Confirmed with Link: NYI and Ryan Pulock have a deal: 2 years, $5M AAV

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
At 5mil AAV is great. 2 years is not great but it’s what had to be done in the current situation with the cap league wide.

thres another buyout window coming up in 48 hours. I’m expecting Boychuck or Ladd to be bought out. Probably Boychuck because he had the higher AAV. Unless he can be traded.

JJ18Sniper

Oct 2, 2020
NY
At 5mil AAV is great. 2 years is not great but it’s what had to be done in the current situation with the cap league wide.

thres another buyout window coming up in 48 hours. I’m expecting Boychuck or Ladd to be bought out. Probably Boychuck because he had the higher AAV. Unless he can be traded.

It makes sense but the issue is that buying out Boychuk or Ladd is less savings than burying them in the AHL.

IslesRock4

Ever Forward
Jul 21, 2007
Long Island
Still think Ladd will end up on LTIR. That alone will be enough to re-sign Barzal, and a demotion to the minors for Hickey/Boychuk gives the extra space for Greene, Martin, and a little flexibility.

Even if that’s the “hopeful” solution, it makes the most sense given Lou’s history and the current trade market/league cap situation.

Reactions: periferal

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
This is a steal compared to Devon Toews contract.
I think the term is also good for both the team and the player. Pelech is going to need to be signed for next season. Dobson is going to be on his RFA for 2 more years. Depending on how he progresses, I am expecting him to be a Jones like star, higher upside than even Pulock. The Isles have the flexibility to move Pulock after this year, with one year left on his contract. Obviously I do not want to move him, but as a UFA he is going to command dollars that the Isles may not want to pay. Upwards to 7M. I think this was a move that may ultimately see Pulock go in a trade. For me Pelech is the guy I want signed long term.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I think the term is also good for both the team and the player. Pelech is going to need to be signed for next season. Dobson is going to be on his RFA for 2 more years. Depending on how he progresses, I am expecting him to be a Jones like star, higher upside than even Pulock. The Isles have the flexibility to move Pulock after this year, with one year left on his contract. Obviously I do not want to move him, but as a UFA he is going to command dollars that the Isles may not want to pay. Upwards to 7M. I think this was a move that may ultimately see Pulock go in a trade. For me Pelech is the guy I want signed long term.
If Pulock’s cannons can start going in.....

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Before I read anyone else's commentary, my initial thought was that the 2 year contract term allows the Isles to give him another bigger deal immediately after all of the crap contracts (Ladd, Boychuk, Komarov) come off the books, right?

Reactions: MJF and Kevin27NYI

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Barzal at $6.5M, Greene at $1.25M, Martin and Brassard at $1M, and Ladd to LTIR brings back nearly the entire team from last year and would have about $730K in cap space. Lamoriello isn't going to get fleeced making a deal if LTIR is on the table.

Reactions: SI90 and MJF

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Before I read anyone else's commentary, my initial thought was that the 2 year contract term allows the Isles to give him another bigger deal immediately after all of the crap contracts (Ladd, Boychuk, Komarov) come off the books, right?

Yes, and it gives him the option to go to free agency if he wants.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Yes, and it gives him the option to go to free agency if he wants.

Not that I am hoping for this, but Dobson could be ready for top pairing minutes/role in another 2/3 years as insurance in the case things can't be worked out with Pulock on a long term deal after this one.

In all likelihood, all the money coming off the books within the next 2 seasons frees up resources to sign Pulock. A Pulock-Dobson RD pair would be pretty sick in 2/3 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad