Confirmed with Link: NYI and Ryan Pulock have a deal: 2 years, $5M AAV

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Ladd & Hickey. Two candidates to see Joffrey Lupul’s doctor.:sarcasm:

There are rumors circulating on Twitter and other sites that may be the case for at least one Isles player, not sure who it will definitely be yet but you name two likely candidates.

It would also be interesting if Lou is potentially working on a trade for a LTIR contract, like Brandon Dubinsky, which does not benefit Columbus right now, but could help a cap max team.

It makes sense for Columbus to trade that contract, unless they plan to spend to the cap by adding more players and their internal budget allows for it.

Reactions: buud and MJF

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Ryan has too good a shot to be goaless almost 20 games into the season. Should break the goose egg soon. From what I can see, there is nothing wrong with his shot. Just needs to get a through and on net.

Reactions: SI90

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
Ryan has too good a shot to be goaless almost 20 games into the season. Should break the goose egg soon. From what I can see, there is nothing wrong with his shot. Just needs to get a through and on net.

Pulock is Wild Thing in Major Leagues, all power no accuracy. Thankfully his defensive game has compensated for what we thought was gonna be an offensive dmen.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Pulock is Wild Thing in Major Leagues, all power no accuracy. Thankfully his defensive game has compensated for what we thought was gonna be an offensive dmen.

He has been excellent defensively. Id like to see him use his wrist shot more, he has alot more accuracy with it. I hope Lou can manags to get him signed long term when the time comes. Pulock is a rock for us.

Reactions: BTrotts19 and buud

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
His defensive game is much better than what I thought, I thought Pulock would end up being like a Tyson Barrie type of dman. Every full season though he has had 30+ points.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
His defensive game is much better than what I thought, I thought Pulock would end up being like a Tyson Barrie type of dman. Every full season though he has had 30+ points.
I agree 100%, I didn't think Pulock was a shut down D man, but when Trotz gave he and Pelech the role. They took the puck and skated with it. I think of Pulock more as a defensive D man now than an Offensive D man. I think Dobson is going to be more offensive, with a balanced mix. Pelech is the key, he is such a good partner for Pulock.

Reactions: BTrotts19

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
i still think that Ryan has the offense, but he certainly has bettered his defensive game. and i would bet that it's somewhat out of necessity.

Trotz has a shortage of defensive defensemen, and is using Ryan in that role. somewhat. especially now with Dobson stepping up his offense, and recognizing that Ryan is not exactly fleet-of-foot (can't make a rush and get back in time to be effective defensively).

of course, Pelech is the prototype defensive D. Mayfield is big, but not particularly strong. Greene is a good defensive D, but lacks the strength as well.

i think it's time to break up the P's.

Leddy-Pulock
Pelech-Dobson
Greene-Mayfield

and maybe grab a rock solid LHD soon. someone to alternate with Greene.

we saw how weak defensively we were, when Pelech was out. we covered it up slightly, with a total team effort, but we lack in that area.

really missing the Manchuk, and need a replacement.

edit:

while it's not perfect, something 'like' this...

Gudbranson for Aho/Bellows, Komorov, and pick(s).

Pelech-Pulock
Leddy-Mayfield
Dobson-Gudbranson
Greene

Last edited:

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
i still think that Ryan has the offense, but he certainly has bettered his defensive game. and i would bet that it's somewhat out of necessity.

Trotz has a shortage of defensive defensemen, and is using Ryan in that role. somewhat. especially now with Dobson stepping up his offense, and recognizing that Ryan is not exactly fleet-of-foot (can't make a rush and get back in time to be effective defensively).

of course, Pelech is the prototype defensive D. Mayfield is big, but not particularly strong. Greene is a good defensive D, but lacks the strength as well.

i think it's time to break up the P's.

Leddy-Pulock
Pelech-Dobson
Greene-Mayfield

and maybe grab a rock solid LHD soon. someone to alternate with Greene.

we saw how weak defensively we were, when Pelech was out. we covered it up slightly, with a total team effort, but we lack in that area.

really missing the Manchuk, and need a replacement.

The problem with the defense is Mayfield and Leddy is affected because it's a poor match in partner for him. That pairing is the clear weak link and it's putting way more pressure on the Pelech-Pulock pairing because Trotz doesn't seem to fully trust Dobson quite yet to take on harder matchups.

Reducing Mayfield's role and ice time would be my solution, I am getting sick of his constant unforced icings and extended shifts in the defensive zone. While it is a good sign Pulock is quite capable of taking up the slack, I'd rather see a bit more balance.

Last edited:

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
The problem with the defense is Mayfield and Leddy is affected because it's a poor match in partner for him. That pairing is the clear weak link and it's putting way more pressure on the Pelech-Pulock pairing because Trotz doesn't seem to fully trust Dobson quite yet to take on harder matchups.

Reducing Mayfield's role and ice time would be my solution, I am getting sick of his constant unforced icings and extended shifts in the defensive zone. While it is a good sign Pulock is quite capable of taking up the slack, I'd rather see a bit more balance.
I doubt that happens. When it comes time to close out a 1 goal win Mayfield is usually one of the defensemen on the ice when the horn sounds. Trotz loves Mayfield in the D zone and will always give him nearly 20 minutes of ice time.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I doubt that happens. When it comes time to close out a 1 goal win Mayfield is usually one of the defensemen on the ice when the horn sounds. Trotz loves Mayfield in the D zone and will always give him nearly 20 minutes of ice time.

You're right, but Mayfield is killing the defense this year.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008

I think everything just comes down to size, which is why we don't see Aho. Then again, I can't figure out if Aho is hurt or not, but whatever. We see Mayfield out there, especially at the end, because the 11 skaters on the ice is just a mad pile up in front and you need to clear the crease.

Taking that even further, the Isles play a style where they keep the offense to the perimeter and let them have possession. That means you need to clear the net front and Mayfield is the best guy to do it. If we played up and down pond hockey, someone like Aho (assuming he can handle the speed of the NHL on a regular basis), would be a better fit.

I don't think we see Mayfield get a reduced role until we can trust another big defenseman to clear the net as well as he does. Hickey and Aho ain't it.

What's killing me is that he is making so many boneheaded plays in transition this year and I can't figure out if I'm noticing it more or if he's worse at it. I vividly remember numerous plays where he has all day and then ices the puck. I'm talking he's standing on the defensive face off dot and no opposing player is in the zone, and he just rockets it off the glass and ices it. There was a play last night where there was a delayed offsides and the opposition either went to tag up or to change completely (couldn't even tell because none of them were on the screen), and he iced the puck. f***ing skate and make a pass.

The Isles also heavily rely on the play where a defenseman puts a really hard pass toward the wing on the offensive blue line to tip it in and go to the forecheck. Maybe the ice sucks and we keep missing those tips because that happens constantly when he's on the ice.

Another thing I'm noticing is he is getting destroyed in the 2nd period on the road when he needs to change from the far corner as the RD. He can't get off the ice and it snowballs to all of our other d-pairings. 5-0-1 at home though.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
What's killing me is that he is making so many boneheaded plays in transition this year and I can't figure out if I'm noticing it more or if he's worse at it. I vividly remember numerous plays where he has all day and then ices the puck. I'm talking he's standing on the defensive face off dot and no opposing player is in the zone, and he just rockets it off the glass and ices it. There was a play last night where there was a delayed offsides and the opposition either went to tag up or to change completely (couldn't even tell because none of them were on the screen), and he iced the puck. f***ing skate and make a pass.
Like in baseball, when you try to hide a poor arm or poor glove in left field the ball always finds him, when it comes time to make the play that gets us out of the D zone it always seems to end up on Mayfield's stick instead of Leddy's:ha:

Also talking about the puck bouncing on Mayfield, I thought last night the ice must have been bad or the pucks not frozen right because they were bouncing on everyone. But yeah, the puck and Scott Mayfield don't seem to get along too well all of the time.

Last edited:
Reactions: 13th Floor

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
I think everything just comes down to size, which is why we don't see Aho. Then again, I can't figure out if Aho is hurt or not, but whatever. We see Mayfield out there, especially at the end, because the 11 skaters on the ice is just a mad pile up in front and you need to clear the crease.

Taking that even further, the Isles play a style where they keep the offense to the perimeter and let them have possession. That means you need to clear the net front and Mayfield is the best guy to do it. If we played up and down pond hockey, someone like Aho (assuming he can handle the speed of the NHL on a regular basis), would be a better fit.

I don't think we see Mayfield get a reduced role until we can trust another big defenseman to clear the net as well as he does. Hickey and Aho ain't it.

The Isles also heavily rely on the play where a defenseman puts a really hard pass toward the wing on the offensive blue line to tip it in and go to the forecheck. Maybe the ice sucks and we keep missing those tips because that happens constantly when he's on the ice.

Another thing I'm noticing is he is getting destroyed in the 2nd period on the road when he needs to change from the far corner as the RD. He can't get off the ice and it snowballs to all of our other d-pairings. 5-0-1 at home though.

For me, Mayfield plays smaller than his build- he's a 6'4 guy who plays like a 5'9 man. When he first came up, he was really a physical force with a bit of a mean streak and that was one of the main reasons I wanted him in that bottom pairing. For some reason his game has gotten softer to me. At times I think he thinks he is a PMD. I don't see any of our D men really being guys who move opponents out of the crease-for the most part they ignore and hope to block the shot before a puck get to the net, so assuming Trotz/Lambert teach it that way.

Totally agree on his propensity for the unforced icing, not sure if he just panics or his inability to make a pass is the reason for it-at this point, I'm hoping one of the kids can supplant him and he moves to the 7D/part time role.

Reactions: 13th Floor

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Yet the internet coach’s know better than the actual coach that keeps putting him out there in those situations.

Reactions: MJF

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
I don't think so. We've given up 43 goals in 18 games. Our D is just fine.
That's only good enough for 4th best GA/g in the league currently, and if we aren't first in that stat then our defense must be getting killed out there.

Joking aside, Mayfield is a limited player and like anyone, I do wish his puck skills were better, as he does make gaffs due to his limited skill there. But he works hard and is generally reliable defensively, not to mention is probably our most physical dman, and overall is a net positive defensively, IMO. His work on the PK is also a big plus for him. I see him as well above average for a bottom pairing guy as well as for a player with his contract. So, while I wish he was better, I'm still happy with him in his current role on the team.

Last edited:

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
That's only good enough for 4th best GA/g in the league currently, and if we aren't first in that stat then our defense must be getting killed out there.

Joking aside, Mayfield is a limited player and like anyone, I do wish his puck skills were better, as he does make gaffs due to his limited skill there. But he works hard and is generally reliable defensively, not to mention is probably our most physical dman, and overall is a net positive defensively, IMO. His work on the PK is also a big plus for him. I see him as well above average for a bottom pairing guy as well as for a player with his contract. So, while I wish he was better, I'm still happy with him in his current role on the team.
i rag on Mayfield from time to time, but he is still a good value commodity. he needs to be with an offensive minded, swift skating, partner, for his skills to be utilized most efficiently. still would like to have a gritty vet, like Chara, to form a PK unit.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009

There was a sequence that defined Mayfield well last game vs Pitt.

He has time, lugs the puck up a few feet and ices it on a bad pass. Typical Mayfield on the breakout. Off the faceoff the puck gets behind him, Crosby sneaks inside between him and the boards and Mayfield ties him up, uses his reach to poke the puck behind the net to his dman who is ready to receive it and then staples Crosby to the boards and most importantly holds him there with the ref not caring about the interference Mayfield always gets away with. That was a great play.

That defines him. He's physical, he makes good routine plays in my opinion and is very committed defensively. But he can't move the puck up well, and that's just something I have to accept. Good outweighs the bad, hope he does D to D passes more so Leddy can move it instead.

Even on the blueline, he walks the line better than Leddy or Pulock but just can't move the puck well. He opens his space up like Brent Burns but can't move the puck like him. Frustrating but that is who he is.

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Since this has morphed into a Mayfield thread I'll add this:

One of his assets in prior years was his ability to get his shot on net. Shots are off target or getting blocked this year.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Since this has morphed into a Mayfield thread I'll add this:

One of his assets in prior years was his ability to get his shot on net. Shots are off target or getting blocked this year.
Interestingly, he is currently tied with Dobson and Leddy for most 5v5 points by a dman, with Pulock being the only one to have more.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

This is why you shouldn't listen to my scouting analysis of a prospect's game coming out of junior.

Still waiting for Gudbranson to turn in to Shea Weber. It'll happen ... soon ... ish.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
This is why you shouldn't listen to my scouting analysis of a prospect's game coming out of junior.

Still waiting for Gudbranson to turn in to Shea Weber. It'll happen ... soon ... ish.
I don't think a lot of people scouted him right for this, I think this is just Trotz development

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site

In fairness, Pulock was extremely raw as a junior player, having started off his youth hockey as a forward and switching to defense pretty later for a high level player. So, it was particularly hard to tell back then what he'd become as most of what you had to scout him on was raw tools, of which his monster shot the most obvious standout.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad