The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Oh, I am not writing off either player as finished products. I am always preaching to give the young players time and curb expectations as they are developing. My issue is strictly with the D makeup not being ideal with both Power and Byram learning how to play D. You can have one guy like that, but having two guys like that means you have a defensive liability on the ice nearly 2/3rds of every game.

I also feel that both players need that second unit PP time to build up confidence and properly develop. Sure, they can go back to a two defeneman PP and have Byram and Dahlin play catch and use their creativity, maybe that works, but that is getting away from utilizing the popular bumper movement which has the best teams really pushing the envelop of hard to defend powerplays.

This team needs players that are best in slot for certain roles more than they need players with the most talent potential. Sometimes, chemistry, fit, and having guys knowing their roles and doing their jobs is more important than having the most talent.
Well said. Level headed take.

I'm intrigued by Byram the player. Im not confident Adams has a clue how to find players that fill roles that will lead to a contender.

Im intrigued about building around Dahlin, Byram, and Power, but Im not thrilled with having to go through the defensive growing pains of TWO players in our top-4 while we're trying to compete now + another one of our top-4 players is always injured and played far below his ability this season (Sammy).

Give me a stable top-4 guy (Ekholm-lite) to round out the top-4, and put Sammy with Clifton. That top-4 desperately needs a savvy vet who is consistently available to play. But, this comes back to my main point- Adams has shown to be ass at filling needed roles on this roster- so he's probably oblivious to that need.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
With Power, you can’t bury a d man at 21. The real cutoff date is 26 when his contract turns from 1/3 buyout to 2/3.

It was a dumb contract by Adams and unnecessary. In the end though, essentially, the 3M in excess cap hit won’t bury us. I think it just adds extra pressure for him to live up to the deal.

Ignore his draft position and his contract and this point and treat him what he is. A young top 4 d-man with a lot of upside.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
A Sharks fan on the main board pitched a trade down from 11 to 14 for Nico Sturm as a trade idea. I like it. Anyone else?
I dont like it as it is.i think giving up 3 spots that high costs more

Strum is entering the last yr of his contract so what deadline value does he have,? I think a 3rd+ prospect or a playoff team 2nd.

14+ NJ 2nd rd pick ,( one ahead of buffalo)=11
Strum= late 2nd/early 3rd

14+ SJ 2nd+ strum for 11+BUF 2nd

TommyDangles

Jun 18, 2021
A Sharks fan on the main board pitched a trade down from 11 to 14 for Nico Sturm as a trade idea. I like it. Anyone else?
At 11th you're likely looking at Berkly Catton, Carter Yakemchuk, Cole Eiserman, Konsta Helenius

At 14th you're likely looking at Trevor Connelly, Beckett Sennecke, Adam Jiricek Liam Greentree

Seems like a pretty big drop off. Would rather keep the 11th & go after another bottom 6 guy in FA or just trade a mid round pick for one.

Reactions: KrakenSabresMike

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
With Power, you can’t bury a d man at 21. The real cutoff date is 26 when his contract turns from 1/3 buyout to 2/3.

It was a dumb contract by Adams and unnecessary. In the end though, essentially, the 3M in excess cap hit won’t bury us. I think it just adds extra pressure for him to live up to the deal.

Ignore his draft position and his contract and this point and treat him what he is. A young top 4 d-man with a lot of upside.

That's not how it works. Every year you wait and the development doesn't occur you are losing value (assets). Buying him out for 1/3 is not a good thing.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
just joking of course but how many Mitts jerseys do you own to care this fvcking much lol?
None. I care because just when it was time to start making good team building moves, KA fell on his face. I'm tired of the same shit, different year stuff. I'm tired of discussing/debating/arguing about why our team sucks every year, instead of about why they're better. This summer is make or break for me, and KA has already hinted that he's not filling the 3C role with anyone new/better. So odds are I'm done following the team after this summer, it's exhausting.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I've always comp'd Power to Bouwmeester. I believe @Zman5778 was the first to post it, but it's something I've thought about since I first started watching him.

Until I see him develop other parts of his game, in my mind he'll be a solid but unspectacular top 4 dman whose contract we'll probably always leave people wanting more.

I believe my comp has been a "more offensively-gifted form" of J-Bow.

And I see nothing that'll change my mind. He's offensively gifted, but will never be physical. His defensive game will always be based around positioning and smarts.
Bouwmeester was my comp from the start too. I think Power will be better offensively but not quite as good defensively.

I think Power’s zone exit abilities are his best contribution. And it’s huge.

I’d still take Bernier.

Reactions: Fezzy126

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I don’t think it’s fair to say Power hasn’t shown defensive IQ. He hasn’t been consistent in making great plays at that end of the ice, but he absolutely has had games where he’s flashed that potential and been a force in all 3 zones. And it’s very normal for a defenseman his age to still be figuring things out defensively.
Where did I say he doesn’t have Defensive IQ? I just said it wasn’t as high as Hedman’s. Agree about the young defenseman figuring things out and how it’s a work in progress. I just question the chances of him figuring out under this organization based on the overall poor track record over a decade as well as the foundation of the potential.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
If you’re serious with this post I’m not even going to dignify it with a thought out response. You memory is also extremely off if you think Hedman has always played as physically as he does now.

He didn’t. He wasn’t when he was a prospect either. But if that helps you get to your shitty Risto comparison, sure go for it.
Might need to tweak your reading skills. Where did I say anything about physicality when it comes to Hedman? I’m talking about the defensive IQ with Hedman.

As for the Risto comparison, was Risto not an offensively capable defenseman with above average skating skills, his offensive skills carried his game while his defensive IQ decision making was what held him back in the defensive zone? I already mentioned the “without physicality” aspect.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Having a stretch of some of the worst Hockey coaches of all time surely had nothing to do with our Defense development. We should trade all of our good players and watch them thrive like Reinhart elsewhere you're right.
Of course it did, and that’s part of the reason why we have poorly or not fully developed players. And one of the GMs that had a hand in that, still oversees the organization.

And now we just hired a coach that more than likely isn’t going to handle the players he has, which are all young, with any sense of development purposes involved which is how the current roster is intentionally structured, Adams will at best probably bring in one vet defenseman as there may be only one spot to improve upon.

There’s a whole lot of teaching still required because Granato couldn’t teach them well enough or fully enough. And now they are going to another phase of winning now before the defense, a key factor in their transition game and overall game, has shown itself to be capable in their own end with a coach that may not be the best fit with that task.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Late to the ball when it comes to the Cirelli discussion but to me the benefit of him as a C is that he can play the most minutes and the hardest minutes. A good 4C on top of that and the sum of our centers would be a pretty complete package.
If Savoie or Östlund ever becomes NHL-level centers we can move Cozens to wing.

Sabresbyswords104

Dec 7, 2019
Sabres need to do something. This group without some changes to the bottom 6 Will not make it . Need some trades. That first round pick should be used at the days before the draft and some Young prospect to fill 2 spots and some ufa signing

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Where and when did he say that? Post a link.
Right after the Byram trade, said something about internally filling holes, but looking for a top-6/9 winger and a 4C. I commented on that presser saying that if anything KA should be looking for a mid-six C and a bottom six winger, not the other way around. His comment hinted at/strongly suggest that Krebs is his guy at 3C. Obviously Ruff will have more say on that but KA sure seemed to think he doesn't need a 3C/mid-six C. It's way back in the Byram trade thread or roster thread. Go look for yourself.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Sabres need to do something. This group without some changes to the bottom 6 Will not make it . Need some trades. That first round pick should be used at the days before the draft and some Young prospect to fill 2 spots and some ufa signing
What is the evidence the bottom 6 is the reason?

You dont use 11OA to acquire bottom 6 players

Reactions: goach

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Might need to tweak your reading skills. Where did I say anything about physicality when it comes to Hedman? I’m talking about the defensive IQ with Hedman.

As for the Risto comparison, was Risto not an offensively capable defenseman with above average skating skills, his offensive skills carried his game while his defensive IQ decision making was what held him back in the defensive zone? I already mentioned the “without physicality” aspect.
The ability to get the puck out of the zone is Power's strongest suit and was arguably the main problem with Risto's skillset. Not at all a comparable

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Power is more like Risto (without the physical play) or Hanifin, than Hedman. Fans need to really stop acting like Power had Hedman’s potential. Hedman’s IQ of the play away from the puck and in the defensive zone was levels above what Power has, or has shown.
Power and Risto are opposites in that Risto always made impressive looking plays while just getting caved in in chances against, while Power is most visible when he's being a softy but is quietly very effective at getting and keeping the puck out of his own zone.

Reactions: Diaspora

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Sure would be nice to have Wyatt Johnson on the team instead of Rosen. Or any of the other 10 picks that went after Rosen.

I think our amateur scouts are very much overrated under Adams.

Reactions: Jacob582

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Sure would be nice to have Wyatt Johnson on the team instead of Rosen. Or any of the other 10 picks that went after Rosen.

I think our amateur scouts are very much overrated under Adams.
Cossa - had an alright AHL season, much worse than Levi tho
Othmann - 49 points in 67 games in the AHL
Bolduc - 9 points in 25 NHL games, 25 in 50 in the AHL
Lucius - 13 points in 17 AHL games
Svechkov - 39 points in 57 AHL games
Wallstedt - alright AHL season, much worse than Levi tho
Lysell - 50 points in 57 AHL games
Bourgault - 20 points in 55 AHL games
Samoskevich - 54 points in 62 AHL games
Ceulemans - 12 points in 47 AHL games as a defenseman

Reactions: Dingo44

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Cossa - had an alright AHL season, much worse than Levi tho
Othmann - 49 points in 67 games in the AHL
Bolduc - 9 points in 25 NHL games, 25 in 50 in the AHL
Lucius - 13 points in 17 AHL games
Svechkov - 39 points in 57 AHL games
Wallstedt - alright AHL season, much worse than Levi tho
Lysell - 50 points in 57 AHL games
Bourgault - 20 points in 55 AHL games
Samoskevich - 54 points in 62 AHL games
Ceulemans - 12 points in 47 AHL games as a defenseman
I’m not comparing them to Levi, I’m comparing them to Rosen. And I’m also not using points as the main reason for not preferring the Rosen pick, even though Rosen had zero points in his first 7 NHL games and many of the guys you listed had better PPG rates that Rosen in the AHL.

I was exaggerating by using the round number 10, but seeing them listed out like this..,I actually might prefer all of them.

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I’m not comparing them to Levi, I’m comparing them to Rosen. And I’m also not using points as the main reason for not preferring the Rosen pick, even though Rosen had zero points in his first 7 NHL games and many of the guys you listed had better PPG rates that Rosen in the AHL.

I was exaggerating by using the round number 10, but seeing them listed out like this..,I actually might prefer all of them.
2 is not "many"

and I compared them to Levi because it's pointless to spend 1sts on goalies that are worse than our young starter and our elite prospect

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
2 is not "many"

and I compared them to Levi because it's pointless to spend 1sts on goalies that are worse than our young starter and our elite prospect
It’s all about asset value - Rosén is the least valuable asset of them all.

Florida had an extra goalie and they turned it into Sam Reinhart, so I’m not going to skip over drafting goalies because my unproven goalie prospect has promise.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
It’s all about asset value - Rosén is the least valuable asset of them all.

Florida had an extra goalie and they turned it into Sam Reinhart, so I’m not going to skip over drafting goalies because my unproven goalie prospect has promise.

Those goalies probably dont have the same value buried behind Levi on the depth chart and not getting reps. Hell, they might not even make it that far as Sabres—they could easily read the tea leaves and pull a Portillo.

Speaking of value, Rosen himself is a good trade chip for us that we could use to go improve the roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad