Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYI] Andrew Ladd (7 years, $5.500M AAV)

joemon999

Drive for 5
Sep 12, 2011
Actually like this a lot more than the Kulemin and Grabo deals.

Dont really like letting Nielsen go though. Puts a lot on Nelson, who will probably center the 2nd line as Flintstone likes him there

Honestly when it comes down to the money and production, I like Nelson or Strome centering our 2nd line as opposed to Nielsen. Than Barzal can step in on the 3rd line

I LOVED Nielsen. But our younger players are just cheaper and will begin to out produce Nielsen and Okposo.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Gotta love when jets fans were pumping this guy up in trade proposals before the deadline. Now he's a washed up has been, who in 2 years is going to need help lacing his skates.

Or maybe they saw him go from 62 points down to 46 this year and have seen the warning signs of decline.

It's not unreasonable yo this he will decline in his age 30-37 year old seasons.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Honestly when it comes down to the money and production, I like Nelson or Strome centering our 2nd line as opposed to Nielsen. Than Barzal can step in on the 3rd line

I LOVED Nielsen. But our younger players are just cheaper and will begin to out produce Nielsen and Okposo.

Dal Colle, Barzal, Beau, Ho-Sang, now add Bellows to the mix and bottom-6 guys like Prince and Quine.

Committing to too many vets holds these youngsters back. You gotta give them the chance to know that if they play hard in camp, play hard in Bridgeport, improve their games, that they can find themselves a permanent spot on the team.

We lose Frans & KO but gain Ladd to provide veteran leadership - a guy who has worn the C on his jersey before - and Chimera replaces Martin.

Bellows still has some time before hitting the big stage and Beau is also probably 1-3 years away from seriously being in contention for a spot on the big team, but MDC, JHS and Barzy? You need to give all three of them a chance to make the Islanders immediately.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Makes Isles better but obviously he was expensive.

Agreed, it was a win now move. Looking at the front loaded structure and the NMC for the first 2 years, then full NTC the next 2, and them limited NTC for the last 3... it gives the team flexibility later. They can either try to trade him or bite the bullet and buy him out near the end of the deal. It may be a 7 year term, but I think the Isles are looking at it as a 5 year deal and then deal with the consequences later.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Agreed, it was a win now move. Looking at the front loaded structure and the NMC for the first 2 years, then full NTC the next 2, and them limited NTC for the last 3... it gives the team flexibility later. They can either try to trade him or bite the bullet and buy him out near the end of the deal. It may be a 7 year term, but I think the Isles are looking at it as a 5 year deal and then deal with the consequences later.

You're not buying him out... it saves about 700K

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
You're not buying him out... it saves about 700K

A buy out is the last resort. They could try and unload him like Chicago did with Bickell/Teravainen or how Detroit did with Datsyuk to a rebuilding team that has cap space. This is obviously years away and we'll see what happens.

Skiffer55

Logan Stanley's Cup
Jun 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Loved the guy as a Jet, warrior and great producer at 5v5. You'll love him for the next 3 years for sure. Just so uncertain how he'll age. He plays so hard through 82 games that he picks up nicks and minor injuries and just plays through them, and then you wonder why he isn't effective in the playoffs. He's not crazy fast but if Tavares plays plays at a moderate pace then Ladd will kill it with such an amazing center.

joemon999

Drive for 5
Sep 12, 2011
Losing strait was the only good move of the day. Ladd's contract is a disaster and its debatable if he's better then Okopso.

I agree that Okposo as it stands has better offensive numbers. However, Okposo also played with JT. Ladd is now getting a shot and we've all seen by now from Moulson, PAP, Vanek, and.the younger guys on the team has there production increase when playing next to him.

Ladd is also way better defensively than Okposo. Our first line was a defensive liability and now with Ladd it be way more secure. That first line got scored on a lot, and costed us game 3 against Tamps.

Also, everyone whose ever worked a day in his life knows how much better performance is when you have someone motivating and helping you. Ladd is known for being a tremendous locker room presence. He will be a great mentor not only to the kids but also JT.

We save money with signing him and not Okposo and Nielsen. We had to pay up in term, but it's FA. Nothing comes without a price. Money is great, but the length is only 2 years a little too much.

Out of the 6 or so blue chip forward prospects we have, I think it's safe to assume at least 2 of them will start producing more than Okposo and Nielsen did. This move saves money now and in the future, giving us more cap space to sign jt and the youngsters to their real deals.

Not to mention, this frees up roster space so we can actually start having Strome or Nelson play their natural role at center. This also gives someone who plays well at camp like Barzal a chance to make the team and show us what they can do.

I'm starting to really like this deal. Especially knowing its front loaded and Grabovski and Kuliman's contract will be done soon. Like I said it may be 2 years too much, but taken all the above factors into consideration I think this move was much better than resigning Okposo and Nielsen to the deals they got today. I also like the cap and roster structure of this deal than trading Hamonic for Hall. It would of left a gaint gaping hole on our D.

This actually may be the first season we've had where all our positions are filled, while at the same time giving the younger players a chance to play.

I think Snow knows what he's doing. He's proven doubters wrong in the past, and I think he'll prove them wrong again with this deal.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
He is 31 I think.

The term is crazy if you have developing players needing new deals in the next few years.

I am not sure where NYI stand in that regard.

Ladd is 30.

The Isles are chock full of young players that are cost controlled for a while. Lee is signed for 3 more years, Nelson for 2 more and will still be a RFA, and Strome is expected to accept his QO. All of their other kids are either starting their ELC next year (Dal Colle and Ho-Sang), have another year in Junior (Barzal and Beauvillier), or will be in college for 2 years (Bellows). Prince just signed for 2 years at 880K/per and Quine is a RFA and likely to sign his QO. Clutterbuck is a pending UFA and the Isles could work something out after the expansion draft with him to come back. Grabovski, Kulemin, Bailey, and now Chimera all come off the books in 2 years when it's time for Tavares to get paid.

The defense is the backbone of the team and it's all cost controlled for a while.

The Isles cap situation is in good shape.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
Ladd is 30.

The Isles are chock full of young players that are cost controlled for a while. Lee is signed for 3 more years, Nelson for 2 more and will still be a RFA, and Strome is expected to accept his QO. All of their other kids are either starting their ELC next year (Dal Colle and Ho-Sang), have another year in Junior (Barzal and Beauvillier), or will be in college for 2 years (Bellows). Prince just signed for 2 years at 880K/per and Quine is a RFA and likely to sign his QO. Clutterbuck is a pending UFA and the Isles could work something out after the expansion draft with him to come back. Grabovski, Kulemin, Bailey, and now Chimera all come off the books in 2 years when it's time for Tavares to get paid.

The defense is the backbone of the team and it's all cost controlled for a while.

The Isles cap situation is in good shape.

Good for the Isles then. He will be a solid piece.

The Jets had too many guys coming off ELC for this kind of deal.

Bossy Mike

May 29, 2016
If he doesn't make it difficult to sign your young guys then he should be productive for at least half the term.

That's good to note. The isles don't usually play to the real cap. Maybe with the new owners, they will. But there is room to spare.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Ladd really picked up his game in the 2nd half of the season. Not necessarily as bad as all are making it out to be.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Islander fans will be relieved to know that in the final year of Ladd's contract, he will get paid exclusively in prune juice and bingo cards.

Selke

Apr 11, 2009
7 years at 5.5

Whoa!

I like Laddy but man, I don't see how this works out well for NYI. Seven years is way too much and $5.5? Ugh.. Say whatever you want but I wouldn't have went over $4.5-4.8.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->