Confirmed with Link: NYI and Ryan Pulock have a deal: 2 years, $5M AAV

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Not sure I like that this deal gives him the option to walk in two years...
On the surface, I thought it was too short also. But then when you go deeper. Dobson is going to be in for a big raise once he is up after his ELC. The smart money here is he will be a player the Isles want to sign long. Also Pelech IMO is the most valuable D man on the Isles. This deal really gives the Isles the flexibility to re-up or deal Pulock after this season. Again, I would rather keep him, but all good teams have these tough decisions. The Cap is a bummer right now and in the near future post Covid. I also look at the positive, The Isles would get some quality assets back for Pulock at 5M for a year to a team that wants him. It's a win win right now. I really like this deal the more I think about it.

Reactions: MJF and PWJunior

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Hi folks, congratulations on the re-signing/extension. I certainly gained an appreciation for this guy in the Play-in/Playoffs. You have a nice top pairing along with Solid D Prospects coming along.

Hopefully you can retain him after this Contract.

I’m really interested to see how Lou navigates the Cap in order to extend Barzal. Several of you have proposed very reasonable and realistic options. Always nice to visit a knowledgeable fan base.
999576C8-F5B5-4768-BA1C-D210A79C57A7.gif

Cheers

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
At 5mil AAV is great. 2 years is not great but it’s what had to be done in the current situation with the cap league wide.

thres another buyout window coming up in 48 hours. I’m expecting Boychuck or Ladd to be bought out. Probably Boychuck because he had the higher AAV. Unless he can be traded.
I just don't think any player wants to sign a long term deal now. The players would rather wait for the hockey economy to straighten out than commit long term now. It is what it is.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
How embarrassing is ESPN?

From their article on this:

The Islanders aren't done on the free-agent front. Center Ryan Strome appears headed to arbitration, and more importantly, star Mathew Barzal is also a restricted free agent, but he does not yet have arbitration rights.

ESPN is only good for one thing. Live college football games.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Trade Cizikas for pick(s) and sign Barzal for $7 million for 2 years and we are under the Cap.

Then you try to make a hockey trade for one more offensive winger for the 3rd line.

KrisBeKreame

Oct 5, 2009
Virginia
Still think Ladd will end up on LTIR. That alone will be enough to re-sign Barzal, and a demotion to the minors for Hickey/Boychuk gives the extra space for Greene, Martin, and a little flexibility.

Even if that’s the “hopeful” solution, it makes the most sense given Lou’s history and the current trade market/league cap situation.
the problem with LTIR is that it doesnt start till after the season does. The Islanders would have to be cap compliant to start the season then they can put Ladd on LTIR. I doubt it could be swung that way.

Beacon Isles

Feb 20, 2015
Beacon, NY
Ok, Mr. reporter...maybe fill in the blanks by saying who those players are on the Islanders.

I guess with Twitter, you have to keep it short and sweet. In reality, the only realistic buy out options making $4M or more a year are Ladd and Boychuk. I dont see the others being bought out.

bstash19

Apr 8, 2012
long island
I guess with Twitter, you have to keep it short and sweet. In reality, the only realistic buy out options making $4M or more a year are Ladd and Boychuk. I dont see the others being bought out.

as it’s been stated before: Buying out either one of them makes no sense, it would be more of a cap relief to bury them in the minors.

Reactions: Seph

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Trade Cizikas for pick(s) and sign Barzal for $7 million for 2 years and we are under the Cap.

Then you try to make a hockey trade for one more offensive winger for the 3rd line.

I agree that Casey is gone when his current contract expires (or sooner). But who, pray tell, is lining up at #4C?

Swapping him for Koivula, Leo or Brassard is a horrible option.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
I agree that Casey is gone when his current contract expires (or sooner). But who, pray tell, is lining up at #4C?

Swapping him for Koivula, Leo or Brassard is a horrible option.

Yes, but we do have to take one more hit somehow and that seems the cheapest from an asset management standpoint.

Reactions: buud

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
All it takes is another tweet to put in what PK Cronin put in. However, he doesn't want to post the list or put the numbers out there on what makes sense, if the team would do it did of what you did. He dialed in to the FAN590 the other day to talk on the Isles and literally said nothing. He just seems so removed from being relevant to be the Isles reporter.

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
Glad they didn't go to arbitration. It could be unpleasant and ruin relations.

I heard Brian Burke talking about the nuance of putting players on LTIR and cap implication/salary relief but wish I had taken notes.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Why are people like overly psyched about this deal? Pulock was a RFA, not a UFA, so he was always going to be resigned by the Isles.

But...Because we're in a cap crunch we couldn't do the thing that we really wanted to do...which is sign him to a long-term deal.

So celebrate all you want that the AAV is 5m/year. In 2 years when Pulock is about to be a UFA (along with Leddy and Boychuk) he's going to hold all the leverage and get a much higher AAV than if we could've signed him long-term now - If he stays at all.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Why are people like overly psyched about this deal? Pulock was a RFA, not a UFA, so he was always going to be resigned by the Isles.

But...Because we're in a cap crunch we couldn't do the thing that we really wanted to do...which is sign him to a long-term deal.

So celebrate all you want that the AAV is 5m/year. In 2 years when Pulock is about to be a UFA (along with Leddy and Boychuk) he's going to hold all the leverage and get a much higher AAV than if we could've signed him long-term now - If he stays at all.

Maybe the player didn't want the long term deal?

IslesCLT

Apr 25, 2019
Charlotte

And the player took the deal that came with a lower salary to try and help the team during this cap crunch?

Reactions: MJF

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4