NY Times Report on Concussions

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I just read that story. It really is horrifying and heartbreaking. I feel equally sad for both the father and the son. It's disgraceful that the NHL appears to have offered no help at all.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I wonder if the NHL or NHLPA would respond to this article, but who am I kidding? They'll just sweep this under the rug.

I know that the NHL, teams, managers, and team doctor's are all under fire, but why has the Players' Association, which is supposed to look out for the players, remained radio silent on this issue? Why aren't they protecting former players as well?

Andon

Oct 23, 2016
Is there another media that always writes about the N.H.L. aka National.Hockey.League. because it looks absolutely stupid.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I wonder if the NHL or NHLPA would respond to this article, but who am I kidding? They'll just sweep this under the rug.

I know that the NHL, teams, managers, and team doctor's are all under fire, but why has the Players' Association, which is supposed to look out for the players, remained radio silent on this issue? Why aren't they protecting former players as well?

I'll take a shot at it. I think if the PA were to get involved, it would put them in an awkward position every time they defend the current status quo. A status quo in which they are always defending some of the worst cheap shots committed by some of the most talentless players in the league. Although enforcers are slowly being phased out, the PA wants no part of agreeing that a handful of guys should lose their job even if it's in the players' own interest/safety. In the big picture, it's all about protecting a handful of jobs even at the expense of the safety of the players.

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
This is a tough problem to solve. I’m surprised the league doesn’t try to get involved at least to give him something like lifetime insurance and help him getting treatment/rehab.
Fighting in hockey is tough though. I recently watch Ice Guardians on Netflix which does a great job explaining the history and role of enforcer. Most players agree that fighting helps prevents cheap shots so it’s hard to ignore that.
You also have to consider that not all of these problems are caused by N.H.L. fights. If a guy is an enforcer in the nhl he’s probably fighting in bars and other places as well so blaming everything on a “violent N.H.L. culture” is also wrong.

Reactions: vandymeer13

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Terrible story. The NHL should certainly be doing more for their former players, but what about the junior & minor leagues where many of these guys (including Peat) played and/or fought more than they ever did in the NHL. They never seem to get any blame.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Pretty upsetting to read that.

Not surprised Gary’s NHL turned their back. That’s what you should expect at this point.

Where is the player emergency fund going?

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I think whether it takes 5 years or 20 years, unless medical technology progresses to the point that we can reverse the negative effects of concussions, the NHL will eventually transition to a no hitting game.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Terrible story. The NHL should certainly be doing more for their former players, but what about the junior & minor leagues where many of these guys (including Peat) played and/or fought more than they ever did in the NHL. They never seem to get any blame.
They don’t profit from it like the NHL does. They aren’t financially able to support former players like the NHL.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Concussions are unavoidable in the NHL, the game is very fast. Only way to avoid getting concussions in hockey is to not play it.

Soccer players get brain damage just by doing headers.

That's the problem with sports, it's fast. You take the risk.

I mean sign up for tennis or basketball. Or baseball.

Fast sports are dangerous. You can't avoid the risk if you play it.
Did you read the article pal?

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Did you read the article pal?

Quickly skimmed through it cause of a client. You're right, I'll read through it and then comment.

Damn that's tough. Don't players have insurance though so they can get checked up themselves if they are worried? What could the NHL do to help? The only idea is to document his health and the players in general. But I figured the players would he covered by their contracts right?

Is medical help hard to come by for players?

Last edited:
Reactions: PopaneNightscare

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
The issue here is precedent. As grim as it sounds, if the NHL/NHLPA covered medical bills of players playing in few NHL games, they'd be bankrupt.

The sad nature is the NHL mentality in the 80s and 90s is what caused this. The emphasis on the big, bad NHL and enforcers who took repeated head trauma but were essentially brainwashed into returning to portray this image of toughness and masculinity.

Let's just hope with the change in the game/rulebook, the phasing out of this mentality (and enforcers), and less of an emphasis on fighting, that there will be less cases like this.

GarfSnowed

May 1, 2011
‘I Have No Idea How to Tell This Horror Story’

I'm not sure if anyone read the article from last year but former NHL enforcer Stephen Peat was suffering from concussion symptoms.
The story has now been updated with messages from his father and it has taken a turn for the worst. Apparently he has received no help from the NHL whatsoever. This is also written by the same reporter who covered the Derek Boogaard tragedy.

Hopefully this starts a discussion on help for players after their careers are done.
Some language in the messages is NSFW.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
His fight with PJ Stock is one of the craziest I’ve ever seen. I’m not surprised he’s got brain damage. What a tough read, though. Sad to see Peat and his family not getting any help.

Reactions: Dave Karp

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
I don't know whether I feel worse for the father or the son. The fathers been giving up everything trying to help him and only getting hate in return. That's understandable as the son is losing his grip on reality. The entire family and friends must be suffering, this affects a lot of people

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
It really is good for the sport that those days are over. Too many stories like this. It's a real shame.

Reactions: Vikke

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

Well, they can ignore it, but won't be ignored in the civil suit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad