NY Islanders Sale Talk ONLY Part IV **Post 400, Isles SOLD**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not4u

Dec 2, 2013
Manhattan
What is a competent owner? Wouldn't most owners who were deemed not competent become competent after winning? It's the same way with coaches. Coughlin had to go, until the Giants won a Super Bowl.

I don't think Jerry Jones is a competent owner, and he's won a few championships. Dolan has owned the Knicks and Rags for how long? He's won a championship, but would he be considered competent? Jim Irsay is a pretty big moron, and he's won championships. There have been plenty of bad/incompetent owners who have won a few championships...it's just a lot harder with that in the way.

To be fair...MSG has zero championships since Jim Dolan took over in 99...in 94 cablevision only owned 50% of the Garden with ITT owning the other half.....Jim Dolan had little or nothing to do with management of the Rangers and Knicks. In fact they only bought there 50% stake the year the Rangers won there cup.

Edit....it looks like cablevison didn't actually buy there first 50% stake in the garden until 2 months after the rangers won the cup

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
It is all silly definitions with you.

Injuries that ruin lives are obviously a disaster. The running of a sports franchise in terms of performance, the Islanders have been a disaster under Wang (in terms of an owner). The Nino trade was also a disaster ( in terms of trades).

It is all context and relative but the term disaster could be applied to trades, ownership, and real life situations relative to the context

Wang has not been a disaster. he came in and rescued the team. spent crazy, trying to create a secure foundation. yes, Yashin and Dipietro were disasters, but i doubt that Wang had intended for that to happen. he is a businessman, and what kind of business man would deliberatley sabotage his own enterprise? you have called him many names such as idiot, and moron. i ask you... how many idiots and morons have accumulated in the neighborhood of 5 hundred million dollars in wealth?

Snow has not been a disaster. he made some bad deals. made some good ones. drafted relatively well, after realizing that it was the only way to build the team. had nothing to start with, after Milbury decimated the team. he is not the best GM, but i don't think he is the worst.

the Isles are trending upward. if you are an Isles fan, you will enjoy this.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
What is a competent owner? Wouldn't most owners who were deemed not competent become competent after winning? It's the same way with coaches. Coughlin had to go, until the Giants won a Super Bowl.

I don't think Jerry Jones is a competent owner, and he's won a few championships. Dolan has owned the Knicks and Rags for how long? He's won a championship, but would he be considered competent? Jim Irsay is a pretty big moron, and he's won championships. There have been plenty of bad/incompetent owners who have won a few championships...it's just a lot harder with that in the way.

The difference for me would be, "Do they get involved in operations?"

You can be a flaming idiot, but if you hire good people and let them do their job then your chances of winning go up significantly.

Wang interferes, much like the head of the clerical union at NASA leaning over the Master of Launch Sequence's shoulder and pushing the ignition switch. He is a rank moron in all things hockey, but he also makes operations level decisions like he knows what he is doing when it is clear to everyone with three or more functioning brain cells that he does not. He is Happy Gilmore performing open heart surgery because he bought the entire season of "Emergency!" He screws himself too, but is blind to that nugget of truth. Out of all the people who have screwed him over with the Islanders, he has screwed himself most of all and I honestly think he is the perfect combination of stupid and stubborn to ever admit that to himself.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
Wang kept Milbury, never fired him, never tries to right the ship, never....wait, why even bother? It'l like I'm crucifying Saint Chucky of Islandia. The guy's been great. Give him another twelve years and we might get into the second round.

With the lowest payroll in the league each year. And maybe a coach from New England.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
It is all silly definitions with you.

Injuries that ruin lives are obviously a disaster. The running of a sports franchise in terms of performance, the Islanders have been a disaster under Wang (in terms of an owner). The Nino trade was also a disaster ( in terms of trades).

It is all context and relative but the term disaster could be applied to trades, ownership, and real life situations relative to the context

Well, yeah, I guess now definitions are silly. If the blueprint for the actual language is silly then let's just say you win. Congratulations (whatever that means to you in context).

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
OK...Wang, as an NHL owner, has been embarrassing and borderline PATHETIC in his performance.

A real winner.....wait, that might be construed wrong by some more sensate. :D

Hip Of Rick*

Snow Must Go!
Mar 17, 2007
Philadelphia
Wang has not been a disaster. he came in and rescued the team. spent crazy, trying to create a secure foundation. yes, Yashin and Dipietro were disasters, but i doubt that Wang had intended for that to happen. he is a businessman, and what kind of business man would deliberatley sabotage his own enterprise? you have called him many names such as idiot, and moron. i ask you... how many idiots and morons have accumulated in the neighborhood of 5 hundred million dollars in wealth?

Snow has not been a disaster. he made some bad deals. made some good ones. drafted relatively well, after realizing that it was the only way to build the team. had nothing to start with, after Milbury decimated the team. he is not the best GM, but i don't think he is the worst.

the Isles are trending upward. if you are an Isles fan, you will enjoy this.

Not going to go into details as they have been rehashed 100s of times on here but everything about Wang and Snow screams disaster.

The Isles are trending upward and I will enjoy having a better team. However, its hard not to after finishing in the basement for nearly 8 straight seasons. I refuse to give credit to Snow and Wang for losing and collecting draft picks.

Well, yeah, I guess now definitions are silly. If the blueprint for the actual language is silly then let's just say you win. Congratulations (whatever that means to you in context).

Definitions are great when looking up words in the dictionary. The context of how a word is used is just as or even more important than a dictionary definition. Its common sense

Last edited:

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
To be fair...MSG has zero championships since Jim Dolan took over in 99...in 94 cablevision only owned 50% of the Garden with ITT owning the other half.....Jim Dolan had little or nothing to do with management of the Rangers and Knicks. In fact they only bought there 50% stake the year the Rangers won there cup.

Edit....it looks like cablevison didn't actually buy there first 50% stake in the garden until 2 months after the rangers won the cup

Thanks for that information, didn't realize that.

The difference for me would be, "Do they get involved in operations?"

You can be a flaming idiot, but if you hire good people and let them do their job then your chances of winning go up significantly.

Wang interferes, much like the head of the clerical union at NASA leaning over the Master of Launch Sequence's shoulder and pushing the ignition switch. He is a rank moron in all things hockey, but he also makes operations level decisions like he knows what he is doing when it is clear to everyone with three or more functioning brain cells that he does not. He is Happy Gilmore performing open heart surgery because he bought the entire season of "Emergency!" He screws himself too, but is blind to that nugget of truth. Out of all the people who have screwed him over with the Islanders, he has screwed himself most of all and I honestly think he is the perfect combination of stupid and stubborn to ever admit that to himself.

That's a fair assessment. Plenty of owners have been meddling in their team's business, and have won a championship.

BroadwayJay*

Definitions are great when looking up words in the dictionary. The context of how a word is used is just as or even more important than a dictionary definition. Its common sense

That is only true when everyone agrees on the context, often that isn't the case.

There is no arguing against the definition in the dictionary though.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

That's not true. You need to agree on the definitions of the words in order to progress an argument, no matter the context.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
Ok, lets try this... To which do the Wang/Snow/Milbury era Islanders more closely belong:

Synonym of disaster
calamity,cataclysm,catastrophe,tragedy,disaster,catastrophe,tragedy,calamity,cataclysm,accident,adventure,contingency,happening,misfortune,hazard,mishap,casualty,fortuity,incident,possibility,chance,hap,misadventure

Antonym of disaster
appointment,decree,intention,ordainment,preparation,calculation,fate,law,ordinance,provision,certainty,foreordination,necessity,plan,purpose

BroadwayJay*

ok, lets try this... To which do the wang/snow/milbury era islanders more closely belong:

Synonym of disaster
calamity,cataclysm,catastrophe,tragedy,disaster,catastrophe,tragedy,calamity,cataclysm,accident,adventure,contingency,happening,misfortune,hazard,mishap,casualty,fortuity,incident,possibility,chance,hap,misadventure

antonym of disaster
appointment,decree,intention,ordainment,preparation,calculation,fate,law,ordinance,provision,certainty,foreordination,necessity,plan,purpose

fate!

Butchie91

Aug 11, 2010
Brooklyn NY
He kind of won this trophy called the Stanley Cup. Perhaps you've heard of it before? :sarcasm:

Smith had nothing to do with that Cup. It was Keanen. All trades at the dead line were Keanen's requests. Keanen wanted Mattau, McTavish, Lorimer, Noonan. Keanen knew that Gartner, Patrick, Amonte were not playoffs performers. Smith's trades before and after that season did not amount to anything. If not for Keanen, 1940 chant would still be going strong.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Smith had nothing to do with that Cup. It was Keanen. All trades at the dead line were Keanen's requests. Keanen wanted Mattau, McTavish, Lorimer, Noonan. Keanen knew that Gartner, Patrick, Amonte were not playoffs performers. Smith's trades before and after that season did not amount to anything. If not for Keanen, 1940 chant would still be going strong.

Smith was GM for 5 years before the cup win. Giving him zero credit is asinine. Isles fans only said such things AFTER he was fired, because we wanted to look at the bright spots and not the negative.

In fact Smith in his ONE year arguably was a better drafter than Snow in his 8. Smith drafted the 2nd best forward on this team. Snow had the finish in last place and be handed Tavares before he was able to draft a better forward than Smith. That's pathetic.

Honestly when does the "positivity" become "foolishness"? We actually have posters now defending Wang's "success" with the Islanders?

14 (going on 15) years with ZERO playoff series victories might be ok with some people-but it's not with me. I have higher standards than that.

For the millionth time: Strome and Reinhart were LITERALLY not even alive the last time we won a playoff series. That's a DISASTER.

D-I-S-A-S-T-E-R.

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
Smith was GM for 5 years before the cup win. Giving him zero credit is asinine. Isles fans only said such things AFTER he was fired, because we wanted to look at the bright spots and not the negative.

In fact Smith in his ONE year arguably was a better drafter than Snow in his 8. Smith drafted the 2nd best forward on this team. Snow had the finish in last place and be handed Tavares before he was able to draft a better forward than Smith. That's pathetic.

Honestly when does the "positivity" become "foolishness"? We actually have posters now defending Wang's "success" with the Islanders?

14 (going on 15) years with ZERO playoff series victories might be ok with some people-but it's not with me. I have higher standards than that.

For the millionth time: Strome and Reinhart were LITERALLY not even alive the last time we won a playoff series. That's a DISASTER.

D-I-S-A-S-T-E-R.

And when you look at the signings Neil Smith did for us in his very short tenure, they were good players and helped us then Snow picked them apart and traded them.

Neil was an underrated GM... Regardless of what people think he helped build that 94 team. The coach was just a cog for the war machine.

Neil would of been a great GM for us, and Wang f'd him just like he f'd Patty.

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
And quite honestly, even if some of you want to argue about it this was honestly Garth's best off-season of his 7 year tenure here. I pointed out a long time ago if some of you remember the off-seasons prior to this... Just god awful.

When we look at Neil Smith's off-season, he signed good players for us.

Snow is sweating right now. Win or he's gonna be jobless.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
If you look at the business of hockey board it's not just Isles fan's using the term "disaster" to describe the era.

BTW we are closing in on the all time NHL record for the longest stretch without a playoff victory.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

I do agree with this. I never thought much of Neil Smith and then once wang hired him my opinion of him dropped straight to the floor.

Smith did a fine job, but nothing outstanding when you consider he was given basically almost an unlimited budget to field a winner as this was the pre-salary cap era of the NHL.

If Neil Smith was GM of Florida back then don't think he would have had the same success the same way I think if Eli & Peyton Manning switched places the Colts would have zero Super Bowls and the Giants would probably have four.

Hip Of Rick*

Snow Must Go!
Mar 17, 2007
Philadelphia
If you look at the business of hockey board it's not just Isles fan's using the term "disaster" to describe the era.

BTW we are closing in on the all time NHL record for the longest stretch without a playoff victory.

Disaster may even be an understatement to describe the Wang/Snow/Milbury era

Butchie91

Aug 11, 2010
Brooklyn NY

D-I-S-A-S-T-E-R.

I'm not arguing that Snow is better than Smith. I'm saying that Smith got way too much credit for rags cup. He had unlimited budget to play with as opposed to Snow's restrictions. I would not want ether one of them on my team. We could have had Dean Lombardi when he was available after 2003 season.
BTW, it is 21 years without playoffs series victory.:(

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
Regardless of the cluster***** that followed, one person I don't feel bad about is Neil Smith. Before we hired him no one was interested in hiring him, and after we fired him no one thought he deserved another chance. The only reason we had to settle for him was because Wang required candidates to be comfortable with Milbury remaining a presence.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Regardless of the cluster***** that followed, one person I don't feel bad about is Neil Smith. Before we hired him no one was interested in hiring him, and after we fired him no one thought he deserved another chance. The only reason we had to settle for him was because Wang required candidates to be comfortable with Milbury remaining a presence.

It's not about how good Smith is that's the problem...it's about how awful Snow is. EIGHT YEARS with ZERO playoff series wins is unacceptable. Period.

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
It's not about how good Smith is that's the problem...it's about how awful Snow is. EIGHT YEARS with ZERO playoff series wins is unacceptable. Period.

agreed. my only point is that i see no reason to pine for neil smith or wish he was our GM. neil smith's hiring was a symptom of the problems that infect this organization under wang, not a potential respite from them.

Nelly

Jul 22, 2011

The only reason why we hired him was because Smith agreed to the "Committee" style of management Wang wanted because of the failure of Milbury. Once Smith said the committee wasn't going to work that's when Wang turfed him.

-------------

This thread should be closed as it has totally gone off the rails.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad