GDT: NY Rangers 2018 Development Camp Thread

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
A lot of these kids have an idea of what goes into being a pro player and have learned from family members. Ronning, Howden, Andersson and others all have close family connections or other connections to people who have been there.
Thanks for this. I was writing about how the NYR target a ton of kids with connections like this but could only think of 3 names even though I knew there were a ton.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Ronning is a savvy kid he’s winning the PR game that’s for sure. All I see is this kid all over Twitter giving interviews. Seems like he’s a leader. Seems like his dad gave him the blueprint to get here. Would be surprised if he’s not a player for us very soon.

I know we’re saying not surprised that Chytil is dominating but we forget sometimes I think how young this kid really is. He’s what 18 and a half at this point? Heck of a prospect.

Love hearing that he and the other 4 picks ups from last year are staying and training. Going to be huge for them.

Lindgren is the other guy I’m certain is going to play for this team. Besides hajek who’s going to be a stud, Lindgren is going to find a Dan Girardi type role here and wear a letter one day. Intense kid.

Great post and thanks for the update.

I am a little afraid that Ronning will fall a little short when it comes to his skating, with his size and style you need to just be a top 3-4 speedster on the ice every night to play in the NHL, not quite sure he got that. But his dad was such a fluid and effortless skater. Maybe he can get there?

I don’t want to go overboard, but it’s very very rare that a player Chytil’s age is as good as he is when you consider his size. Sure somewhat regularly someone like Aho or Hirscher and the likes really can be ready to play at that age, but it’s much less common with bigger guys like Chytil. The ability to undress defenders and win tough battles.

Definitely reminds me a bit of a young Kopitar.

I am reserving judgement on Hajak until I see him more, haven’t seen him a ton. No matter what he says, going from juniors to the pros is a big challenge for a kid. Someone like Skjei needed time to adjust to the AHL, let alone the NHL. And it’s not just about ‘adjusting’, it’s far from a given that a kid can take that step.

If he can come into camp and blow people away and justify the Tampa deal — great. But you just don’t have to be really good as a D — to beat a time schedule where you need a couple of years before you can handle a regular shift in the NHL and 2-4 more years before you really can make a difference — you have to be extremely good.

Its not hard to find examples of very good junior Ds who just couldn’t establish themselves in the NHL at all or in a meaningful way. I really hope that Hajak has more in him than that.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Throw Kreider on the other wing and they’re essentially the monstars from space jam

Those two, Crapshot and Chytil, just seem like they could be a great match. But I would like a small speedster/energy guy with them. Someone that can cover a lot of ice.

What is Marty Straka doing these days?

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
Those two, Crapshot and Chytil, just seem like they could be a great match. But I would like a small speedster/energy guy with them. Someone that can cover a lot of ice.

What is Marty Straka doing these days?

Ronning maybe?

Reactions: Ola

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Kinda nuts thinking about the speed and skill these guys have out there and realizing like 60 percent of them will never be good enough to play even 1 nhl game.

Crazy.
It's so crazy. Even when you go to open skate or something and there's a low level college player, compared to someone like me who's just having fun and trying not to totally suck, it's crazy how good they are overall but also how far they are from being really high level players.

I had a friend in high school who was really good compared to anyone we knew, left to play for prep school and just dominated there anytime I went to see him, skated with a lot of pros over the summer, all that stuff. Then went to an okay college program, won their division and just wasn't on the draft radar at all. He was so good, it's crazy how incredible someone has to be to even be a late round pick who doesn't pan out in the big scheme of things.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
lias andersson oozes hockey smarts.

dude is always doing the right stuff.

hes one of those foundation players you build around.
Yup, also super confident and mature. Watched the interview with him yesterday and he just acts and talks like a seasoned pro. Not weird in front of the camera, not uncomfortable with any types of questions. Said he'd been taking the new Swedes around town and helping them get to know everyone at camp. This is all off ice stuff, so it's really secondary to on ice stuff, but it's great to see none the less. Really seems like a natural leader.

LaffyTaffy

Brooklyn-Belarussian
Feb 1, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
Chytil Kravtsov and Pajuniemi were the best line, Pajuniemi was a pretty good line rider, made some things happen on his own though. Keane and Miller as a pairing is unfair. Barron and Ronning have been great. Gettinger and Hajek seemed to be just strolling along, i feel like Hajek doesn't take this camp seriously because he just wants to be with the big boys already. That kid is gonna be working his butt off at TC. I liked Lindgren and Fontaine. Fontaine has grown SO much. Hughes scored twice has a nose for the puck. Andersson and Howden were noticeable on the ice every time as was Lundkvist. I think Rangnarsson plays an incredibly steady game. All in all a very fun morning, lots of great things to say.

Reactions: NewYorkNick

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Does anybody get the feeling this kid is going to be great for us for many years?

The Rangers have some very intriguing young talent, there's no getting around it.

We talk about a lot of things, but I'm not really sure we give some of these guys enough credit for the skill they possess.

As an organization, we don't really have a benchmark for what Chytil and Andersson did last season.

Howden, a kid who is widely seen as a support player, albeit potentially a higher-end support player, scored at a 108 point pace last season in the WHL, on top of his continued clutch performances.

Our 2018 picks, with patience, have a lot of upside as well.

Generally speaking, the last time I can remember this team having this much prospect depth would be the 88-92 time frame. So you're talking about 26-30 years.

Last edited:

pblawr

Jul 16, 2016
One thing I haven't seen talked about with Kravstov yet is how good he is defensively. You can tell he used to be a center. He had several good defensive plays in the parts of the scrimmage I saw, including the takeaway on the backcheck, backchecking and breaking up another rush, backchecking and covering a forward that got in behind the D and several other smart positional plays covering for D that pinched.

In fact, I don't think it's a coincidence that a lot of the players we have drafted / acquired in the last year (Andersson, Howden, Hajek, Lindgren, Lundkvist, Miller) profile as very strong defensive players. If everything goes according to plan, I think we will be a very tough team to create scoring chances against.

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
One thing I haven't seen talked about with Kravstov yet is how good he is defensively. You can tell he used to be a center. He had several good defensive plays in the parts of the scrimmage I saw, including the takeaway on the backcheck, backchecking and breaking up another rush, backchecking and covering a forward that got in behind the D and several other smart positional plays covering for D that pinched.

In fact, I don't think it's a coincidence that a lot of the players we have drafted / acquired in the last year (Andersson, Howden, Hajek, Lindgren, Lundkvist, Miller) profile as very strong defensive players. If everything goes according to plan, I think we will be a very tough team to create scoring chances against.

Even Chytil has some defensive ability. I remember one shift in the last game against the Isles last year, he did an amazing job keeping Barzal to the outside, Barzal couldn't do a thing with the puck.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

I think the Rangers respect the need to play a complete game and recognize that transitioning is of critical importance.

Reactions: darko

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
The Rangers have some very intriguing young talent, there's no getting around it.

We talk about a lot of things, but I'm not really sure we give some of these guys enough credit for the skill the possess.

As an organization, we don't really have a benchmark for what Chytil and Andersson did last season.

Howden, a kid who is widely seen as a support player, albeit potentially a higher-end support player, scored at a 108 point pace last season in the WHL, on top of his continued clutch performances.

Our 2018 picks, with patience, have a lot of upside as well.

Generally speaking, the last time I can remember this team having this much prospect depth would be the 88-92 time frame. So you're talking about 26-30 years.

I was being facetious for the most part, but, people are acting as if the Rangers brought in minimal talent this past draft. This team is likely missing two pieces from their prospect pool, a bona fide 1C and 1D. It’s tiresome seeing ‘uh, the Rangers are going to draft someone with character over Hughes if they get the first pick’. ‘ How could they not pick Wahlstrom, since he’s the player I know because that’s what I was spoon fed .’ Or, ‘why did they pass on Joe Veleno?’ (That was for all my fans.). I understand some skepticism, but some of this is just downright silly.

Last edited:

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I was being facetious for the most part, but, people are acting as if the Rangers brought in minimal talent this past draft. This team is likely missing two pieces from their prospect pool, a bona fide 1C and 1D. It’s tiresome seeing ‘uh, the Rangers are going to draft someone with character over Hughes if they get the first pick’. ‘ How could they not pick Wahlstrom, since he’s the player I know because that what I was spoon fed .’ Or, ‘why did they pass on Joe Veleno?’ (That was for all my fans.). I understand some skepticism, but some of this is just downright silly.

I think the character thing gets overstated.

Along the way we seem to forget that our so-called "character players" also have high skill levels too.

It's one of those things that people throw out there, but when you push back or question them, the argument tends to fall apart quickly.

In other words, it's the HF Boards equivalent of a meme. It gets an instant reaction, but ultimately doesn't say a hell of a whole lot.

Reactions: Bozle

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I was being facetious for the most part, but, people are acting as if the Rangers brought in minimal talent this past draft. This team is likely missing two pieces from their prospect pool, a bona fide 1C and 1D. It’s tiresome seeing ‘uh, the Rangers are going to draft someone with character over Hughes if they get the first pick’. ‘ How could they not pick Wahlstrom, since he’s the player I know because that what I was spoon fed .’ Or, ‘why did they pass on Joe Veleno?’ (That was for all my fans.). I understand some skepticism, but some of this is just downright silly.

I think we are still pretty weak down the right side on the blueline...so please make that 1D a RD and lets go!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad