Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYI] Andrew Ladd (7 years, $5.500M AAV)

thebigbea

Jun 14, 2011
That's a long term.. And he's declining fast last few years.. They will regret this after 2 yrs

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
So I guess Ladds agent won't get canned after stupidly turning down 6x6 .... He found another fool to give him 5.5x7 :D

He may not even be able to tie his own skates the last 2 years of that deal! Maybe the islanders will charge him 2 mil a year for a trainer to do it to get some of their money back haha

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
So I guess Ladds agent won't get canned after stupidly turning down 6x6 .... He found another fool to give him 5.5x7 :D

He may not even be able to tie his own skates the last 2 years of that deal! Maybe the islanders will charge him 2 mil a year for a trainer to do it to get some of their money back haha

That's nice. Enjoy Brian Strait.

Throwing stones from glass houses, so very classy. :facepalm:

Barzilla

Sep 16, 2009
Dirty O
Gotta love when jets fans were pumping this guy up in trade proposals before the deadline. Now he's a washed up has been, who in 2 years is going to need help lacing his skates.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Gotta love when jets fans were pumping this guy up in trade proposals before the deadline. Now he's a washed up has been, who in 2 years is going to need help lacing his skates.

We wanted him re-signed, but not for the term and dollars he wanted because we were familiar with his style of play and his injury history. Pumping him in trade threads was only relevant to this year, when he was actually traded.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC

Let's be honest, he wasn't able to keep up with the Hawks skill guys in the playoffs. There isn't much to criticize bowman for, but that trade was a mistake in hindsight.

joemon999

Drive for 5
Sep 12, 2011
Like it's been stated already, I love the $$$. Honestly thought it was going to be more.

However, the term is 2 years more than I have liked.

Who knows though. Garth is very smart/sneaky when it comes to negotiating contracts and under the table deals. So this seems unlike him unless him and Ladd agreed to something we don't know about. Like Ladd will retire early if his game declines too much and Garth will offer him a position in the organization like he did for other players like Doug Weight.

Actually to think of it, Isles saved some cap space by only signing Ladd and not retaining Nielsen and Okposo, which they will desperately need in order to sign Tavares and keep their team intact when the young guns start demanding that $$$$. Production is similar to Okposo's, and while Nielsen's production will be lost, we now have space on the roster for Barzal to come into the fray. I believe Barzal will be more productive than Nielsen. Maybe not exactly his rookie year, but a couple years down the line he will be.

I like Ladd more than Okposo in the sense that he will actually bring defense to that first line, since Tavares and Okposo had so much trouble doing that and got scored on a lot (costed them game 3 or 4 against Tampa. The game where Isles were in the lead and than Tampa scored in the last min or so)

Also, I've heard nothing but great things about him in the locker room and leadership-wise. He'll serve as a great mentor to Tavares and the other young guns. Something Okposo couldn't/didn't really do.

I like it. Isles save cap space in the future. Replace Okposo's production. Give the Isles more roster space for the younger players. Bring defense to the first line. And bring tremendous leadership to the team (something which I think is very underrated here on HF).

Last edited:

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
I hope he owns nice suits cause he will look great in the press box lol

Oh yeah !
Oh yeah!
Well
Well
Ah
Brian Strait is a poopy head. Actually a nice man.
And he can take down 4 dogs with mustard and kraut and fries and a pretzel and a diet coke
In less than 1 period in the press box. I think he said " why eat at home if they'll feed me for free"
He must have read the Sean Avery book on per diem.
Enjoy!!!

joemon999

Drive for 5
Sep 12, 2011
It's a case where the Isles had to do something. That's gonna hurt though.

If it really gets to the point 5 years down the line and he's declined that much, I think Garth would convince him to retire and give a position in the organization. He's done it in the past instead of buying people out.

Can a cap geek confirm what exactly happens to a contract if a player decides to retire?

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
If it really gets to the point 5 years down the line and he's declined that much, I think Garth would convince him to retire and give a position in the organization. He's done it in the past instead of buying people out.

Can a cap geek confirm what exactly happens to a contract if a player decides to retire?

With the front loaded deal, it will be easier to buy him out then and suffer lesser consequences financially. It's a win now move, price of doing business in UFA.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA

Seriously now, he gets easily the best return at the deadline - a good prospect in Marko Dano and a 1st. Once that trade went down, everyone with a pending UFA was salivating at another team giving up that kind of return for their rentals.

4 months later and he's past-his-prime, terrible, broken down garbage and is so bad he'll make us beg for Brian Strait after only 10 games of NHL action.

I get that the contract is long, but with buyouts becoming the norm I'm not worried about what'll happen when he's 37. If he can still play, he'll play. If he can't, he'll be bought out.

Islander fans are in the Okposo/Nielsen/Martin threads praising our guys - saying even though they all signed for long contracts, that they're great team guys and the team that acquired them should be happy with their new signings. Jet fans say Ladd sucks so bad omg he's complete garbage you guys got ripped off.

joemon999

Drive for 5
Sep 12, 2011
With the front loaded deal, it will be easier to buy him out then and suffer lesser consequences financially. It's a win now move, price of doing business in UFA.

Even better. Great news. People thinking this contract is bad, but this helps our cap out SOOOO much more down the line when it's time to pay Tavares, Strome, Nelson, Barzal, etc. Instead of extending Okposo and Nielsen. Our younger players will out produce them and for less $$$ when the time comes.

Not to mention Grabo and Kuliman's contract will be adios as well.

I have faith in Garth. He knows the new NHL is all about the cap management. The front loaded contract confirms that he knows what he's doing. We weren't going to sign a replacement for Okposo to help Tavares unless we gave term. So he set it up the best way possible for the future.

I like this deal more and more the more time I look it over.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Actually like this a lot more than the Kulemin and Grabo deals.

Dont really like letting Nielsen go though. Puts a lot on Nelson, who will probably center the 2nd line as Flintstone likes him there

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
They won't replace 2/3 of it. Probably not even half of it.

They did not get enough out of Lee, Strome and Nelson last season and they are counting on these 3 to step up to replace what KO and Nielsen left and it is a fair expectation because they all do have that kind of potential and now with more ice time they may have a more balance team.

I also sense that they are not done and will try to improve the team by way of a trade as they are loaded with LW prospects with 3 with high scoring potentials. One of these three will be likely be moved in a package to improve their RW depth. When the right deal is on the table, they will make that trade.

I also think the expansion has something to do with letting go three vets and resign two. You can only protect 9 forwards so sooner or later you are going to lose someone to Vegas. They want to keep Lee, Strome and Nelson (all young with good upside potential) plus make roster spot for some of their upcoming young forwards in another 2 years so they have to let some veterans move on.

They got rolled over in the playoff by Caps a year ago and last year although they got to the 2nd round they did not look good at all in the series against Panthers and definitely not against Tampa. KO and Nielsen both did not do enough in those series. If they advanced further they have both may received offers from the Isles. Their PP was terrible in both post seasons and even though Ladd's game has declined his style of play (net presence) may help them actually on the PP or at least he can shared his playoff experience with his younger teammates on what would tick.

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
What did this guy do last season to warrant a contract like this? Ridiculous move. :handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad