GDT: NXT Takeover Phoenix (26th January 2019)

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Welcome to NXT: Takeover Phoenix, the “equally stacked” PPV!

FINAL_PICK_REV_fin--dac357bf6d2dc37a1ff8dfddfbea6487.jpg

NXT Championship - Singles Match
20181205_NXTtakeover_WarGames_Ciampa_Aleister--9892c10389e5f62cb512fed8c9380825.jpg

Tommaso Ciampa (c) vs Aleister Black

NXT Women’s Championship - Singles Match
20181220_NXTtakeover_WarGames_BaszlerBelair--c9d9aa0a5a0d64c694c15b1741df9ed0.jpg

Shayna Baszler (c) vs Bianca Belair

NXT Tag Team Championship - Tag Team Match
20190107_NXTtakeover_Phoenix_UndisputedERA_WarRaiders--f2116bc94af89526c6f75cfcabb3d277.jpg

Undisputed Era (Kyle O’Reilly & Roderick Strong) (c) vs War Raiders (Hanson & Rowe)

WWE North American Championship - Singles Match
20190120_NXTtakeover_Phoenix_RichochetGargano--d5f5fe6ebfdcbe39e28b174f343c80db.jpg

Ricochet (c) vs Johnny Gargano

Singles Match
20190115_NXTtakeover_Phoenix_Riddle_Ohno--dc909e1581f7728f031ba37bcbc31ec1.jpg

Matt Riddle vs Kassius Ohno

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
This feels like one of the weakest Takeover cards I've seen in awhile. Just me?

Having said that. Both Ricochet vs Gargano and Black vs Ciampa should hit 4.5 stars

Reactions: CHGoalie27

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
This feels like one of the weakest Takeover cards I've seen in awhile. Just me?

Having said that. Both Ricochet vs Gargano and Black vs Ciampa should hit 4.5 stars

I think it’s strong.

Both Ricochet/Gargano and Black/Ciampa have 5 star potential.

U/E will do their thing with WR.

And Riddle/Ohno blowoff should be a good opener.

I’m a little worried about Belair and Shayna match

Reactions: Clint Eastwood

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
It's an extremely strong card, definitely not a down one at all.

The women's match is the weak link, but that's aways going to be the case with Shayna as champion. She's good, but she's not elite; nor is her challenger this time. But it's not like it'll be a terrible match or anything. Certainly not enough to drag the card down by any amount.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

offkilter

Jan 18, 2014
I find it humorous people are calling this a weak card with matches like Ciampa VS Black and Riccochet VS Gargano on the shedule.

Those will be great, but the match I think everyone will be talking about will be UE VS War Raiders. Both teams can go and pull out all the stops.

I do agree that the weakest match is the women's match, but like it was said it won't be a terrible match at least. I do believe this will be Shayna Baszler's last match in NXT and will drop the title to Bianca before being called up to the main roster. Bianca could use the time in the spotlight and let her charisma shine.

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island
I think there's a few things hurting the card (so I'm sure it'll just exceed my expectations).

The big one is, that as much as I enjoyed the match, Wargames sort of got in the way of long term stories. War Raiders attacked UE in Brooklyn, half a year ago. And now this doesn't feel as big, cause they already fought in Wargames.

Too many of the matches seem predictable (does anyone think Riddle and Ciampa are losing?). I think predictable matches can still be great, but it does hurt it.

And a bit random, but it's the first card since Brooklyn 3 without a gimmick match.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I think it’s strong.

Both Ricochet/Gargano and Black/Ciampa have 5 star potential.

U/E will do their thing with WR.

And Riddle/Ohno blowoff should be a good opener.

I’m a little worried about Belair and Shayna match
Any match between any men on the roster in a takeover setting has potential for a 5-star match.

Can't quite say the same for the women right now, but the takeover crowd won't let women's matches die.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
not a big Belair fan tbh, but shes pretty good.

rest of the card looks great, though I really wish they had done a Cole/Dream mini-angle just to complete the awesomeness. I imagine Dream is gonna be in the Rumble tho

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
I think it's just the Women's match and the Riddle/Ohno matches that are in my head and dragging down the card for me. I'm really just over Ohno being the constant jobber for any new debut.

And yeah. Lack of Dream and Cole hurts

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
not a big Belair fan tbh, but shes pretty good.

rest of the card looks great, though I really wish they had done a Cole/Dream mini-angle just to complete the awesomeness. I imagine Dream is gonna be in the Rumble tho
I'm def a Belair guy and watching her streak end will add to the no Dream disappointment.

Watching him last night, if it werent for DiY, he'd be the whole f'n Show in my eyes

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I'm def a Belair guy and watching her streak end will add to the no Dream disappointment.

Watching him last night, if it werent for DiY, he'd be the whole f'n Show in my eyes
If it wasn't for DIY, he's probably be the top star on the brand anyways

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
If it wasn't for DIY, he's probably be the top star on the brand anyways
Well I would say so, I'm not goin around sayin he could've fit in the WWF because I'm looking to say that about someone LOL

He's got the perfect trifecta of ring skills, mic skills, and heavy marketability.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
I'm a fan of Belair but it seems early to make her the champ. Her losing this match and winning the title at the next takeover makes more sense to me. Then Shayna can move up but also make a final nxt appearance by losing a rematch on television.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I'm a fan of Belair but it seems early to make her the champ. Her losing this match and winning the title at the next takeover makes more sense to me. Then Shayna can move up but also make a final nxt appearance by losing a rematch on television.
I can see Shayna winning with some outside help, maybe.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

There's no rematch clauses anymore. ;)

If Shayna wins, I think they'll do a triple threat match next. Haven't seen those for the women's title much in recent years.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
I can see Shayna winning with some outside help, maybe.
That's probably the best option. Protects Bianca that way. I dont have a problem with Belair winning the title, I like her a lot more then Shayna. Just seems like they haven't built her up enough to be champ already.

I don't know maybe I'm wrong about that. She's been a regular for about a year and has a lot of wins. The whole women's division has just seemed so lackluster since Asuka left imo.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Heel DIY with all the gold after TakeOver here we come.

Remember there is the worlds collide tournament which both Dream and Cole are a part of. It sucks they miss TakeOver but the tournament is going to air as a special on the network.

Either way I think both guys end up as suprise entrants in the Rumble this year. I am 100% sure Dream will make an apperance, and 90% on Cole.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Heel DIY with all the gold after TakeOver here we come.

Remember there is the worlds collide tournament which both Dream and Cole are a part of. It sucks they miss TakeOver but the tournament is going to air as a special on the network.

Either way I think both guys end up as suprise entrants in the Rumble this year. I am 100% sure Dream will make an apperance, and 90% on Cole.
I actually thought we'd get DIY vs Dream and Black as a blow off match and either set up a big Fatal 4 way or the triple threat we should have got (with Black/Gargano/Ciampa) at the WM TakeOver

I wonder if Dream is gonna appear at the Rumble then, same with Cole or he runs interference during the tag match

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->