GDT: NXT Takeover Phoenix (26th January 2019)

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I'll say it once and I'll say it again.

Not only does NXT have the best storytelling in wrestling but Gargano/Ciampa is the best long term storytelling...potentially of our lifetime.

I wasn't able to watch with HF but when Ciampa went to tear away the same floor mat as Gargano did, I felt HF's heart glow. The storytelling is so amazing and it's not in your face storytelling (example: Natty's dad's glasses) but it's so subtle that you cannot help but try to find the easter eggs within the wrestler's outfits they are wearing (superhero driven) to the moves they do as callbacks.

Bleh I could rave about NXT for probably 24 hours straight. It makes me so proud to be a fan of this stuff only to have Drake piss himself the next night. :laugh:

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
I'll say it once and I'll say it again.

Not only does NXT have the best storytelling in wrestling but Gargano/Ciampa is the best long term storytelling...potentially of our lifetime.

And this isn't even mentioning the Dream and Black character/relationship which is fantastic in its own right.

Yes I quoted myself.

I wasn't able to watch with HF but when Ciampa went to tear away the same floor mat as Gargano did, I felt HF's heart glow. The storytelling is so amazing and it's not in your face storytelling (example: Natty's dad's glasses) but it's so subtle that you cannot help but try to find the easter eggs within the wrestler's outfits they are wearing (superhero driven) to the moves they do as callbacks.

Bleh I could rave about NXT for probably 24 hours straight. It makes me so proud to be a fan of this stuff only to have Drake piss himself the next night. :laugh:

100%

Not gonna lie though. I briefly thought you meant Drake the rapper and I thought I'd missed a huge story. Kinda disappointed..

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I hope Triple H intentionally prolongs Ciampa/Gargano so if Vince ever has the idea of calling them up, Triple H can say "these are my boys for NXT, they're still in their story, we can't cut it short" to save them from 205 Live (as good as the wrestling on that show is, Gargano/Ciampa need to be on the SD/Raw spotlight).

Whether the story ends at Takeover in April (not likely), Takeover before Summerslam, Takeover before Survivor Series, or even one year from now, it's going to go down as one of, if not the greatest long-term storyline in professional wrestling history.

They had nothing, then they were a team, then they had their battle as teammates in the CW Classic, then Ciampa destroyed Gargano, then they fought in wars with Johnny's wife getting involved, then Ciampa somehow got control of Johnny's mindset and is egging him on to do things Johnny ordinarily wouldn't do while Johnny is battling his inner conflict between his relationship with Ciampa, the fans and his wife and trying to do what's right... or is he luring Ciampa into a false sense of security? That glare at the NXT Title last night when the show faded to black said A LOT in that one second before the cameras faded. Johnny knows what he wants, he knows who's holding it, he's not COMPLETELY gone yet and a lost cause, but how much longer can he go against what he truly believes in before he finally breaks and is a lost cause for good?

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
dl4181xd8xc21.jpg

Like I said during Gargano vs. Ricochet, Johnny's facial expressions tell stories themselves and this one tells a HUGE one. It was literally, one, two seconds tops before the show faded to black and this was the last image.

He's not completely corrupted and gone yet.

Johnny's character as is? Where he feels he's still the good guy and is still in the right? In his mind, luring Ciampa into a false sense of security like he is even if it means throwing away relationships and resorting to tactics he's been using recently is still him doing right because the end goal is to destroy Ciampa once and for all.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
also, Armageddon Hell in a Cell for the WM Takeover, anyone?

Ciampa/Gargano/Black/Cole/Dream/Ricochet
Women's title
War Raiders/UE gimmick (2-out-of-3-falls, and maybe KOR and Fish instead?)
Riddle or Keith Lee match

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
I couldn't watch the show live but caught the replay later. Thought it was excellent, maybe a little weaker than most takeovers but only slightly. Johnny's match was the best as usual. Glad to see Belair get over. Tag match was great. Where do UE go from here? Main roster?

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
also, Armageddon Hell in a Cell for the WM Takeover, anyone?

Ciampa/Gargano/Black/Cole/Dream/Ricochet
Women's title
War Raiders/UE gimmick (2-out-of-3-falls, and maybe KOR and Fish instead?)
Riddle or Keith Lee match
If they go with O'Reilly/Fish, I'd love to see Strong vs Riddle.

That main event would be crazy good.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I was rewatching some of last night and it’s kinda nuts how great some of these entrances are. That’s Regal at work. Imagine Ciampa or Ricochet or Black or Dream coming out to that music and not being like the biggest star on the show. Gargano and Shayna have great ones too and have been great for a while. Even ones I’ve grown to like more than I did when they started like Undisputed Era.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Just like the Takeover shows...there's basically never a bad Gargano match. Really fun tag match and loved the finish to the main event.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
I’ve been listening to WWE themes lately and it’s atop my list.

Love Corbin’s. Gargano’s too

Not a big fan of Corbin's but also like Garganos. Dream and Black are also common in my playlist. NXT has been the source of some incredible music over the years

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
My top themes I listen to are Undisputed Era, Gargano, HHH, Balor, Black, Corbin, Sheamus and Rollins lately.

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
...umm.... my favorite song is Ziggler by far.
i prefer songs with words in general.
trying to convince people to do a Wrestling covers band with me.
unsuccessfully, cuz people around me dont like wrestling... :(

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Curious how @Brodeur did with his friend at this show, especially considering the gravity of the close of the show

Fun times, although I was a little burnt out by the end. I thought the match order was a little curious. I would have bet money that Riddle/Ohno would open the show as the tag match was a hard act to follow. I certainly would not have put the women's match after Ricochet/Gargano.

Unfortunately we missed the tail end of the backstage melee. I was telling my buddy how NXT typically sets up another angle at the close of the show, almost like a Marvel mid-credits scene. After Gargano came out, we started making our way up the exit but Dream's music hit. We stuck around for the beginning of the brawl but left once it went backstage. Unfortunately we didn't stick around for the curtain call. Buddy seemed to enjoy it, even without Dream wrestling my buddy was instantly a fan based on the in house reaction. Atmosphere was pretty good although several upper deck sections were tarped off. For WarGames they were able to sell more seats.

51059132_10106422858182544_7241660322455486464_n.jpg

During the pre-show, somebody behind me yelled out "Who wears short shorts?" and I yelled out "Pat wears short shorts" which got a reaction from him.

50751065_10106422858417074_1758344960848953344_n.jpg

I'm glad I procrastinated on seats. Got decent ones a few nights before as I can only assume they had reserved them for friends/family and they went unclaimed.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Just like the Takeover shows...there's basically never a bad Gargano match. Really fun tag match and loved the finish to the main event.
I don't have many 5 Star matches. Gargano is in 3 or 4 of them.

My 5 favourite NA matches of all-time, without my bias of Christian winning the World Title against Del Rio, are;

Johnny Gargano v. Ricochet
(Takeover: Phoenix)

Bret Hart v. Owen Hart
(Wrestlemania X)

#DIY v. The Revival
(Takeover: Toronto)

Psicosis v. Rey Mysterio Jr
(Bash at the Beach 96)

Mr. Perfect v. Bret Hart
(King of the Ring 93)

Reactions: DaaaaB's

Ad