Speculation: NY Islanders Sale Talk ONLY Part III *Barroway out Post 652*

Status
Not open for further replies.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
As most know, I was the one, or among the first to start this topic by inferring Wang was talking to a potential buyer about selling a majority of the team. I was told he was a lawyer from Philly. Shortly after I asked the name of the guy because I live around Philly, and was given the name Andrew Barroway. I was told the deal was close, 80% done. I kept that to myself and didn't post it. That was back in December, and I own that and am not running from it.
By late December the rumor of the negotiations were starting to fly around the internet mainly due to a guy on another message board posting the information. He is the guy who has the inside contact and who passed it to me, only I never knew until recently that he was posting this on the other board.
Shortly after Wang was reported to be furious at the leak of this information/rumor, and he issued a document he called a "Memorandum of Offer which I believe was picked up in Newsday, on the Islander website, and on IPB. It stated that Wang was interested in getting offers to purchase a majority ownership up to 75% and that Wang would hold the 25% balance which could be purchased incrementally over a 5 year period. The document revealed some other information such as last years ticket revenue ($22MM) and other interesting items. Wang denied that the team was sold or even that he had an interested party that he was negotiating with and This is fact.
I do not know any of the other posters who claim to have knowledge of negotiations or a sale. I was told around May that the deal was done and that Barroway owned the team 100% for the full price of $400MM, and they were waiting for either the end of conference finals or SCF to announce this.
Both have come and gone and so far no announcement.
But also, we have people who claim to know that there is no sale at all, or even negotiations (Gallof). So a reasonable question is, how does he know that for certain? Is his method of deduction lack of affirmation of a sale? In other words, Gallof as no direct knowledge either way, but because there is no announcement he is saying there is no sale and never was. In the realm of possibilities he could be right or wrong, we (myself and the source) could be right or wrong. Only Barroway (quoted as "I can't talk about it yet") and Wang know for sure, along with their trusted advisors.
So here we sit, putting deadlines on when we can dismiss this story as untrue, or waiting hopefully for it to be true.
As for myself, I am now 50/50 and just do not know what to think about it. I trust the source as not a clown or practical jokester, a scam artist, or a young kid trying to create an internet buzz to drive everyone nuts. He is a serious guy in his early 40's with a family and was a STH for a number of years. I asked if this information was BS and who it came from and was told that it was a very close friend, formerly college roommate and best man at his wedding. He is a supposed to be a minority investor who is in the sports agency business but not the NHL, and he already is a minority owner of an NBA team. Between that and the early information being somewhat supported (Philly lawyer, name Barroway, the majority stake, the sell price) and all matched up.
I do not want to try and make a case for this and inflame hopes any more than already has happened, so I will say that the source has shut down after telling that Barroway was really annoyed at the leaks and made all the investors sign a Non-Disclosure Agreement. Since then...nothing.

So that is the full Monte. I expected to get hammered if this didn't go down but I wanted to share some good news with my fellow Islander fans which looked to have legs. This is not any excuse if it doesn't turn out good, just a full explanation which I think I owe everyone.

I wouldn't sweat it Bill, it's not like you came in here and acted like you had to prove something to us. All you did was leave some info you heard and you were right about a lot of the info coming out too. It's not like if the Isles got sold you were going to come in here and say " I told you guys! All of you who didn't trust me are stupid and wrong!"

While some people have remained more negative towards the situation (to my belief Gallof is the only one who has said there is no negotiations even going on). Which could blow up in his face if it's totally wrong and they get sold tomorrow.

But everyone is 100% confident their source is telling the truth, which makes it even harder to find out who to trust. It's all speculation at this point, I'm not gonna hate you if they don't get sold :laugh:

scott99

May 13, 2005
I just wish THIS fact was shared, quoted from above:

"I do not want to try and make a case for this and inflame hopes any more than already has happened, so I will say that the source has shut down after telling that Barroway was really annoyed at the leaks and made all the investors sign a Non-Disclosure Agreement. Since then...nothing."

I'm surprised you didn't share this little tidbit earlier,That would at least keep people (or maybe just me) somewhat calm. Since other people like RickyRed39 (who you said had the same source as you) and the Visor guy kept harping on AFTER the Finals, and didn't share this little tidbit you just shared, people have just dismissed the rumors as BS. I'm very comfortable with this Non-Disclosure Agreement theory, which would keep people from asking, "Is it done yet ?". Makes a lot of sense. My guess is, IF it's truly done, it'll be announced at the draft (JUST a guess).

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
As most know, I was the one, or among the first to start this topic by inferring Wang was talking to a potential buyer about selling a majority of the team. I was told he was a lawyer from Philly. Shortly after I asked the name of the guy because I live around Philly, and was given the name Andrew Barroway. I was told the deal was close, 80% done. I kept that to myself and didn't post it. That was back in December, and I own that and am not running from it.
By late December the rumor of the negotiations were starting to fly around the internet mainly due to a guy on another message board posting the information. He is the guy who has the inside contact and who passed it to me, only I never knew until recently that he was posting this on the other board.
Shortly after Wang was reported to be furious at the leak of this information/rumor, and he issued a document he called a "Memorandum of Offer which I believe was picked up in Newsday, on the Islander website, and on IPB. It stated that Wang was interested in getting offers to purchase a majority ownership up to 75% and that Wang would hold the 25% balance which could be purchased incrementally over a 5 year period. The document revealed some other information such as last years ticket revenue ($22MM) and other interesting items. Wang denied that the team was sold or even that he had an interested party that he was negotiating with and This is fact.
I do not know any of the other posters who claim to have knowledge of negotiations or a sale. I was told around May that the deal was done and that Barroway owned the team 100% for the full price of $400MM, and they were waiting for either the end of conference finals or SCF to announce this.
But also, we have people who claim to know that there is no sale at all, or even negotiations (Gallof). So a reasonable question is, how does he know that for certain? Is his method of deduction lack of affirmation of a sale? In other words, Gallof as no direct knowledge either way, but because there is no announcement he is saying there is no sale and never was. In the realm of possibilities he could be right or wrong, we (myself and the source) could be right or wrong. Only Barroway (quoted as "I can't talk about it yet") and Wang know for sure, along with their trusted advisors.
So here we sit, putting deadlines on when we can dismiss this story as untrue, or waiting hopefully for it to be true.
As for myself, I am now 50/50 and just do not know what to think about it. I trust the source as not a clown or practical jokester, a scam artist, or a young kid trying to create an internet buzz to drive everyone nuts. He is a serious guy in his early 40's with a family and was a STH for a number of years. I asked if this information was BS and who it came from and was told that it was a very close friend, formerly college roommate and best man at his wedding. He is a supposed to be a minority investor who is in the sports agency business but not the NHL, and he already is a minority owner of an NBA team. Between that and the early information being somewhat supported (Philly lawyer, name Barroway, the majority stake, the sell price) and all matched up.
I do not want to try and make a case for this and inflame hopes any more than already has happened, so I will say that the source has shut down after telling that Barroway was really annoyed at the leaks and made all the investors sign a Non-Disclosure Agreement. Since then...nothing.

So that is the full Monte. I expected to get hammered if this didn't go down but I wanted to share some good news with my fellow Islander fans which looked to have legs. This is not any excuse if it doesn't turn out good, just a full explanation which I think I owe everyone.

Don't worry Bill, seeing the names Cronin and Corkum from "Recycle U" set a panic off. So it's easy to jump to a conclusion that nothing will happen.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
IF it's truly done, it'll be announced at the draft (JUST a guess).

The draft just doesn't seem like the appropriate place - it's about the players, especially those coming into the NHL.

However, the draft is in PHILLY and if Barroway is the guy, well, ok. However, I am still of the belief this is a press conference thing in front of BC.

BroadwayJay*

The draft just doesn't seem like the appropriate place - it's about the players, especially those coming into the NHL.

However, the draft is in PHILLY and if Barroway is the guy, well, ok. However, I am still of the belief this is a press conference thing in front of BC.

Pretty clearly that is the right move. The optics are perfect if you're selling BK's new team and it is a new day, etc...

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
I know RickeyRed39 cousin over 10 years through lots a of internet conversations about politics and hockey talk. Never knew hms to be a BS artist, just the opposite, a straight arrow.

Here is what I fear: We were told recently that there were a lot of investors that Barroway put together, not just a few. I do not know how many "a lot is" and when we asked, did not get an answer. I worry that one ore more of the larger investors pulled out before they committed their funds.
IMO, Barroway being a hedge fund operator, that is how they do things.
Put out a prospectus and business plan to their list of wealthy investors and raise a fund to make the buy, so having a lot of investors is not surprising. But if even one substantial investor pulled out this could be on hold or DOA.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
I know RickeyRed39 cousin over 10 years through lots a of internet conversations about politics and hockey talk. Never knew hms to be a BS artist, just the opposite, a straight arrow.

Here is what I fear: We were told recently that there were a lot of investors that Barroway put together, not just a few. I do not know how many "a lot is" and when we asked, did not get an answer. I worry that one ore more of the larger investors pulled out before they committed their funds.
Put out a prospectus and business plan to their list of wealthy investors and raise a fund to make the buy, so having a lot of investors is not surprising. But if even one substantial investor pulled out this could be on hold or DOA.

BillD, I don't have a problem with your source reporting. At all. I do think you need to make clear what is just your speculation.

One of the things that distinguishes journalists from people who hear things from people they know is that journalists don't take it personally when a source is using him/her. I suppose it seems unlikely to you that your source might be duping you or duped themselves. Speculating on far-flung scenarios in order to maintain your belief in the source's credibility just doesn't make sense to anyone who doesn't share your relationship with your source.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
BillD, I don't have a problem with your source reporting. At all. I do think you need to make clear what is just your speculation.

One of the things that distinguishes journalists from people who hear things from people they know is that journalists don't take it personally when a source is using him/her. I suppose it seems unlikely to you that your source might be duping you or duped themselves. Speculating on far-flung scenarios in order to maintain your belief in the source's credibility just doesn't make sense to anyone who doesn't share your relationship with your source.
Agree. While no real harm is done, I would not want to associate myself with something shady and there is always the risk that rumors and "inside secrets" can turn out to be just that.
I still have hope we get a new owner and fast. I think most of us agree that this team will go just so far with Wang as owner. As a fan since 1974, I have seen the mountain and the depths, and I'm damn tired of the depths. Time to get back in the game, back on top with JT leading the way. Best Islander offensive player since Palffy for us.

Isles Fan

Sep 12, 2006

So let me understand this....for weeks you have been posting, quite confidently, that your info was solid. Now we come to find out it is really the Ferris Bueller method. Someone you do not know directly, who is supposedly in the sports agency business but has no ties to the NHL and may be a minority stake holder in an NBA team? The thought never crossed your mind that the info you were getting, third or maybe even fourth party, might not be credible enough to keep to yourself? Just because your source was in their 40's, a former STH with a family somehow exempts them from creating an internet buzz? Please understand I am not trying to be an ass here just trying to understand your thought process.

You do realize that everything you said regarding Gallof and his info can also be said about you and yours....right?

This is why it really does nobody any good to post anything, with as much importance as this, until it is official. Discuss it? sure, but to start quoting unnamed sources and trying to make others think they have inside info benefits no one.

What it all boils down to is someone wants to be the one to say "You heard it from me first" and collect whatever accolades they feel they deserve. The ego is an amazing thing.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Agree. While no real harm is done, I would not want to associate myself with something shady and there is always the risk that rumors and "inside secrets" can turn out to be just that.
I still have hope we get a new owner and fast. I think most of us agree that this team will go just so far with Wang as owner. As a fan since 1974, I have seen the mountain and the depths, and I'm damn tired of the depths. Time to get back in the game, back on top with JT leading the way. Best Islander offensive player since Palffy for us.

I'm one year behind you Bill, became an Islander's fan in 1975. And you're right, JT is the best Islander's offensive player since Palffy, and speaking of Palffy, wasn't he a joy to watch ? What a good player, and plus he was goofy too, which made for good interviews. Loved the guy. As far as homegrown offensive players (drafted by the islanders), we've only had 3 good ones since 1983 (Lafontaine, Palffy and Tavares), how sad is that ?

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
I'm one year behind you Bill, became an Islander's fan in 1975. And you're right, JT is the best Islander's offensive player since Palffy, and speaking of Palffy, wasn't he a joy to watch ? What a good player, and plus he was goofy too, which made for good interviews. Loved the guy. As far as homegrown offensive players (drafted by the islanders), we've only had 3 since 1983 (Lafontaine, Palffy and Tavares), how sad is that ?

What about Okposo he had a good yr

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
So let me understand this....for weeks you have been posting, quite confidently, that your info was solid. Now we come to find out it is really the Ferris Bueller method. Someone you do not know directly, who is supposedly in the sports agency business but has no ties to the NHL and may be a minority stake holder in an NBA team? The thought never crossed your mind that the info you were getting, third or maybe even fourth party, might not be credible enough to keep to yourself? Just because your source was in their 40's, a former STH with a family somehow exempts them from creating an internet buzz? Please understand I am not trying to be an ass here just trying to understand your thought process.

You do realize that everything you said regarding Gallof and his info can also be said about you and yours....right?

This is why it really does nobody any good to post anything, with as much importance as this, until it is official. Discuss it? sure, but to start quoting unnamed sources and trying to make others think they have inside info benefits no one.

What it all boils down to is someone wants to be the one to say "You heard it from me first" and collect whatever accolades they feel they deserve. The ego is an amazing thing.
Sure, of course, and that is what Gallof said. I am flipping it the other way as it does work both ways. Gallof speaks with great conviction that there is no deal. Just the other side of the coin, he doesn't know for a certainty so it can go either way. Like I said, only Wang and Barroway and their advisors know for certain. That was my point.

Nelly

Jul 22, 2011

IMO: I think it's a done deal. Just because nothing is signed today doesn't mean ownership won't change sometime this offseason. No one should ignore you, bash you, nor think you're full of it.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

I would much rather that an investor pulled out than wang pulled out. There's other investors. If wang doesn't want to sell then it doesn't matter who those other investors are.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
I would much rather that an investor pulled out than wang pulled out. There's other investors. If wang doesn't want to sell then it doesn't matter who those other investors are.
Wang pulling out is a nightmare scenario. What would be his motivation after getting his price. He suddenly decides he "loves the Islanders" and doesn't want to let them go? He sees a pot of gold at the end of the BC?
If he could pull out of a deal it would be because he had a better deal.
Wang in not that engaged in the team he has said he regrets buying and would not do it again if he had the chance. He is out a significant amount of money, even for someone in his wealth class.
If he in fact pulled out there will be another buyer willing to pay a lot more and for no other reason.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL

I was (and still am) a skeptic. But kudos for you for manning up! For the record I think you're telling the truth...but after a few games of phone the message gets scrambled and who knows how accurate the sources are beyond your control. As a teacher I've had rumors circulate some of my periods about an instance that happened in a different period and they're completely wrong (I know this 100%). But the kids heard it from somebody who heard it from somebody who was there.

The other posters I'm not so sure about, but I never really doubted your integrity, just the information.

edit: Oh and you owe us nothing. So don't think that you do!

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
If there was an elephant behind a tree and you could not see him, how would you know he's there?

Who's getting upset? I am not the least bit upset. like my OP stated I find it amusing at this point.

Just because rumors fly doesn't make it a story.

brother, you are not the only one looking. someone with a better sightline, can see it. just because you can't, does not make it disappear.

anyway, you are not getting upset. cool. not worth it :)

Zarley Z

Aug 2, 2005
Hey guys, I'm mostly a lurker around these parts, but I follow the boards pretty closely. I was served a tidbit of "information" this past Sunday from someone whom I trust and has some ties with people seemingly in the know. I'm only passing it along for the sake of discussion, and also because I'm curious if what I was told sounds like something that's even feasible to the rest of you. I couldn't care less if this turns out to be right or wrong, so I'm not here for kicks or I told you so's, and I thought at the very least it would be interesting to toss around.

With the disclaimer out of the way, here goes: Supposedly an agreement between Wang and Barroway has been reached like people have been claiming, but there's an interesting extra he mentioned that I haven't heard or seen floating around the internet yet. He claims that a deal is in place, but there's a condition that Wang is still able to field offers from anyone who could beat the deal he has with Barroway, but he would allow Barroway the opportunity to match/beat any of these potential offers that might come Wang's way. One would have to assume there's some kind of deadline associated with this sort of agreement where Barroway would officially get the team if no other suitors step up by a certain time, but if so, I wasn't told when that would be.

Upon hearing it, I was pretty skeptical, and wondered why Barroway would even agree to something like that, but he was fairly insistent so I just said "fair enough." With all the uncertainty floating around recently though, I thought maybe there's a chance there could be something to this, as it might explain why there's conflicting rumors and claims getting tossed around. "There's a deal." "There's no deal," "There's a deal but we're waiting for an announcement," etc. Maybe this is why there's a holdup.

So having said all that, does this even sound like something that would make sense? I have no insight as to how sales such as these can play out, and I also imagine anything is possible with Charles Wang involved. So what do you all think? Is it possible Wang and Barroway shook hands but agreed to give Wang some time to take better offers?

ichabod13

Oct 5, 2010
Baltimore Maryland
i dont think that would make too much sense on barroways part. it would allow his investors time to back out. and if any of his investors caught wind of another groups deal, and it sounded better, they could back out of his group and join the other group, and that would solidify their offer and leave him high and dry.
it would suck for him to do all the leg work only to get left on the outside looking in.

so, just basing it on that reason alone, id say "no, there was no such agreement."

lorwood

Nov 3, 2008
I think most of this thread is Poppycock!

We have to keep the only meaningful part of this discussion going :help:

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
Hey guys, I'm mostly a lurker around these parts, but I follow the boards pretty closely. I was served a tidbit of "information" this past Sunday from someone whom I trust and has some ties with people seemingly in the know. I'm only passing it along for the sake of discussion, and also because I'm curious if what I was told sounds like something that's even feasible to the rest of you. I couldn't care less if this turns out to be right or wrong, so I'm not here for kicks or I told you so's, and I thought at the very least it would be interesting to toss around.

With the disclaimer out of the way, here goes: Supposedly an agreement between Wang and Barroway has been reached like people have been claiming, but there's an interesting extra he mentioned that I haven't heard or seen floating around the internet yet. He claims that a deal is in place, but there's a condition that Wang is still able to field offers from anyone who could beat the deal he has with Barroway, but he would allow Barroway the opportunity to match/beat any of these potential offers that might come Wang's way. One would have to assume there's some kind of deadline associated with this sort of agreement where Barroway would officially get the team if no other suitors step up by a certain time, but if so, I wasn't told when that would be.

Upon hearing it, I was pretty skeptical, and wondered why Barroway would even agree to something like that, but he was fairly insistent so I just said "fair enough." With all the uncertainty floating around recently though, I thought maybe there's a chance there could be something to this, as it might explain why there's conflicting rumors and claims getting tossed around. "There's a deal." "There's no deal," "There's a deal but we're waiting for an announcement," etc. Maybe this is why there's a holdup.

So having said all that, does this even sound like something that would make sense? I have no insight as to how sales such as these can play out, and I also imagine anything is possible with Charles Wang involved. So what do you all think? Is it possible Wang and Barroway shook hands but agreed to give Wang some time to take better offers?
I believe that this variation was already stated by a media source, either Botta, IPB, or another. I know that I have heard it recently, and during bargaining negotiations, when an agreement in principle is still awaiting due diligence by attorney's and tax lawyers, the seller can still entertain better offers.
So short answer, it has been written about and could have happened, but all that would mean is a buyer other than Barroway. We still get rid of Wang the Terrible which is what we all want.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad