GDT: NYI at Caps. 7PM. 4.4.2013: Playoffs?!

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
It's up in a Vancouver suburb. He and Cliff Ronning are also "shot consultants", which I think means you pay a bunch of money to watch a video of your sad-ass slapshot and hang out with one of them for an hour. I kind of want to go up and do it at some point, actually, since those were two of my favorite players.

Ah cool, if I move back into the Seattle area again, I'll be sure to check thought that out. Ronning was a great player also.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
What I remember most about the Montreal series was the goaltender interference call in the 3rd period of game 7 in which no one touched the goaltender and no one was in the crease.

For all these many years of disappointment, that's easily a top-10 worst Caps moment. After the way they dominated that series and how hard they fought through Halak's performance. ****ing refs.

Brad Tolliver

Terror Goes Into
Feb 17, 2004
Overtime
It's not a coincidence that Jim Johnson has San Jose top 5 in GA/G and #3 in PK. Calle comes across as an incompetent coach in interviews because he is incompetent, and this was known before he was hired. I wouldn't trust him to run a NHL 13 team.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
For all these many years of disappointment, that's easily a top-10 worst Caps moment. After the way they dominated that series and how hard they fought through Halak's performance. ****ing refs.

That and the 6.6 seconds left. I had a graduation dinner to go to for my youngest sister that game 7 and I remember sneaking and listening to the game. I blurted out "Damn you Green" when he took the penalty. Then the car battery died and I made it home just in time for the final five minutes. Such pain all these years. We're do some good luck sometime, I hope. The first round loss to the Rangers in 1986 and Lafontaine's Easter goal hurts.

1. Game 7 goal washed out in 2010
2. 6.6 seconds penalty by Ward in 2012
3. Jaromir Jagr game 7 goal in 1992
4. Joffrey Lupul's game 7 goal in 2008
5. Caps/Rangers 1st Round 1986
6. Take your pick of Game 7s with Pittsburgh.
7. Gonchar coughing up the puck to Straka
8. Lafontaine's Game 7 Easter goal.
9. Ray Ferraro killing us in 1993.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

even worse because they had gotten knuble for that exact play. some to go to the net at crunch time and the playoffs and create a goal. either off his own stick or by creating a screen and a distraction.

he was there for that. it worked. they scored. that one play in effect derailed the ovechkin era. all because knuble did what he was hired to do.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
The thing that got me was Game 7 vs the Flyers, the obvious interference, but the fact he shoved him right into the Caps goalie and it all stands, then Ovechkin hits Gill and they some how turn that goal over even though they can't and they gave the Caps the run around as far as explaining why they waived it off.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
That and the 6.6 seconds left. I had a graduation dinner to go to for my youngest sister that game 7 and I remember sneaking and listening to the game. I blurted out "Damn you Green" when he took the penalty. Then the car battery died and I made it home just in time for the final five minutes. Such pain all these years. We're do some good luck sometime, I hope. The first round loss to the Rangers in 1986 and Lafontaine's Easter goal hurts.

I'll just be sobbing in my whiskey...

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
even worse because they had gotten knuble for that exact play. some to go to the net at crunch time and the playoffs and create a goal. either off his own stick or by creating a screen and a distraction.

he was there for that. it worked. they scored. that one play in effect derailed the ovechkin era. all because knuble did what he was hired to do.

indeed.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009

John MacLean's tip goal due to weird offsides play that wasn't offsides in 88.

Tampa series in 03 where we were about to go up 3-0 before the Refs took over. Jagr mugged in corner and somehow they were awarded a 5-3 in OT.

Tampa series a couple years ago where pretty much all there goals were prayers chucked at the net that found a skate and went in.

Joe Juneau's weak penatly shot OT attempt (puck bouncing) vs Pens in 96.

Rick Tocchets goal from behind the net in 89 in game 6 when Peeters was doing all he can to choke the Caps hopes away.

There is much more FAIL to go around

msrulo

Feb 3, 2013
Toronto, ON
I hate the bad memories, more recently it's game 5 and 7 against NYR.

Isles are coming strong again just like their time in the 70s and 80s.

History says the Caps are a complete fail.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I hate the bad memories, more recently it's game 5 and 7 against NYR.

Isles are coming strong again just like their time in the 70s and 80s.

Isles have a good competitive and fast team. But there is a problem with them..

Their 2 top D - Streit and Vishnovsky are older as is Nabakov. They need replacements for those guys soon as they rely heavily on them.

msrulo

Feb 3, 2013
Toronto, ON
Isles have a good competitive and fast team. But there is a problem with them..

Their 2 top D - Streit and Vishnovsky are older as is Nabakov. They need replacements for those guys soon as they rely heavily on them.

I agree. I think at least 2 of their prospects might come as replacements for these. They maybe a dangerous team in 1-2 years... Hopefully their prospects bust. If not, they will be Capital-killers for years to come.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I agree. I think at least 2 of their prospects might come as replacements for these. They maybe a dangerous team in 1-2 years... Hopefully their prospects bust. If not, they will be Capital-killers for years to come.

I don't know much about their prospects tbh. I do know some of their young guys like Hamonic have greatly improved

Foy

Jun 6, 2006
How about Caps down a man in OT against the Penguins,and Boyd Gordon just get's level behind the play, well away from the puck allowing Malkin to break up the ice and lead to the GWG in OT in essentially 5 on 3.

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
How about Caps down a man in OT against the Penguins,and Boyd Gordon just get's level behind the play, well away from the puck allowing Malkin to break up the ice and lead to the GWG in OT in essentially 5 on 3.

It actually led to a 5-on-3. Fedorov got called for tripping a few seconds after Malkin tripped Gordon (and Jurcina was the one who had taken the Caps penalty even though Feds got called for it).

Pens scored 5-on-3, deflected in by Poti that time, IINM.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC

St.Louis triple OT wrap around goal game 6 to knock us out after 2-0 series lead vs kiwi and doig lead D still ranks high for me

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009

That was brutal. The officiating that whole series was. 35-19 pp. game 3 was blatant.

Game 6 phantom slash call on Schultz when pens players stick broke w no one touching it. Awful

Dream Big

Jun 10, 2005
Axis Mundi
Please. Stop. This is too painful.

Strange how the injustices against are etched deeper in the memory than those that go for you.

For some reason I thought in the Boston Series last year the final goal vs Tim Thomas may have been goalie interference if the same ref that called the Montreal against Knuble was officiating. Memory is a bit vague since we won.:D

Thoughts about D coach, Calle. Didn't Oates pick him? I'm guessing for a reason. Good I hope.

Wouldn't it be crazy if Oates wins a Stanley Cup his first year coaching? Now that would make a good story.:nod: Something to go along with his getting inducted to the HHOF and named coach on the same day.

Wishful thinking.

Foy

Jun 6, 2006
That was brutal. The officiating that whole series was. 35-19 pp. game 3 was blatant.

Game 6 phantom slash call on Schultz when pens players stick broke w no one touching it. Awful
contrast the phantom goalie interference call the following year with the Crosscheck to the throat of Varly with no call in game 2. The crosscheck that was so bad there was marks on Varly's throat over a week later in the end of season interviews. Because HEAVEN FORBID Ovechkin got a hat trick and Crosby doesn't.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA

Was that the series where Kunitz cross checked Varlamov in the mask and no call and then Crosby subsequently scores. The next day the league fines Kunitz for the blatant cross check.

Now I see while I was posting this you were posting the same incident.

Foy

Jun 6, 2006
Strange how the injustices against are etched deeper in the memory than those that go for you.

For some reason I thought in the Boston Series last year the final goal vs Tim Thomas may have been goalie interference if the same ref that called the Montreal against Knuble was officiating. Memory is a bit vague since we won.:D

Thoughts about D coach, Calle. Didn't Oates pick him? I'm guessing for a reason. Good I hope.

Wouldn't it be crazy if Oates wins a Stanley Cup his first year coaching? Now that would make a good story.:nod: Something to go along with his getting inducted to the HHOF and named coach on the same day.

Wishful thinking.
I can come up with a very game that went for us.

Spring 2008, Bill McCreary did what he does, and calls every penalty for the home team. I think the Caps got 5 or 6 straight PPs against the Flames, some of them very marginal. The Caps come from behind, win the game, Olie gets his 300th win, and it might have been his last with the Caps.

And we all remember Tim the toe lace Taylor.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
after watching kunitz acting as if head injured after a check from boyle last night, i was reminded of how big a rat that guy is. he forgets that on his team, he shouldnt be playing with head injuries. then.....neal gets an elbow in the head and doesnt know where he is anymore. justice.

knuble didnt get goalie interference because he stopped and was playing the puck..or at least it looked that way. not a single nhl analyst suggested goalie interference.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

Wishful thinking.

I thought the goal vs Boston was very questionable. I did not fully celebrate for quite a while because I was expecting it to be overturned. That doesn't make those old memories any less painful. :shakehead

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I didn't celebrate either. The goal was clearly not reviewed I believe in part because the Caps stormed the ice in a mass celebration. But I think it may have stood, Knuble almost appeared to try to play the puck only the puck never went the way he did.

It was fitting that it was ole man Knuble after Montreal. Gill throwing his arms up in the air, Halak falling over after the puck went through his legs; great sales jobs. The review only zoomed onto the back of knuble's blade which bows out; ignoring Gill had fronted Knuble and had a hand in where knuble was.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad