Confirmed Trade: [NYI/NJD] Devils trade Andy Greene to Islanders for David Quenneville, 2021 2nd

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
One of those guys you never expect to leave his team
He had a full NTC according to Cap Friendly. He waived it to go to the Islanders. Probably Lou was a main reason there. This to me was a favour to the player by NJ, and Lou gave back a 2nd rounder. Quennville was just a warm body. I think this is a good deal for both teams. Greene didn't have to leave, but the Devils get something for him, better than nothing. Lou gets a Greene to fit in on the Isles left side on their D, which was badly needed when Pelech went down. He also didn't have to outbid anyone to get Greene. Really a sharp deal here by Lou.

Disgraced Cosmonaut

Oct 26, 2002
Visit site
Good job by GM Fitzgerald. He held the line for a value that would justify moving a captain of years. People here just don't get that character aspect. Some people really value it - Lou being one - and Tom knew that. Good for the Devils.

I think this is a fine, underrated move for the Islanders. That 2021 second round pick can be replaced and is 5 years from making a difference, at a minimum. By then, the current iteration of the Isles roster will have turned over. Dobson, Wilde, Bolduc, and Aho provide organizational D depth so that even if Greene is only around for one year, it's going to be fine for the Isles. The guy is a captain, leader, and solid bottom 3 D man. I bet all the vets feel better going into the last few games of this road trip.

The Isles believe in D balance and, at the heart of this deal, Dobson just really needs time to marinate. That rule requiring him to either play in the NHL or go back to Junior has to be revisited. There are plenty of players like him that are being jerked around by the system.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I don't recall, ever, a player waiving his NTC to go to the Islanders.
This is why I like the deal for both teams. NJ gets something for an asset that could have just played out his NTC. Lou gets a player he knows and values for a price he did not have to outbid another GM to get. This is a good example of 2 teams working to positive for both sides, and also accommodating a loyal player who wanted to play meaningful hockey for the Islanders.

teknics

@islesblogger/@faithfulisles
Apr 7, 2007
East End
www.theislesfaithful.com
This is why I like the deal for both teams. NJ gets something for an asset that could have just played out his NTC. Lou gets a player he knows and values for a price he did not have to outbid another GM to get. This is a good example of 2 teams working to positive for both sides, and also accommodating a loyal player who wanted to play meaningful hockey for the Islanders.

Who doesn’t have to even move his family to make it happen.

This is a good depth move for the Isles as Greene checks a lot of boxes.

It’s been fun watching the various overreactions though.

Reactions: Smitty426

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
Islanders need D help! You would think they would trade for offensive help! :huh:
They do need defensive help. They were one injury away from having two rookies in the lineup. Even without another injury, Dobson is still very young and not ready for more responsibilities. This results in shortening their bench which means playing their other defenseman more which leads to them getting tired and has resulted in a notable dip in defensive efficiency for the Islanders recently

but yes, they do also need scoring help. Badly

Reactions: Curufinwe

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Lou is beyond predictable. If Zajac was willing to waive his NTC I imagine he would be calling about him too.

It’s a fine trade for the Isles though. That return isn’t too expensive and he gives them some vet depth can help kill penalties.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Gross how?

Because HF overrates picks/prospects and assumes unless you land a legitimate star, you overpaid.

Funny note: The Pens acquired Ron Hainsey at the deadline in 2017 for a 2nd round pick and a nothing prospect (Danny Kristo). Similar package to this one. Seemed to work out fine for them.

Reactions: SteveH124

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Because HF overrates picks/prospects and assumes unless you land a legitimate star, you overpaid.

Funny note: The Pens acquired Ron Hainsey at the deadline in 2017 for a 2nd round pick and a nothing prospect (Danny Kristo). Similar package to this one. Seemed to work out fine for them.
Preach. The pick isn't even in this year's draft lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad