Confirmed Trade: [NYI/NJD] Kyle Palmieri, Travis Zajac (both @50%) for AJ Greer, M Jobst, 21 1st, cdnl 22/23 3rd/4th

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Boston offers him a similar chance of winning as the Isles imo.
Agreed, but if as he says he wants to win, not about money yada, yada wouldn't his thought be about the best possible team to go to, not the best possible team to get in front of as blackjack says? I know these are not his WORDS, but his actions so its tough to say no it isnt.
Its kinda why I am down on him and I do like him as a player. He's a great talent and everything he seems to say is BS, makes it tough to root for him TBH

Reactions: MikeyMike01

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
Agreed, but if as he says he wants to win, not about money yada, yada wouldn't his thought be about the best possible team to go to, not the best possible team to get in front of as blackjack says? I know these are not his WORDS, but his actions so its tough to say no it isnt.
Its kinda why I am down on him and I do like him as a player. He's a great talent and everything he seems to say is BS, makes it tough to root for him TBH

Agree. His comments about him happy to have to not be the guy in Boston were stupid too. Sounds like he just wants to be a passenger. A great player elevates his game in the playoffs and is happy to shoulder that load.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I got some pushback from Islanders fans when I posted this, but it's appearing this is the case. They got good value for just trading a 1st, but what's the point of trading for something you already have in spades? I just don't get it.

They would have been better off going after Hall, Janmark or Foligno considering the price they paid.

I thought Hall and Foligno were better fits for NYI even considering Hall's warts. Difficult to know the circumstances during which LL pulled the trigger. Is there good information that Hall wouldn't have allowed a NYI trade? It doesn't make a lot of sense considering what he's said about NYI and given that his buddy Eberle is a fully bought-in Islander.

Seems folks are assuming Hall only want to go to BOS, but I don't know where that comes from. Could have been only BOS of teams that were actual options at the time he was traded.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
I thought Hall and Foligno were better fits for NYI even considering Hall's warts. Difficult to know the circumstances during which LL pulled the trigger. Is there good information that Hall wouldn't have allowed a NYI trade? It doesn't make a lot of sense considering what he's said about NYI and given that his buddy Eberle is a fully bought-in Islander.

Seems folks are assuming Hall only want to go to BOS, but I don't know where that comes from. Could have been only BOS of teams that were actual options at the time he was traded.
I think it goes back to the summer when Bos was not sure about Chara re-signing. The way the story I read went: Hall was interested in Bos but they could not commit until they knew what Z was doing. By that time Hall moved on. By having the NMC he ensured he could get there if he wanted to

Reactions: stringunspecified

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007

There was a rumor out there that the Isles offered Buffalo a similar package to the one they ended up giving to NJ, and it sorta makes sense. I know there's a whole lot of talk about culture fit, especially with the Isles and LL, but Hall plays LW and Palmieri/Zajac generally don't. The focus has to be on the guy filling a spot of need.

As for Foligno, Isles probably didn't want to cough up a first for him.

Reactions: stringunspecified

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I think it goes back to the summer when Bos was not sure about Chara re-signing. The way the story I read went: Hall was interested in Bos but they could not commit until they knew what Z was doing. By that time Hall moved on. By having the NMC he ensured he could get there if he wanted to

I understand Hall's possible motivation, but I'd still be surprised that Hall would nix a trade to NYI, and nobody has provided actual evidence that he did. It's just as reasonable to assume that Buffalo was holding out for a first to retain salary, and LL decided to take the Devil's offer instead b/c it offered insurance in case a center got injured. (I think LL would have tried to get a 5 center elsewhere if a Hall trade had happened.) That is, it is just as reasonable to suppose given the actual information that when LL balked, BOS was the only alternative. The notion that Hall would only accept a trade to BOS is speculative.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
There was a rumor out there that the Isles offered Buffalo a similar package to the one they ended up giving to NJ, and it sorta makes sense. I know there's a whole lot of talk about culture fit, especially with the Isles and LL, but Hall plays LW and Palmieri/Zajac generally don't. The focus has to be on the guy filling a spot of need.

Yes. It sounded like BUF's demand (reasonably) dropped once LL went the other way, but that they weren't going to take LL's offer at the time of the Palmieri/Zajac deal.

As for Foligno, Isles probably didn't want to cough up a first for him.

Agree.

I guess I'm saying that it probably couldn't have turned out differently, I don't think it had to do with Hall nixing a trade, but I'd have preferred it to turn out differently. Oh well.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Hall ain’t soft
Yeah he is (and I like hall)! I watched him here for a couple yrs. He is/was fast and could drive play but he is no O'reilly or Mackinnon
I would like him on my team at the right price, but he is no where near durable as Palms.
Enjoy him

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Everyone talking about everything except that Greer and Jobst have played in a combined 16 games for Binghampton and have 7 goals and 15 points between them.
They have been excellent for the Devils farm and certainly would want to resign them for future years. Jobst has to happy with the role he has had and Greer has some 4th line potential in the future.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I was disappointed at first with the return we got for Palms . Now I have to say that it is looking pretty decent with help on our AHL club plus what’s looking to be a decent position 1st rounder.
I’m just disappointed that Zajac hasn’t looked very good so far . I want him to have success and will always be a fan of his .

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Everyone talking about everything except that Greer and Jobst have played in a combined 16 games for Binghampton and have 7 goals and 15 points between them.
Yes they have been great for our AHL team . Glad we got done help there and provide some stability in the lineup there

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
I was disappointed at first with the return we got for Palms . Now I have to say that it is looking pretty decent with help on our AHL club plus what’s looking to be a decent position 1st rounder.
I’m just disappointed that Zajac hasn’t looked very good so far . I want him to have success and will always be a fan of his .

They’ve both been horrendous. Like, wouldn’t-claim-off-waivers bad.

loosemoose

May 31, 2020
Looks like the Islanders got absolutely scammed here. 6 points in 30 combined games for Palmieri and Zajac.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
I want a first rd exit and the best 1st we can get. As Ken Daneyko said in a post game lose with them, turn the page. Palms played like an a-hole, good day to him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad