Confirmed with Link: [NYI/PHI] Andrew MacDonald for Matt Mangene, 2015 2nd and 2014 3rd round picks

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
If I had to keep one i think it would be Mez since his contract expires after this season

That's part of my reasoning as well. Move Grossmann's contract which looks worse and worse with every passing day, and keep the guy who walks in 4 months. They need to start freeing up some spots and space on the defense.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear if the 2nd rounder is conditional as well. Maybe based around MacDonald resigning.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Paul Holmgren literally has no idea what he's doing. They're scratching a better player in Erik Gustafsson. MacDonald sucks, the Islanders wanted him to be a big-minutes eater, and figured out that he sucked at it which is why he wasn't given a new contract.

If that were really true other teams would have traded for Gustafsson.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
It is BRUTAL in the sense we have given up our 2nd rd pick in a deep 2015 draft with no indication that he resigns for good money.

So yes Brutal is the right word here. If Homer can swing Mez into a 2nd rd pick that would be fine.

I'd be looking at the Ducks for Vataanen for sure. Would they take Downie?

2015 is loaded at the top but no one knows the depth.

And no way to your last question.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Paul Holmgren literally has no idea what he's doing. They're scratching a better player in Erik Gustafsson. MacDonald sucks, the Islanders wanted him to be a big-minutes eater, and figured out that he sucked at it which is why he wasn't given a new contract.

Seriously, do these guys not know Gus is just sitting the **** around? We have Grossmann getting worse and worse...he keeps playing. Meszaros is skating around being an unreliable defensive timebomb...he keeps playing. The steady, consistent defenseman who has outperformed both and has actual chemistry with Luke? Not playing.

Let's make a trade instead to replace one of Mez or Gross! Flyers Hockey! If they aren't both being hauled out this doesn't make sense at all.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Ahh, the immediate, knee-jerk overreactions of HFBoards. Gotta love it. This trade in all likelihood means someone else is going to be traded, possible even for (GASP!) a second rounder that people are going crazy over. I've got no qualms with this deal.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
It's being said it will be deep. Not 2003 deep but deep none the less.

Eh, all I am saying is drafts are always over hyped the year before. 2014 was similar. Right now MacDonald would be around the 3-4 best defender on this team ahead of Schenn, Grossmann, Meszaros and Gustafsson. We knewwwww the flyers were going to make a trade. It was 100% going to happen. Honestly glad that Couts and Schenn are still here.

It is a steep price for a USA defender. Homer got pressured into making us competitive again.

healthyscratch

Jun 19, 2007
Philly

Macdonald turned down 4/16 from the Islanders a couple weeks ago.

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
The whole thing is in italics. ;)

I didnt realize quoting did that lol. Still basically holds true. Anyway I think both sides made out well on this trade. The ONLY think I dont like for philly is if they actually give him his 5 million a year for 5 years. I dont think he is worth that. However IF his level of play comes back up AND he can hold it for 5 years, by the end of the contract, it wouldnt be an overpayment.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Ahh, the immediate, knee-jerk overreactions of HFBoards. Gotta love it. This trade in all likelihood means someone else is going to be traded, possible even for (GASP!) a second rounder that people are going crazy over. I've got no qualms with this deal.

Two players need to be traded for this to make sense. One of those players is a guy the organization has a bizarre fascination with.

Damaged Goods

Feb 26, 2009
Philadelphia
Still waiting for the other shoe to drop, but I'm scared. I envision MacDonald and Grossmann staying in the lineup and Gus in exile, which amounts to throwing away picks to downgrade our D.

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
Eh, all I am saying is drafts are always over hyped the year before. 2014 was similar. Right now MacDonald would be around the 3-4 best defender on this team ahead of Schenn, Grossmann, Meszaros and Gustafsson. We knewwwww the flyers were going to make a trade. It was 100% going to happen. Honestly glad that Couts and Schenn are still here.

It is a steep price for a USA defender. Homer got pressured into making us competitive again.

for now.... :help:

LOL....

gulp!

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Solid Veteran two way defenseman who can skate and who is young enough to become a part of the core if he can prove he belongs and Flyers can resign him.

The price seems a little steep with all those 4th round picks getting traded left and right today for pretty good assets.
I really hope they can find a taker for Mesz now...

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00