Confirmed with Link: [NYI/PHI] Andrew MacDonald for Matt Mangene, 2015 2nd and 2014 3rd round picks

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
4-5 million is about the going rate for a second pairing defenseman anymore. If he wants it, I'd be willing to give it to him. He's been steady as all heck so far as a Flyer.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
4 years 16 million is what i would give him. I would front load the contract if that is an incentive.

I would go up to 18 million but that is about it.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Getting him was like landing two players, cause Luke's play as just taken off. I know people may laugh but I could see Ghost with the big club next year.

Short sample size. Not sure about Ghost.

I do agree that Luke has played a lot better as a result recently.

Not sure correlation = causation here. Hope so.

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
So Schenn has been good with pretty much everyone but Meszaros?

Hopefully Macdonald is re-signed and Grossman becomes moveable for an asset and cap space in the quest to replace Kimmo. It's tough to say where the body count goes from here.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
So Schenn has been good with pretty much everyone but Meszaros?

Hopefully Macdonald is re-signed and Grossman becomes moveable for an asset and cap space in the quest to replace Kimmo. It's tough to say where the body count goes from here.

Timonen's recent play & comments on his future leads me to believe he'll be back for one more go around next year.

Grossmann or Schenn will be shipped out (hopefully the former), MacDonald & Timonen will be re-signed, & a cheap option like Alt or someone else will fill in the #6 spot.

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
Timonen's recent play & comments on his future leads me to believe he'll be back for one more go around next year.

Grossmann or Schenn will be shipped out (hopefully the former), MacDonald & Timonen will be re-signed, & a cheap option like Alt or someone else will fill in the #6 spot.

It would be nice to see Kimmo return if he can sustain a decent level of play but it's got to be at a discount after making 6m this year. Does he come into next year slower than he did this year?

Would hate to see Luke moves before Grossmann since they fill the same type of role. He's well rounded when paired without meszaros, young, durable, physical, and our only defenceman that drops the gloves. I think he works on his skating this offseason and comes back showing why we picked him up.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
It would be nice to see Kimmo return if he can sustain a decent level of play but it's got to be at a discount after making 6m this year. Does he come into next year slower than he did this year?

Would hate to see Luke moves before Grossmann since they fill the same type of role. He's well rounded when paired without meszaros, young, durable, physical, and our only defenceman that drops the gloves. I think he works on his skating this offseason and comes back showing why we picked him up.

I don't know how it will shake out but I would imagine he re-signs below that $6M number. How much lower? I don't know but it will likely have to be in order to fit him in.

I think the Flyers like Grossmann more than the fans do & I could see the Schenn's possibly being shipped out this summer. I rather it not happen but I wouldn't be surprised if it happened.

who does Ghost replace on the roster?
they cant find a spot for Gus right now as it is

I think Gostisbehere plays in the AHL next year with the possibility of being a call-up if the Flyers get the injury bug on the backend.

As for Gus I don't see him back next year if MacDonald & Timonen re-sign. The Flyers will likely move him some where because he's not beating out those two & Streit for a spot.

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ

:laugh:

Yea right. It'll definitely be the "or someone else" and that someone else will be 37 years old.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Yea right. It'll definitely be the "or someone else" and that someone else will be 37 years old.

They're going to be tight up against the cap so regardless if it's a veteran or a younger player it's going to have to be a cheap option more than likely.

As for Alt, he could possibly make the team next year. The Flyers are pretty high on him & he likely would have had some call up's this year if we ran into injuries on our backend.

Last edited:

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
4 years 16 million is what i would give him. I would front load the contract if that is an incentive.

He turned 4 years 16 mil from the Isles, probably looking for 5 years and 25 mil. Keep in mind he's been playing at the league min for four years and putting in ridiculous minutes so he has to aim high for this contract.

Glad he's working out for you guys otherwise, it's a bummer that Capuano overworked him to the point where Isles fans (including me) were desperate to get rid of him but hopefully Cappy gets the boot soon.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
He turned 4 years 16 mil from the Isles, probably looking for 5 years and 25 mil. Keep in mind he's been playing at the league min for four years and putting in ridiculous minutes so he has to aim high for this contract.

Glad he's working out for you guys otherwise, it's a bummer that Capuano overworked him to the point where Isles fans (including me) were desperate to get rid of him but hopefully Cappy gets the boot soon.

It's nice to have a guy like AMac who CAN play big minutes if you need him to on a given night, but not NEED him to do it every night.

sharpeye97

Aug 8, 2013

He turned it down because it's the Isles. Look at Vanek, he turned down 7 mil a year fro mthe Isles and acknowledged that he probably won't get that money anywhere else...that says it right there. It sad what's happened to that organization.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
He turned it down because it's the Isles. Look at Vanek, he turned down 7 mil a year fro mthe Isles and acknowledged that he probably won't get that money anywhere else...that says it right there. It sad what's happened to that organization.

He turned it down because he wants money.

Codith

Aug 31, 2010
Why the Hell would Vanek want to play in NYI? Guy is probably going to be in Minnesota this time next year.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
You think he is going to sign for 4/16 or less?

Guy was literally making peanuts, he actually got a raise because the CBA minimum went up he was making so little.

Like I said, we will see soon enough. But really, this just sounds like sour grapes. You came into this thread probably wanting and expecting to see us trash him. You're pissed that he's working out well for us (I'd be too if I were an Isles fan) so now you're going to try and bring the good vibes down by mentioning his supposed contract demands. I get it. You isles fans are miserable and like they say misery loves company. Sorry, but you'll have to find it elsewhere.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT

When talking about incentives why not offer him a solid base salary and a performance bonus?

If he can work his way up to playing top4 minutes and stuff give him some extra money.
If he stays on the third pairing he will miss the bonus but then he simply does not play as big a role as needed.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
When talking about incentives why not offer him a solid base salary and a performance bonus?

If he can work his way up to playing top4 minutes and stuff give him some extra money.
If he stays on the third pairing he will miss the bonus but then he simply does not play as big a role as needed.

This may be Macdonalds first and last chance at a big salary deal. He is probably going to be the most coveted FA if he hits the open market. I don't think he is looking for performance bonuses.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
Amac and Vanek are apples and oranges. Amac wanted to stay with the Islanders. Vanek never wanted to go to the Islanders and never was going to resign with them no matter what he said. That being said, Amac is looking for 5 mil over 5 years and if he keeps playing well for you guys he will get it in free agency, and his agent knows it. If you think he's going to sign for less than what the Isles offered you're dreaming. And I'm one of the fans that liked Amac and wanted to see him resigned.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad