NY Islanders Stanley Cup Playoff Discussion (Caps Win Series 4-3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=39280&navid=nhl:topheads&cmpid=nhl-fb

UNIONDALE, N.Y. -- When the New York Islanders host the Washington Capitals in Game 6 of their Eastern Conference First Round series at Nassau Coliseum on Saturday (3 p.m. ET; NBC, TVA Sports, SN), it could be their last-ever game at the only home they've ever had, even if they win.

New York needs a victory to stay alive in the best-of-7 series and force Game 7 in Washington on Monday. Washington won 5-1 on Thursday in Game 5 at Verizon Center.

"It's obvious that there's a lot of emotion in the building," Islanders coach Jack Capuano said after practice Friday. "At some point it was going to come to this. The fans have been great. I think we worked as a unit of one here; we built a lot of energy off them. We want to play our best in front of this crowd."

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Wrong. Tunnel vision is only focusing on our weaknesses without giving a nod to the things this team has done well all season.

The Islanders have been resilient. We've won our share of close games this year after blowing plenty of leads, not to mention an OT win in this series. We've played well at home in the two games in this series, limiting the Caps scoring chances. Banged up as we are I still wouldn't bet against us today.

Wrong. Capuano convinced enough guys to show up physically, to step up and deliver either in sacrifice or in causing pain, and that is exactly why we won game six. Go review the goals. They weren't tic tac powder princess goals. They were "takes a beating, makes the play" goals. The EN goal was the 4th line giving DC a ***** slap.

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hocke...game-7-with-win-at-nassau-coliseum-1.10332818

"The fans were rocking the place," said Brian Strait, who went from being the seventh defenseman on the roster much of the season to the second pair in the biggest game of the year. "We just wanted to make sure we gave ourselves a chance to keep it going."

Tavares rushed over the Caps blue line a little past the halfway mark of the third. Alex Ovechkin delivered a rodeo-lasso slash on Tavares, then hit the Isles captain hard into the end boards; neither play drew a penalty, which made the Coliseum crowd irate but turned out to be to the Isles' benefit.

As Tavares lay on the ice, with both Ovechkin and Karl Alzner around him, Nick Leddy grabbed the loose puck and fed Nikolay Kulemin, who was by his lonesome in front of the net. Kulemin deked around Holtby and deposited the winner with 9:27 to go.

"I got hit, the puck bounced to Nick, he made a great play. I didn't know we scored 'til I saw everyone going crazy," Tavares said. "I got hit, it kind of shook me up a bit, but I was all right, just trying to gather myself."

frankieboy

Mar 10, 2010
In the CAPS thread, they called JT "fake tough." :shakehead As if OV hitting him from behind makes him "real tough." You can't make this up=CrAPpy fans.

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
In the CAPS thread, they called JT "fake tough." :shakehead As if OV hitting him from behind makes him "real tough." You can't make this up=CrAPpy fans.

I read their game thread, and our team is apparently full of goons, including Nelson.. we were an incredibly dirty team today that was getting away with all kinds of cross checks etc, while the caps played victims to us. And apparently our fan base is the least educated most violent of all. So I take it all with a grain of salt. There were a few posters that were making good points both ways but I guess we all have a certain amount of bias and homerism in these threads.. not unique to the caps or us, so if I read other threads I try not to get to wrapped up in the accusations.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Wrong. Capuano convinced enough guys to show up physically, to step up and deliver either in sacrifice or in causing pain, and that is exactly why we won game six. Go review the goals. They weren't tic tac powder princess goals. They were "takes a beating, makes the play" goals. The EN goal was the 4th line giving DC a ***** slap.

Where do you come up with this stuff?

Are you responding to what I wrote? Because if you are you must not have read it.

IceAce

Strait Trippin'
Jun 9, 2010
Philadelphia
I read their game thread, and our team is apparently full of goons, including Nelson.. we were an incredibly dirty team today that was getting away with all kinds of cross checks etc, while the caps played victims to us. And apparently our fan base is the least educated most violent of all. So I take it all with a grain of salt. There were a few posters that were making good points both ways but I guess we all have a certain amount of bias and homerism in these threads.. not unique to the caps or us, so if I read other threads I try not to get to wrapped up in the accusations.

Having lived in DC for a couple years I can tell you that DC sports fans are some of the worst on the planet. Between their blind devotion to their inept, racist NFL team, and their fair weather fandom regarding their hockey team (which hasn't won a thing in 40 years), their stolen MLB team, or their irrelevant NBA squad, they're a joke. Listening to their sports talk radio for 10 minutes will make you want to jam a screwdriver in your ear.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
For Game 7 the Islanders should seriously consider splitting up Leddy and Boychuk. With caps getting last change that can mean bad things for us and I think having them on separate units sort of minimizes that. I might put Hickey with Boychuk

frankieboy

Mar 10, 2010
Having lived in DC for a couple years I can tell you that DC sports fans are some of the worst on the planet. Between their blind devotion to their inept, racist NFL team, and their fair weather fandom regarding their hockey team (which hasn't won a thing in 40 years), their stolen MLB team, or their irrelevant NBA squad, they're a joke. Listening to their sports talk radio for 10 minutes will make you want to jam a screwdriver in your ear.

Yes. Thank you. I, too, have lived in the DC area for a number of years. Their hockey fans are ignorant. I said in another thread that a Caps fan who was sitting next to me during one of my season ticket years told me the Islanders sucked. His reasoning..."When was the last time the Islanders won the Cup." Uh, a-hole, when was the first time the Caps won the Cup!?!? They way overrate their own players, and have no idea where they rate historically. I remember hearing that Bengt Gustafsson was the best corner-man ever. Uh, ever heard of John Tonelli.

IslesHuskers76

Jun 13, 2014
Lincoln, Nebraska
Yes. Thank you. I, too, have lived in the DC area for a number of years. Their hockey fans are ignorant. I said in another thread that a Caps fan who was sitting next to me during one of my season ticket years told me the Islanders sucked. His reasoning..."When was the last time the Islanders won the Cup." Uh, a-hole, when was the first time the Caps won the Cup!?!? They way overrate their own players, and have no idea where they rate historically. I remember hearing that Bengt Gustafsson was the best corner-man ever. Uh, ever heard of John Tonelli.

He must have become a fan after they got Ovie.

frankieboy

Mar 10, 2010
He must have become a fan after they got Ovie.

That's definitely when most of their fans have started following the team, but I've had season tickets on and off since the late 80s. Bengt Gustafsson last played in 1989. While he was a good player, he was good in the Nielsen mold...not in the mold of a player you mention as the best at his position.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Has a team ever won a playoff series without a power play goal?

I was wondering the same thing a few hours ago, I have to think probably once or twice it has happened. I would think though it more likely occurred in a sweep though, I don't know if anyone has ever won or lost in 7 not scoring one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad