Speculation: NY Islanders Sale Talk ONLY Part III *Barroway out Post 652*

Status
Not open for further replies.

IslesFanatic

Thank you, Lou!
Jun 7, 2006
I believe BillD has a source. I believe that lots of people have the same source. There's too many people going on in the same way. However, I don't have any reason to believe that this source isn't releasing information to suit their interests (perhaps trying to leverage the fans and media against Wang?).

BTW, just because Wang involves his kid in all these drafts/functions doesn't make it classy or right to make fun of the kid. It's pretty low, actually. I'm also sick of the Mao/Wang references just because the guy is of Chinese descent. Chances are you're mocking him with something him and his family fled from. That's screwed up, and seriously trashy.

I had same info Dan-o. I wonder if we all had the same source(s) that were speaking to each other. Like same exact info.:shakehead

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Please play nice, and remember: Do not post any messages that harass, insult (name calling), belittle, threaten or mock other members. Debates are fine, but critique the opinion, not the person.

As a reminder.

No further shenanigans will be tolerated in this thread. Continue with the personal attacks, you'll be booted from the thread and will receive an Infraction (or multiple). If you can't show your fellow members any respect, then you have no business being on here and will be removed involuntarily.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Nice work PW.

You get points for using the word "shenanigans"...

Woefully underused.

Isles Fan

Sep 12, 2006
While I still think a sale may be possible, I reiterate what I have said since day one, and caught heaps of gruff for it I might add:

There is no story until there is a story.

I do find it amusing to see that is sinking in now with some people.

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
While I still think a sale may be possible, I reiterate what I have said since day one, and caught heaps of gruff for it I might add:

There is no story until there is a story.

I do find it amusing to see that is sinking in now with some people.

i kinda like the story of you insisting that there is no story, lol.

because there is no credible source, does not mean the story does not have truth to it. it's like saying that the elephant behind the tree is not there, because we can not see him.

get all excited if you want, at the possibility. state that there is no proof, if you want. but i don't see the point in getting upset about anything here. of course, if you want to, no one can stop you.

IslesFanatic

Thank you, Lou!
Jun 7, 2006
Still think it gets done. Its the sale of a mulit million dollar sports franchise. Its not a sale of a car. I cant imagine how much buill**** they have to go through and agree upon. Still think it gets done in the next couple of months.

MartyC

Jul 15, 2013
:handclap:
I believe BillD has a source. I believe that lots of people have the same source. There's too many people going on in the same way. However, I don't have any reason to believe that this source isn't releasing information to suit their interests (perhaps trying to leverage the fans and media against Wang?).

BTW, just because Wang involves his kid in all these drafts/functions doesn't make it classy or right to make fun of the kid. It's pretty low, actually. I'm also sick of the Mao/Wang references just because the guy is of Chinese descent. Chances are you're mocking him with something him and his family fled from. That's screwed up, and seriously trashy.

Isles Fan

Sep 12, 2006
i kinda like the story of you insisting that there is no story, lol.

because there is no credible source, does not mean the story does not have truth to it. it's like saying that the elephant behind the tree is not there, because we can not see him.

get all excited if you want, at the possibility. state that there is no proof, if you want. but i don't see the point in getting upset about anything here. of course, if you want to, no one can stop you.

If there was an elephant behind a tree and you could not see him, how would you know he's there?

Who's getting upset? I am not the least bit upset. like my OP stated I find it amusing at this point.

Just because rumors fly doesn't make it a story.

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
I view the likelihood of a sale the same way I've come to view everything this franchise does.

There are probably people at the table trying to get things done with a wealthy, powerful man who rose to his level of success through out of the box thinking, questionable directives and tactics of which the legality has been questioned heavily.

In Pagan Rome, if Tiberius sent you a dagger and tole you to kill yourself for Rome, you couldn't really say no, regardless of how an advanced case of syphilis drove him nuts - Tiberius was the emperor, and was beyond veto.

Or maybe I'm just too conditioned to assume Wang couldn't make a pot of coffee come out right without some kind of oversight committee. :sarcasm:

BroadwayJay*

I view the likelihood of a sale the same way I've come to view everything this franchise does.

There are probably people at the table trying to get things done with a wealthy, powerful man who rose to his level of success through out of the box thinking, questionable directives and tactics of which the legality has been questioned heavily.

In Pagan Rome, if Tiberius sent you a dagger and tole you to kill yourself for Rome, you couldn't really say no, regardless of how an advanced case of syphilis drove him nuts - Tiberius was the emperor, and was beyond veto.

Or maybe I'm just too conditioned to assume Wang couldn't make a pot of coffee come out right without some kind of oversight committee. :sarcasm:

Let us not disparage Tiberius too much, he did avoid significant military campaigns and left the Imperial coffers in better shape than he found it.

He also never pinched sesterces (unlike an Emperor Wang that we know...)

Joking aside, I love outside the box thinking. Just because everyone is doing it, doesn't make it right.

However, I wouldn't consider our ownership's policies to be outside the box in a good way. More like, inside the budget... and nothing more.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
Utter tomfoolery. I prithee that we have not been in someway hoodwinked or bamboozled or the like.

:sarcasm:

Sorry, couldn't resist

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I still think it's too early. I think days before the draft is realistic.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
As most know, I was the one, or among the first to start this topic by inferring Wang was talking to a potential buyer about selling a majority of the team. I was told he was a lawyer from Philly. Shortly after I asked the name of the guy because I live around Philly, and was given the name Andrew Barroway. I was told the deal was close, 80% done. I kept that to myself and didn't post it. That was back in December, and I own that and am not running from it.
By late December the rumor of the negotiations were starting to fly around the internet mainly due to a guy on another message board posting the information. He is the guy who has the inside contact and who passed it to me, only I never knew until recently that he was posting this on the other board.
Shortly after Wang was reported to be furious at the leak of this information/rumor, and he issued a document he called a "Memorandum of Offer which I believe was picked up in Newsday, on the Islander website, and on IPB. It stated that Wang was interested in getting offers to purchase a majority ownership up to 75% and that Wang would hold the 25% balance which could be purchased incrementally over a 5 year period. The document revealed some other information such as last years ticket revenue ($22MM) and other interesting items. Wang denied that the team was sold or even that he had an interested party that he was negotiating with and This is fact.
I do not know any of the other posters who claim to have knowledge of negotiations or a sale. I was told around May that the deal was done and that Barroway owned the team 100% for the full price of $400MM, and they were waiting for either the end of conference finals or SCF to announce this.
Both have come and gone and so far no announcement.
But also, we have people who claim to know that there is no sale at all, or even negotiations (Gallof). So a reasonable question is, how does he know that for certain? Is his method of deduction lack of affirmation of a sale? In other words, Gallof as no direct knowledge either way, but because there is no announcement he is saying there is no sale and never was. In the realm of possibilities he could be right or wrong, we (myself and the source) could be right or wrong. Only Barroway (quoted as "I can't talk about it yet") and Wang know for sure, along with their trusted advisors.
So here we sit, putting deadlines on when we can dismiss this story as untrue, or waiting hopefully for it to be true.
As for myself, I am now 50/50 and just do not know what to think about it. I trust the source as not a clown or practical jokester, a scam artist, or a young kid trying to create an internet buzz to drive everyone nuts. He is a serious guy in his early 40's with a family and was a STH for a number of years. I asked if this information was BS and who it came from and was told that it was a very close friend, formerly college roommate and best man at his wedding. He is a supposed to be a minority investor who is in the sports agency business but not the NHL, and he already is a minority owner of an NBA team. Between that and the early information being somewhat supported (Philly lawyer, name Barroway, the majority stake, the sell price) and all matched up.
I do not want to try and make a case for this and inflame hopes any more than already has happened, so I will say that the source has shut down after telling that Barroway was really annoyed at the leaks and made all the investors sign a Non-Disclosure Agreement. Since then...nothing.

So that is the full Monte. I expected to get hammered if this didn't go down but I wanted to share some good news with my fellow Islander fans which looked to have legs. This is not any excuse if it doesn't turn out good, just a full explanation which I think I owe everyone.

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
Let us not disparage Tiberius too much, he did avoid significant military campaigns and left the Imperial coffers in better shape than he found it.

He also never pinched sesterces (unlike an Emperor Wang that we know...)

Joking aside, I love outside the box thinking. Just because everyone is doing it, doesn't make it right.

However, I wouldn't consider our ownership's policies to be outside the box in a good way. More like, inside the budget... and nothing more.

Touché! :laugh:

To the bolded though, something changed with Wang when Milbury left. Simply put, the excesses from Wang and Milbury (Yashin + the DP contract being handled by Wang was a measure of Snow's ascension) are biting us all in the rear. He obviously knows how to run a business, but it's not like his practices/ethics haven't been questionable more than once. (I think someone said at one point it was speculated that upper management at CA was barred from using internal email during his tenure?)

Long and short, I'd be more surprised if the rumors were totally false than partially true while a certain someone isn't being easy to negotiate with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad