buffalo Sabres and Vegas Golden Knights’ approach with the Jack Eichel trade. Masters highlighted that Nylander’s current contract, under $7 million, coupled with his 40-goal scoring record, makes him an appealing asset for the upcoming season. if the Leafs are thinking that trading him is the best or only course of action, the idea is to maximize Nylander’s value while the team still enjoys the benefits of his relatively affordable contract becomes a priority this season –second only to winning.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I've said a number of times that Nylander should be used at C more often. He's good on draws, can play C, and has the wheels and creativity to do it. Of course, he'd need to improve upon his defensive game, but being played there, might help in that area too. Some of these comments though... "shut down 3C".... I mean..lol, where does this idea that the 3C must be a shutdown position come from? It's complete nonsense.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
I've said a number of times that Nylander should be used at C more often. He's good on draws, can play C, and has the wheels and creativity to do it. Of course, he'd need to improve upon his defensive game, but being played there, might help in that area too. Some of these comments though... "shut down 3C".... I mean..lol, where does this idea that the 3C must be a shutdown position come from? It's complete nonsense.
I mean it's 2nd line C for Willy as the thought right? It's him and JT swapping spots.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Think that goes back to the Pat Burns/Pat Quinn days when the 3rd line was always a checking line.
Not the case anymore.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Nylander against CBJ was a one game sample so wouldn't draw too many conclusions from that.

You'd need to start him at C from day 1 and allow him time to get used to playing the position fulltime again and remembering just how much more commitment and defensive responsibility comes with playing C.

Just from a stylistic standpoint, playing C gives him by far the most ice to use his biggest strength in skating.

Tavares has slowed down whether some want to admit it or not and this could actually be a nice transition with Will taking over 2C duties but theres still big question marks around his defensive accumen and you need to be consistently engaged playing that position.
Ok. Try this on for size:

Toronto played MTL in a 7 game series. Tavares got a concussion in the first game, and never returned. Did Nylander play a lick of center the entire time Tavares was out?

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I'd try it for a good portion of the season.

Nylander can drive his own line, I want him on the third line regardless so we can have 3 scoring lines.

Hopefully, this doesn't mean moving Tavares to the wing.

Domi - Matthews - Marner
Robertson - Tavares - Bertuzzi
Knies - Nylander - Jarnkrok
Lafferty - Kampf - Reaves

Would be by far the best C depth in the league, and we become a matchup nightmare.

If Nylander can transition well, that is 3x 1C and a 3C as our C depth.

Before anyone complains about someone playing 3rd line who should be getting extra minutes, Keefe moves guys up and down the lineup based on faceoffs so everyone will get their ice time. Toss Nylander on the wing of Tavares if there is an ozone draw instead of Robertson (or however the lines are).

I really wish we never signed Reaves so Holmberg and Robertson could get a good look, I think Holmberg is super underrated, 30 points on the 4th line while being responsible in all zones is good.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

Da problem is not Willy its JT .. JT can't handle 2nd line C duties at NHL level .. he will move to LW pretty quickly this year except for faceoffs .. it was always part of da plan from day JT signed here

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad