NY Islanders Sale Talk ONLY Part IV **Post 400, Isles SOLD**

Status
Not open for further replies.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
I guess the previous owners, the ones between Pickett and Wang, were all morally bankrupt too?

YEAH! How many went to jail?
Those upright TOH pols were not practicing partisan politics over the yrs?
Nassau pols were. Nassau pols in both parties were scum. Are you referring to Murray and her land usage studies and allotments? Nothing partisan. What did she have to gain?

And I would say the TOH pols jumped into bed with Ratner because the isles had signed a 25 yr Barclays lease. The Isles Coliseum lease was coming to an end. The County had to have someone renovate the Coliseum and move a tenant in.

Yeah, a big part is what to do with the lost opportunity, but also let's not forget:

Ratner had a complete plan.

Ratner was professional.

Ratner didn't throw in wrenches that defied any zoning questions.

Ratner's competent. He didn't suggest ONCE a Sumo Wrestler lay brick or shovel.

scott99

May 13, 2005
I really hope the Peak Group sues him as well. And I hope either Barroway or the Peak group wins their cases. Hopefully the info about the Peak group gets used in the Barroway court case. This is the ultimate in dealing with a person who cannot negotiate faithfully and he needs to be punished for that. Will he be ? I doubt it. But I wish he would be.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
I really hope the Peak Group sues him as well. And I hope either Barroway or the Peak group wins their cases. Hopefully the info about the Peak group gets used in the Barroway court case. This is the ultimate in dealing with a person who cannot negotiate faithfully and he needs to be punished for that. Will he be ? I doubt it. But I wish he would be.

Scott, I don't give a tinkers damn anymore about who is or isn't the new owners. If Wang doesn't drive Ledecky and Malkin off during the next two years of his meddling and insanity, they will take over as majority owners. What I do care about is that miscreant Wang will still be around the team with a significant ownership stake, minority or not. Trouble can only come from that as the process of selling the team has again displayed his already well proven sleazy business behaviors.
There is a viper in the basement and it is Wang. He goes beyond "tough businessman", right up to the borderline of illegal. Unethical is almost a compliment to those who have no ethics. This should be expected of him. Who would ever guess that he could sell the team without any controversy or stain, get out and leave us alone to rebuild and repair the damage he has done as owner?
There is always a high road and a low road. Charles only knows one road, not hard to guess.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Scott, I don't give a tinkers damn anymore about who is or isn't the new owners. If Wang doesn't drive Ledecky and Malkin off during the next two years of his meddling and insanity, they will take over as majority owners. What I do care about is that miscreant Wang will still be around the team with a significant ownership stake, minority or not. Trouble can only come from that as the process of selling the team has again displayed his already well proven sleazy business behaviors.
There is a viper in the basement and it is Wang. He goes beyond "tough businessman", right up to the borderline of illegal. Unethical is almost a compliment to those who have no ethics. This should be expected of him. Who would ever guess that he could sell the team without any controversy or stain, get out and leave us alone to rebuild and repair the damage he has done as owner?
There is always a high road and a low road. Charles only knows one road, not hard to guess.

I'm with ya on that BillD. It's going to be a scary and rough 2 years. Hopefully they've built a winning team, and that will take my mind off it. If they get off to a bad start like the last few years, hopefully Ledecky and Malkin have enough pull to force Snow's hand when it comes to firing the coach, and or Force Wang's hand when it comes to firing Snow if we get off to a slow start. We cannot go to Barclay's as a non playoff team.

Nelly

Jul 22, 2011

I think Peak Group has no plans of suing because they do not want to get in to Bettman's bad books when the opportunity arises to purchase another team.

I do believe Borrowaway knows he'll never own an NHL franchise at the going rate so that's why he's burning bridges. Yes, I know his lawsuit is against Wang and not the NHL but for sure Bettman was in on all of Wang's 3 (or more) dealings every step of the way.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
YEAH! How many went to jail?

Nassau pols were. Nassau pols in both parties were scum. Are you referring to Murray and her land usage studies and allotments? Nothing partisan. What did she have to gain?

Yeah, a big part is what to do with the lost opportunity, but also let's not forget:

Ratner had a complete plan.

Ratner was professional.

Ratner didn't throw in wrenches that defied any zoning questions.

A better question for the bolded part: how many did NOT go to jail, yet the County pols still did get past the partisan politics to get a deal done? It took the isles signing a 25 yr lease to play in Brooklyn and a countdown date until we would see an empty Coliseum before the County pols got off their ***** and addressed the falling down arena.

If the isles Coliseum ease extended another decade, the County pols would have continued to give lip service and ignore the problem for the next decade.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
A better question for the bolded part: how many did NOT go to jail, yet the County pols still did get past the partisan politics to get a deal done? It took the isles signing a 25 yr lease to play in Brooklyn and a countdown date until we would see an empty Coliseum before the County pols got off their ***** and addressed the falling down arena.

If the isles Coliseum ease extended another decade, the County pols would have continued to give lip service and ignore the problem for the next decade.

I don't live in Nassau County so I do not have a feel for management abilities. They are supposed to be operating under a State oversight board to stave off bankruptcy since the 1990's so they can't be that swift. But the real problem was not so much the County as it was the Town of Hempstead that stood in the way of development. Yes, I agree, they would have done nothing except prevaricate as long as the team paid the rent. Now that there will be no anchor tenant, they are suddenly open to renovation on the developers terms.
Wang attempted to pay for a renovation by developing the area surrounding the Coliseum which is why he bought the team in the first place. TOH and competing developers would never allow Wang to see this through for both political and selfish reasons, so here we are, headed to Brooklyn, the westernmost part of Long Island.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

Yes, yes, and yes again. :handclap:

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Your personal feelings would have no bearing on any business deals, including this one. Though if your millions were on the line, I think you would think twice.

Over a few hundred or a few thousand? Maybe. But over $500million I think 99.99% of people would have done the same thing as Wang.

That's more than most (if not all) HF Islander fan posters will make in their lifetimes COMBINED.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home

[mod]

I doubt Wang gets sued by Peak but I have some confidence he'll pay up a pretty penny to Barroway. And deservedly so.

Last edited by a moderator:

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
Over a few hundred or a few thousand? Maybe. But over $500million I think 99.99% of people would have done the same thing as Wang.

That's more than most (if not all) HF Islander fan posters will make in their lifetimes COMBINED.

Considering Wang has financial misgivings all around him since he 'cashed out' of CA, he's got a track record of being a scheister.

For a man that is very private, he certainly has enough stink on him in how he operates that makes one question whether they really want to deal with him. However, he owns a NHL hockey team moving to Brooklyn - there's one of those and one somewhat has to deal with his terms (remember, it's always on his terms), however, as far as an arena goes, the TOH/Nassau, whatever, elected to pass on binding themselves to Wang.

Wang has already convinced people he's the 'hero that saved the isles from moving' and later, he sustained millions in annual loses to keep the team afloat and from moving. Wow, what a guy! Yet, all along that path, NO ONE wanted his money to do his things. Sure, SB has the Wang center (donation, paying back former CA board member) and he's donated several parks (again, donation), all of which MOST people don't turn down. However, when getting into a long term bad with the guy, doesn't seem like most people were that interested.

BC needed the Isles and Wang needed a home since he failed big time with Nassau and never going anywhere else for a deal. Gee, I remember PIT threatening to move because of the Igloo, yet Wang never did that. Why? Because he wanted 'all in' in Nassau on HIS terms and tried to play the good guy publicly hoping that would bite. Nassau/TOH said 'no thanks' to Wang, the owner of the Isles.

Last edited:

Strome18

Oct 23, 2010
Florida

This we can agree on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad