Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYI] Andrew Ladd (7 years, $5.500M AAV)

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Ladd is also way better defensively than Okposo. Our first line was a defensive liability and now with Ladd it be way more secure. That first line got scored on a lot, and costed us game 3 against Tamps.

People are too quick to gloss this aspect over. Too often that top line got pinned in it's own zone. Better defense will mean more offensive zone time for JT and when that happens, the whole line produces.

pullyoursocksup

Jun 30, 2009
This has to be one of the worst deals of the day. Don't see Ladd as a top 6 for much longer if any longer at all. Good character guy, but a lot of money for a middle 6 ageing winger.

joemon999

Drive for 5
Sep 12, 2011
You guys aren't getting the joke, when the contract expires Ladd will be 37 which is old by hockey terms.

Yo bro. I don't think you get it. Ladd will be 37 and be old. Rofl!!!!!1!! Guys he will be old!!!!!!!!1!!!!!!

Wait I forgot to mention. Did you know he will be 37????

Yea I don't think you realize it. He will be old. Rofl so funny dude islanders r dumb. They will finish last place in the league because of dis.

Did I mention he will be 37 years old??? That's older than my grandpa! LOL

The Islanders should be renamed to the LOLanders. He's gonna be 37 year old!

In all seriousness though, I'm just happy the Islanders are not going to be in any cap hell now or during the duration of his contract. Easily can resign Tavares when the time comes. The people bashing this contract so much must be under the assumption that the Islanders are gonna be in cap hell now and 7 years down the road like unfortunately their GM put them in.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
People are too quick to gloss this aspect over. Too often that top line got pinned in it's own zone. Better defense will mean more offensive zone time for JT and when that happens, the whole line produces.

Okposo's questionable hockey IQ, brutal decisions, and constant turnovers must have driven Tavares crazy. JT's best asset is his hockey instincts and intelligence, he can anticipate what most players are going to do at a high level. Notice how strong his chemistry was with Moulson because Moulson played a very honest game... go to the net and be ready. Even Parenteau was easy to read, he looked to get JT the puck with some open ice for him to work his magic. There wasn't much guessing so Tavares could just do his thing and while his wingers weren't super talented, they were easy to read.

Okposo loved handling the puck, he overhandles it to the point where he forgets that he has linemates sometimes. His decisions are so inconsistent, he free wheels it all the time. Tavares always had to hesitate because he had no freaking clue what Okposo was going to do most of the time. Considering that Tavares himself would try to do everything himself a lot of the time, it illustrated that he either didn't trust his linemates or he was frustrated with them because of the lack of chemistry.

Ladd is no superstar or anything, but he plays a more reliable North-South game that Tavares has a much easier time reading and anticipating how the play will develop. Ladd could help do some dirty work and win some puck battles (surprisingly something that Okposo was unable to do well in recent years) and crash the net and generally get out of Tavares' way. Okposo routinely seeked the same areas of ice that Tavares liked and got in his way all the time. Vanek was good with Tavares because he has good hockey IQ despite being a lazy bum.

Ladd and his style of game is much more complementary to Tavares and should mesh well. Okposo was a terrible fit for the reasons I stated and it was a big reason why Capuano put Okposo with Nielsen and oftentimes Bailey.

Skiffer55

Logan Stanley's Cup
Jun 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Okposo's questionable hockey IQ, brutal decisions, and constant turnovers must have driven Tavares crazy. JT's best asset is his hockey instincts and intelligence, he can anticipate what most players are going to do at a high level. Notice how strong his chemistry was with Moulson because Moulson played a very honest game... go to the net and be ready. Even Parenteau was easy to read, he looked to get JT the puck with some open ice for him to work his magic. There wasn't much guessing so Tavares could just do his thing and while his wingers weren't super talented, they were easy to read.

Okposo loved handling the puck, he overhandles it to the point where he forgets that he has linemates sometimes. His decisions are so inconsistent, he free wheels it all the time. Tavares always had to hesitate because he had no freaking clue what Okposo was going to do most of the time. Considering that Tavares himself would try to do everything himself a lot of the time, it illustrated that he either didn't trust his linemates or he was frustrated with them because of the lack of chemistry.

Ladd is no superstar or anything, but he plays a more reliable North-South game that Tavares has a much easier time reading and anticipating how the play will develop. Ladd could help do some dirty work and win some puck battles (surprisingly something that Okposo was unable to do well in recent years) and crash the net and generally get out of Tavares' way. Okposo routinely seeked the same areas of ice that Tavares liked and got in his way all the time. Vanek was good with Tavares because he has good hockey IQ despite being a lazy bum.

Ladd and his style of game is much more complementary to Tavares and should mesh well. Okposo was a terrible fit for the reasons I stated and it was a big reason why Capuano put Okposo with Nielsen and oftentimes Bailey.

Ladd absolutely plays a simple game. Only dumb part of his game with us was an offensive zone penalty every game or two. High hockey IQ player. I really hope he lights it up with JT. Love Ladd

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Ladd isn't that good defensively. Might be better than Okposo but you are going to find him pretty frustrating at times. He is prone to really bad turnovers at either blue line.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell

Agreed. Tavares looked best with Nielsen... if Ladd can replicate that then this is perfect.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Uh, good luck with that Islanders.

Okposo, Lucic, Eriksson are all better options than Ladd. 7 years is bad.

Yesterday proves why buy outs are needed and why we have work stoppages frequently.
Ladd's contract , Lucic's are way too long and stupid money.
Good for those guys on being able to get the cash tho'
Ladd should give the Isles likely 2-3 good years it's the other 4 or 5 they should be concerned about.
I was hoping the Jets would resign him for 4 max but hey he got an extra year too, it was reported he was ok with 6

Crazed Fan

Jul 9, 2011
Winnipeg
Ladd absolutely plays a simple game. Only dumb part of his game with us was an offensive zone penalty every game or two. High hockey IQ player. I really hope he lights it up with JT. Love Ladd

I always liked Ladd, an absolutely wicked wrister. however those brutal penalties he takes always seemed to come at the worst,, most inopportune moment.

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
7 years is just terrible and is competing with the Backes contract for the worst deal.
Going to be interesting how long he will last before the decline.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Ladd isn't that good defensively. Might be better than Okposo but you are going to find him pretty frustrating at times. He is prone to really bad turnovers at either blue line.

Now this is bad news. This was my biggest gripe with Okposo.

From what I have seen of him over the years I have always liked Ladd and thought his game would be well suited for Tavares. However, there is no way around it market value or not. This is not a good contract. One is left to only hope that:

1) He ages like Shane Doan

2) He is traded to a cap floor rebuild team with two/three years left on his contract

3) New CBA allows for uncapped buyouts again

With that said, If he stays healthy I actually think he will have a terrific year with Tavares.

Raimu

That weird Dragon girl
Jan 21, 2006
Halifax, NS
Are the Islanders banking on another lockout 4 years from now? A lot of teams will be begging for 2 more compliance buyouts.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
I like Ladd but too much mileage on him already...7 years is too long. This is probably a case where multiple teams offered him similar money but adding term broke the tie.

I haven't been put off by the AAV on yesterday's deals... it's the unnecessarily long term that makes no sense from a team perspective. To the players, I get their interest in long term security. Safe to say that Ladd wouldn't get this money if he took fewer years and went to market again.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
I like Ladd but too much mileage on him already...7 years is too long. This is probably a case where multiple teams offered him similar money but adding term broke the tie.

I haven't been put off by the AAV on yesterday's deals... it's the unnecessarily long term that makes no sense from a team perspective. To the players, I get their interest in long term security. Safe to say that Ladd wouldn't get this money if he took fewer years and went to market again.

Funny you should say that, many on the Isles board feel that Detroit was the other team. I wouldn't be surprised if Boston was also in the mix. Ultimately the contract they offered was the one that Backes received.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
He's wasn't signed to play on the 1st line I hope..Isles fans will be very disappointed with him if he was.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Funny you should say that, many on the Isles board feel that Detroit was the other team. I wouldn't be surprised if Boston was also in the mix. Ultimately the contract they offered was the one that Backes received.

I think there are more teams willing to pay more AAV for short term than pay market AAV price but tack on extra years.

Ladd probably shouldn't have gotten more than 4 years but like I said, odds are he wouldn't get an additional 3 year deal for the same AAV if he went to market again.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Are the Islanders banking on another lockout 4 years from now? A lot of teams will be begging for 2 more compliance buyouts.

I think a lot of teams are banking on compliance buyouts with how easily term is given and how front loaded deals are the norm in UFA contracts.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I think there are more teams willing to pay more AAV for short term than pay market AAV price but tack on extra years.

Ladd probably shouldn't have gotten more than 4 years but like I said, odds are he wouldn't get an additional 3 year deal for the same AAV if he went to market again.

Compliance him in 4 years when the new CBA takes effect. Problem solved.

Jetsetter

Mar 2, 2015
Winnerpeg
I'm a hugh Ladd fan. Jets offered him $6M for 6 yrs. I thought are we crazy!

He's a good player and great team man. He'll do you well if he stays healthy for 4 years. Past that is a total crap-shoot.

I wish him well. Does look like I need to do that with that 7 yr contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad