Confirmed Trade: [NYI/NJD] Devils trade Andy Greene to Islanders for David Quenneville, 2021 2nd

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn

Greene waived his NTC to go the Isles, always like it when a player does this. It speaks volumes. Also like it from the perspective, that he probably could have cost more without the NTC.

Greene gets to stay in the area he's been in his entire adult life while being reunited with the guy who saw potential in an undrafted 23 y/o and gave him a shot.

It's probably the ideal scenario for him.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
There are few teams in the league that wouldn't be improved having Andy Greene in their rotation and in their locker room.
No doubt.

He was all too often a whipping boy on our board, but the truth is that was because of him being forced to play too far up the lineup due to the dearth of talent on our left side as well as Hynes' 'system.'

I imagine Trotz will squeeze every last bit of talent the guy has left out of him.

Reactions: MakoSlade

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Nice trade for the Isles. Quennville has a lot of offensive instincts but is just completely hampered by his size and lack of defensive skill. He'll be an AHL/ECHL tweener unless he goes to Europe.

As for the 2nd in '21.... honestly who cares. I would feel the same way if it was a 3rd in '21. Just doesn't matter.

As for Greene, he'll slot in nicely and be a very good part of the D core. Probably will be lined up with Pulock.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Greene around for the next year or two as well.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I am curious what the prices will be for a proven top 2 pairing D man this TDL. I can easily see more teams in need of a Greene than the Isles that would pay more.

For me a 2nd rd pick is the minimum going rate. Especially for the Islanders. Under Lou the Isles have drafted 3 first rders, 3 2nd rders in his 2 years as GM. Greene is not going to come free. I am sure other teams that need more defensive help would have dealt a better prospect than Quennville (who was just a roster spot move)and a 2nd for him. Greene immediately improves the Isles chances of a longer playoff run and he stabilizes the D pairings.

A 2nd rd pick is the minimum cost for a top 4 D man at the TDL. If he was a lesser player he would be a 3rd and lower rd pick going the other way. Greene will be well supported on the Isles and in the Trotz system. I don't see anything negative about this move from both sides. Isles have hoarded their picks well in firsts and seconds the past 2 years. They still have all their picks in 2020. They can afford to deal a second in 2021. And NJ get a 2nd rd pick in 2021 which they would not have for a player that didn't need to waive his NTC.

This is simply a win win.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
pretty fair for both sides IMO.

isles fans: as long as greene isn't on your top pair, you're going to love him. cerebral player who never, ever gets injured.

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
This is so stupid. 2nd round picks get traded like a candy in the draft. Some team always will move down 10-20 spots to get a extra 5th. Drafting in mid 40's to early 100's is just a guessing game anyways. Difference between talent levels are minimal at that point of the draft.

I would rather trade a 2nd than 3rd + 4th/5th.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
This is so stupid. 2nd round picks get traded like a candy in the draft. Some team always will move down 10-20 spots to get a extra 5th. Drafting in mid 40's to early 100's is just a guessing game anyways. Difference between talent levels are minimal at that point of the draft.

I would rather trade a 2nd than 3rd + 4th/5th.
I'm not sure of your point. are you saying it was foolish to trade a 2nd, or not worth acquiring one?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Yeah, why would they want a poised puck mover with tons of leadership qualities that seems perfect for a Trotz system.

What a mystery.

I don't think Greene is terrible but that's a really weird description of him.....

---

After reading the comments a lot of ppl are definitley overvaluing the pick which is what 50-60 ish range next year? I do agree though if you're gonna give up a 2nd, you should probably aim for someone a little better than Andy Greene and add if you have to.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Yeah, that 2nd in 2021 might actually become a fourth-liner or third-pairing by 2026. Impossible to find that anywhere but the draft.

2nd round picks are pretty valuable. Yeah, they usually don't turn into an NHL regular, but you're still getting a really good prospect. Sometimes they turn into NHL regulars, and even NHL stars.

Andy Greene is no longer a good defenseman, unfortunately. The only reason he plays so much is because we have no good defenseman.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I don't think Greene is terrible but that's a really weird description of him.....

What do you disagree with you? You don't think Greene is poised? You don't think Green moves the puck well?

EDIT: So I just googled "Andy Greene scouting report" and both "poise" and "solid puck moving skills" appear in the first two sentences describing his game. So, again, what is your issue with that description?

"Has the solid puck-moving skills needed to succeed in today's NHL. Displays good poise with or without the puck. Is a good team player. Can log huge minutes and is a low-maintenance rearguard. Does not produce offense on a consistent basis and is not a natural power-play quarterback. Lacks the size to better handle big forwards at the National Hockey League level."

Last edited:

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
2nd round picks are pretty valuable. Yeah, they usually don't turn into an NHL regular, but you're still getting a really good prospect. Sometimes they turn into NHL regulars, and even NHL stars, sometimes even unicorns that glide along rainbows while throwing Conn Smythe's at the ice.

Added a little something at the end there. It's something like 35% of 2nd round draftees that even sniff the NHL and play 200 games. Common sense would turn that "% of 2nd rounders that become stars" into 5-10% (and that's at the top end of the 2nd round)

You may think the Islanders didn't get anything but it's not like they gave up anything other than a lottery ticket.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
2nd round picks are pretty valuable. Yeah, they usually don't turn into an NHL regular, but you're still getting a really good prospect. Sometimes they turn into NHL regulars, and even NHL stars.

Andy Greene is no longer a good defenseman, unfortunately. The only reason he plays so much is because we have no good defenseman.
Let's see how a no-longer-good defenseman suddenly looks on a team that actually plays defense.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
Meh, I don’t really have strong feelings about the deal. He’s an upgrade and still a solid player. I’m also not sure why fans are trying to hammer his age home. If you have no intention of resigning a rental and he’s still effective, who really cares how old he is? It’s not like they’re eating a contract until he’s 45.

In my honest opinion, A useful 37 year old pending UFA is just as useful as a 28 year old pending UFA if you can’t afford their next contract anyway.

Reactions: Seph

Hally BlackWood

Jul 31, 2010
Thunder Bay
Good pick up for the islanders. I know most devils fans saying he’s trash but he’s a decent dman nothing fancy but does his job. You can do a lot worse then him.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Added a little something at the end there. It's something like 35% of 2nd round draftees that even sniff the NHL and play 200 games. Common sense would turn that "% of 2nd rounders that become stars" into 5-10% (and that's at the top end of the 2nd round)

You may think the Islanders didn't get anything but it's not like they gave up anything other than a lottery ticket.

Every year solid NHL players are drafted out of the 2nd round. There's no guarantee, but the standard value of 2nd round picks at the TDL is pretty high because of the chance to get a very good player.

I wouldn't be shocked if Greene ends up a depth defenseman by the time the playoffs come around. His skating has really fallen off this year.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Good pick up for the islanders. I know most devils fans saying he’s trash but he’s a decent dman nothing fancy but does his job. You can do a lot worse then him.
What is striking to me is Greene was a +1 on a -42 GF/GA team. He is also going from the 2nd worst GA team to one of the NHl's best GA teams. I think he will perk up now even more now that he is on a team that focuses on D and one that is in a playoff race. As I said earlier, a lot of teams are looking for D right now. Isles got ahead of the curve here. A 2nd rder is not insignificant, but given the Isles will have had 3 2nds in the last 2 years, plus 2 1sts and they kept all their picks for the upcoming draft. This was not a costly deal for Lou to make. I would say he got good value, and again NJ got something, when nothing was the option if Greene stuck to his NTC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad