NY Islanders Stanley Cup Playoff Discussion (Caps Win Series 4-3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nystromshairstylist

Dec 13, 2009
The Wash series could go to a game 8

Apparently, the NHL and NBC love the Isles-Caps series so much it could go to a game 8 if the Isles win.

It might mean that this series could be a best of 13, 25 or who knows, maybe 99?

It'll be like the Globetrotters/Washington Generals, they just play each other for the next 25 years, taking this series on the road all over the country, perhaps even Europe.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...-game-7-win-could-force-game-8-172120586.html

Journalism at its finest...

Last edited:

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
Apparently, the NHL and NBC love the Isles-Caps series so much it could go to a game 8 if the Isles win.

It might mean that this series could be a best of 13, 25 or who knows, maybe 99?

It'll be like the Globetrotters/Washington Generals, they just play each other for the next 25 years, taking this series on the road all over the country, perhaps even Europe.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...-game-7-win-could-force-game-8-172120586.html

The comments section there is even better.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com

With as tight as the series has been they may play the equivalent of 8 games.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
Strait continued, "We know our racist, homophobic fans deserve a winner, and we want to give the most unhinged crowd in the league a team they can be proud to fistfight people over." Team captain John Tavares added, "When you get that building going with 16,000 plus crazed, violent sociopaths making noise, it can be a scary place. Especially for people of color, women, and the LGBT community." Coach Jack Capuano summed up the team's sentiments: "Hopefully, the human garbage in those stands haven't thrown their last beer or keyed their last car."

If Garth can embrace his rep, maybe we should all just do the same.

i actually liked "the unhinged crowd" and "sociopaths". I took those as a compliment.

19 Straight

Jan 25, 2006
New Jersey
Forgot about those best of 5's...they were only in the first round, correct?

Yes. Conference semis and other series were best of 7 back then. The Isles were pushed to 5 games in tne first series in 82 and 84. Those were the only elimination games they played in the 19 series streak. In essence, the Islanders blew away the league during that stretch.

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
Yes. Conference semis and other series were best of 7 back then. The Isles were pushed to 5 games in tne first series in 82 and 84. Those were the only elimination games they played in the 19 series streak. In essence, the Islanders blew away the league during that stretch.

Yet, i find they get so little recognition...

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
http://nypost.com/2015/04/26/boychuks-caution-for-isles-before-biggest-game-of-their-lives/

Boychuk had some simple words of wisdom for the team.

“Don’t be scared out there,” Boychuk said. “Play with confidence. It’s one game, but it’s a very important game.”

After several tough hits and scrums — including one after the game ended — tempers figure to be short.

“You have to stay in the moment and not let emotions get the best of you,” Boychuk said. “That’s the main thing. You don’t want to take a penalty. You could be going home because of that penalty.”
And regardless of the outcome, the game will stay with them.

“It’s a fun game,” Boychuk said of Game 7. “Everybody’s going to remember it. And you enjoy it. But you enjoy it a lot more when you win.”

miscreant

Jul 15, 2005
"Every day that goes by and the treatment that they do and everything that goes into the process, you just can't put a guy into a situation where he can get hurt and we've never done that all year," Capuano said. "We'll know a little bit more [Monday], but I'm not going to do it if a guy's in jeopardy."

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=39355&navid=nhl:topheads

Interesting quote by Cappy, leaving maybe a slight chance of getting someone back on D tomorrow.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Screw that, I want the first goal. This game has 2-1 overtime all over it.

I am just reading the tea leaves. Our club finally got the message and earned that win with a strong work ethic and a take no prisoners approach from the first puck drop.

Washington will come at us exactly the same way. Keeping that approaching storm at bay for the first period would deflate anyone, and that's when you take them out because they will get sloppy.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Guys I'm really ****ing nervous. Thankfully I don't teach this week, just proctor.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Guys I'm really ****ing nervous. Thankfully I don't teach this week, just proctor.

relaxxxxxxxxxxxxx. I kinda have the quiet confidence thing going on. These team has too many pro's on it to let them falter. JT/Boychuk/Leddy/Jaro/etc. have been there before(except JT but he's going to be great no matter what).

I feel like the caps have more of the emotional trainwreck type of team.

GTislanders

Jan 9, 2014

Im really emotional. I just cried hysterically thinking about the joy and hapiness that will flow into my life if the team i loves so much wins tonight. I literally will collapse to my knees in sheer joy. I just would give anything to win this game tonight. We need this as fans. We need this moment. We need to be able to get back together as a fanbase vs the Rangers and literally shake that building to its foundational core. I want all of Long Island to hear us. Please, just give us this moment!!!!

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Im really emotional. I just cried hysterically thinking about the joy and hapiness that will flow into my life if the team i loves so much wins tonight. I literally will collapse to my knees in sheer joy. I just would give anything to win this game tonight. We need this as fans. We need this moment. We need to be able to get back together as a fanbase vs the Rangers and literally shake that building to its foundational core. I want all of Long Island to hear us. Please, just give us this moment!!!!

No none of that. No joy and happiness just yet if they win. Time to focus on the next opponent. No resting on your laurels here Okpo!!!!!!!

16 wins!!!!!!!!!!!! This isn't just about 1 round no matter how long it's been!

GTislanders

Jan 9, 2014
No none of that. No joy and happiness just yet if they win. Time to focus on the next opponent. No resting on your laurels here Okpo!!!!!!!

16 wins!!!!!!!!!!!! This isn't just about 1 round no matter how long it's been!

Yeah but you forget most of us have never seen a playoff series win. Ever. I have been here since 2000 and this is...... I need this lol. We need this. We need to let out the sheer joy from winning a playoff series. And tben we can move on to the rangahz

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Yeah but you forget most of us have never seen a playoff series win. Ever. I have been here since 2000 and this is...... I need this lol. We need this. We need to let out the sheer joy from winning a playoff series. And tben we can move on to the rangahz

I haven't seen one since 93 lol.

Just have my eyes on the big picture. If the team wins I hope they keep it calm and collected going into the next round.

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
i just wanna see us ****ing pummel the rangers

but, in order to get there, we need to take care of business tonight

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I haven't seen one since 93 lol.

Just have my eyes on the big picture. If the team wins I hope they keep it calm and collected going into the next round.

Indeed. The Capitals tonight. Game 7. That's the matter at hand.

TROLLCHUK

Jul 1, 2006
Whether we win or lose this franchise has shown we are here for the long haul as SC contender. Whether we are more Hawks/Kings or Blues/Sharks this season will be more clear after tonight.

LGI!!!!

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/...e-new-history-in-game-7-of-islanders-capitals

“We’ve got a relentless bunch of guys in here,” Capuano said Sunday, his voice still hoarse from the effort of trying to make himself heard above the din at the Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum.

The coaching staff had meetings with the players to talk about minor adjustments in the lead-up to Monday night, but at this stage it’s really in the hands of the players.

“Then you get out of the way,” Capuano said.

“These guys want to stick together. They want to fight for another day. They’re a close bunch of guys.”

“We’re going to do everything in our power to make sure it doesn’t happen [the end of the team’s time at the Coliseum]. We want to get back and keep playing games here. Tomorrow, for a lot of guys, is the biggest game of their lives,” Islanders forward Kyle Okposo told reporters before the team headed to Washington.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/colum...pen-with-islanders-capitals-game-7-1.10336127

What happened two days ago has no more bearing on this Game 7 than what happened in the Easter Epic 28 years ago. You might see anything in an event that is an elimination game for both sides, and it might take you a while to see it.

LaFontaine recalled recently that the atmosphere at Capital Centre, then the Washington team's home, became so surreal that he heard himself asking an athletic trainer, "Can we have some oxygen?" He recalls that one teammate lost 12 pounds of fluid in a match that went as long as two regular games, and then some. LaFontaine and teammate Mikko Makela drank carb-laden shakes between periods, something he doubts the medical staff would allow now.

"I looked up in the stands, it's almost 2 in the morning, and the organist starts playing the music from 'The Twilight Zone' -- you know, 'Doo-doo, doo-doo,' " he said, singing the familiar tune as he recounted it during a late-season visit to Nassau Coliseum. "There was a moment when I said, 'What's going on here?' "

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
http://islanderspointblank.com/islanders/as-game-seven-looms-isles-want-to-make-history/

Islanders fans haven’t seen a Game 7 in 12 years. That will change Monday night at the Verizon Center.game 6 goal

“It’s coming down to one game and you just have to leave it all on the line,” John Tavares said after practice on Sunday. “You want to do everything you can, knowing you don’t have any excuses at the end of the day. We believe in our group that we can go out there and get a win.”

The Islanders have five players who have played in a Game 7 before. The most elder statesman of that group — Johnny Boychuk — offered his advice.

http://nypost.com/2015/04/26/the-record-for-futility-the-isles-would-love-to-set/

Coach Jack Capuano was aware of that following his team’s practice at Nassau Coliseum on Sunday, but isn’t necessarily looking to build on it.

“It goes to show you how well we’re playing defensively and the structure of the team,” Capuano said of his team’s ability to force a Game 7 without any power-play success. “Maybe in Game 7 when we need a big goal on the power play, it comes through for us.”

One of the players responsible for the lack of production, John Tavares, insisted again the unit wasn’t performing as poorly as the stat line might indicate.

“We’ve had some good looks all series,” said Tavares, who — not surprisingly — led the Isles with 13 power-play goals during the regular season. “I don’t think we’ve been as sharp as we’d like to be, but we’ve had some chances. We have to do a better job of getting some rebounds and getting to the net.”

http://news.yahoo.com/capitals-islanders-game-7-stirs-epic-memories-060903946--spt.html

There's only been one Game 7 between the Capitals and Islanders, but it has stood the test of time — lots and lots and lots of time — as one of the great games in postseason annals.

The "Easter Epic" in 1987 between Washington and New York lasted long into the night before Pat Lafontaine finally won it for the Islanders in the fourth overtime, giving his team a 3-2 victory in the game and a 4-3 win in the first-round series. New York's Kelly Hrudey made 73 saves in what is still the longest Game 7 in NHL history.

Those two teams will play another Game 7 on Monday night — the first winner-take-all contest of this year's postseason. The Capitals and Islanders both finished the regular season with 101 points, and they've both found time to score 14 goals through the first six games of this series — when they haven't been busy trying to slam each other into the glass.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hocke...e-experience-and-talent-to-lean-on-1.10335958

The Islanders brought in three playoff-tested veterans before the season, and in Monday night's Game 7 in Washington against the Capitals, the Isles will rely heavily on the cool and savvy of the three: Jaroslav Halak in net and Nick Leddy and Johnny Boychuk on defense.

But the Islanders will need their longtime core to carry them through to a conference semifinal matchup with the Rangers. John Tavares, Frans Nielsen, Kyle Okposo, Josh Bailey, Matt Martin -- the only Game 7 experience for any of these Islanders vets came when they were teenagers playing amateur hockey, if then.

"These are the kinds of games, you see them on TV every playoff and you wish to be a part of them," Nielsen said Sunday. "I think it's a lot of excitement in this room right now. You can feel it that something big is going to happen tomorrow."

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hocke...-have-confidence-in-jaroslav-halak-1.10335868

Jaroslav Halak has a pretty good track record in playoff elimination games. His Game 6 win over the Capitals moved him to 6-1 in his career with only 12 goals allowed. He's also 4-0 in such games against the Caps.

But all of Halak's previous playoff experience came five years ago with Montreal. History looks nice, but the way Halak has played in the majority of the games in this first-round series is what gives the Islanders faith in him entering Monday night's Game 7.

"I'm very confident,'' Jack Capuano said of Halak, who had 38 saves in Game 6 on Saturday. "He's been there before, he knows what it takes. No question he'll probably be our best player.''

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
Whether we win or lose this franchise has shown we are here for the long haul as SC contender. Whether we are more Hawks/Kings or Blues/Sharks this season will be more clear after tonight.

LGI!!!!

Your positive outlook is excellent, but what the team has done this past year to get us here is just a step in the right direction. We stepped up and spent on some key players that will fit in the core of exciting young stars emerging from the draft years. That was what had to happen.
But the the other teams that compete with us will not sit back and rest, so the team has to be committed to additional progress to fill in the holes we have (including coaching) in the offseason.

For right now, the group we have can be competitive if they play their game and execute it for the full game.
I hope Staple was not speaking for the organization when he suggested there would be only minor adjustments this summer. Success breeds success. The lesson of 2002 should not be forgotten. Build on your base and improve it.

That is for another day.
For today, kick some Crapital ass. They are going to get flustered and scared. We will win a late goal close game because we can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad