GDT: NXT TakeOver: Chicago (16th June 2018)

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
just finished

Tag Titles: 5
Dream/Ricochet: 4.5
Womens Title: 3.25
NXT Title: 3.5
Street Fight: 6

Reactions: ColePens

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I think its time for both to move on. They told an epic 1 year story and this is the perfect end with both of them being able to leave with their heat.

Johnny deserves a chance at the main roster. There isn't more you could ask from him in NXT. He basically came in as a jobber and turned into the biggest and best performer. Even if the main roster ruins him he at least deserves a chance and I am sure its what he has been working for when he did that temporary gig all those years ago.

Gargano has to get the title. We’ve seen call ups get sent up and Vince not know what to do because he has too many people. And he does. There’s no rush to get Gargano or Ciampa to the main roster. The title is ultimately what Ciampa has been keeping him from.

I have an idea in my head where they do a triple threat with Black in Brooklyn. I don’t like the idea of the title being semi-main for a third straight takeover, Black should get to be in a main event.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I should also add... Too many wrestlers. The NXT shows you're getting 5-7 matches and the performers could have anywhere for 15-30 minutes to tell the story that needs to be told. WWE PPV's you're getting 10-15 matches and guys are either getting their time cut or the show is going 4+ hours, which is WAY too long.

They honestly needed to cycle the roster for awhile now. Give the guys a month or two off per year. (Rotating) Keeps characters fresh and keeps the talent from burning out.

Seriously I don’t understand why they don’t have more of a rotation. You can still have guys wrestle at house shows just keep them off of TV.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Rewatched the show this morning. My final ratings;

O'Reilly & Strong v. Lorcan & Burch

Ricochet v. Dream

Baszler v. Cross
**1/2

Sullivan v. Black
***1/2

Gargano v. Ciampa

Notes

Dream & Cross did some really awesome character work throughout their performances. Really dug both of their work.

Exhaustion and crazy flips... AHHHHHH!

Sullivan impressed me. Burch impressed me.

Lorcan has a death wish, but he's so awesome.

Roddy is one of the best in the world. So smooth, so crisp. Being heel definitely suits him better. Makes him more charismatic.

Gargano and Ciampa are insane. And they're so very, very over. Crazy. Gargano may be the best in the world.

Good luck, MitB.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Seriously I don’t understand why they don’t have more of a rotation. You can still have guys wrestle at house shows just keep them off of TV.

I think they need to be off house shows too. There's no way those guys don't burn off. Seth said it when he got injured, and said Sami told him it would be great for him mentally. Punk obviously made comments about loving to have time off.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Rewatched the show this morning. My final ratings;

O'Reilly & Strong v. Lorcan & Burch

Ricochet v. Dream

Baszler v. Cross
**1/2

Sullivan v. Black
***1/2

Gargano v. Ciampa

Notes

Dream & Cross did some really awesome character work throughout their performances. Really dug both of their work.

Exhaustion and crazy flips... AHHHHHH!

Sullivan impressed me. Burch impressed me.

Lorcan has a death wish, but he's so awesome.

Roddy is one of the best in the world. So smooth, so crisp. Being heel definitely suits him better. Makes him more charismatic.

Gargano and Ciampa are insane. And they're so very, very over. Crazy. Gargano may be the best in the world.

Good luck, MitB.

I'm so happy you rated the tag match as high as you did. That match was crazy fast with great storytelling. I REALLY loved that match. I was on the edge of my seat the entire time.

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I think they need to be off house shows too. There's no way those guys don't burn off. Seth said it when he got injured, and said Sami told him it would be great for him mentally. Punk obviously made comments about loving to have time off.

I don’t disagree I was just saying at worst they should be at least off TV for storyline purposes and to make the tv product better.

Overall yeah I think they should get more time off.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I'm so happy you rated the tag match as high as you did. That match was crazy fast with great storytelling. I REALLY loved that match. I was on the edge of my seat the entire time.
It was my match of the night. Loved the main event but the Tag match blew me away. The last 5 or 6 minutes were pure fire.

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
That tag match was absolute fire, loved it. Those head butts looked brutal.

I’ve always been a big riccochet fan and that was a splendid match too. I like Velveteens Prince esque gimmick and I liked him in the ring. Not a fan of the Hogan impersonating though. I liked how Velveteen showed how he eventually couldn’t keep up with Riccochets athleticism good story telling.

Reactions: ColePens

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I would be fine if that was the end. They were already starting to get kept off TV because they were running out of things to do. Gargano lost because he lost control of himself, I don't know how you can come back from that.

But I've also never seen a hell in a cell live.
I suggested it before, but I think Ciampa/Gargano 3 will happen and it will be for the title and I think it will be Wrestlemania weekend. This will allow the loser to show up on the main roster on either the Raw or SDL after WM

I think for the title over the next while we see... we see Black vs Ciampa @ Brooklyn, with Ciampa winning. Followed by Ciampa having a successful defenses in LA and Phoenix over Black in a rematch and then Ricochet. Followed by Gargano winning the title WM weekend.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I suggested it before, but I think Ciampa/Gargano 3 will happen and it will be for the title and I think it will be Wrestlemania weekend. This will allow the loser to show up on the main roster on either the Raw or SDL after WM

I think for the title over the next while we see... we see Black vs Ciampa @ Brooklyn, with Ciampa winning. Followed by Ciampa having a successful defenses in LA and Phoenix over Black in a rematch and then Ricochet. Followed by Gargano winning the title WM weekend.

Next Wrestlemania is too far imo. You’re talking about a feud going on almost 2 years

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Gargano has to get the title. We’ve seen call ups get sent up and Vince not know what to do because he has too many people. And he does. There’s no rush to get Gargano or Ciampa to the main roster. The title is ultimately what Ciampa has been keeping him from.

I have an idea in my head where they do a triple threat with Black in Brooklyn. I don’t like the idea of the title being semi-main for a third straight takeover, Black should get to be in a main event.

It would be nice for Gargano to win the title but he has shown he doesn't really need it. 3rd 4th take over main event for JG without holding the title.

I am sure Vince will ruin Garganos main roster run but he deserves a shot. You never know he could become the next Bryan or Styles. Its what he has probably been working towards since he first stepped foot in NXT as a temporary guy. I just think he deserves the reward for all the amazing hard work he has put in in NXT.

Ciampa should move on. His heat is insane right now. Let both of them move on to something else. They will probably be in the WWE for many more years so there will be lots of chances for them to cross paths again in the future. Maybe on 205 live, or RAW or SDL.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
The final match should be a best out of 3 match with 3 different stipulations:

1st stip: tables match
2nd stip: street fight
3rd stip: last man standing

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Re watching Gargano/Ciampa and I think this maybe the greatest storytelling match in WWE history, especially that last 10 minutes or so.

What an amazing feud and storyline, played out over 1 year. It will be hard for anything to ever top it.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Maybe a stretcher match considering the use of stretchers and the desire to send the other to the hospital.

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
As someone who only watches nxt occasionally I feel like some good differences between nxt and the main roster is you get more time in all the matches, and there’s a bit more creativity.

Also I think a huuuge difference is commentary. Commentary in nxt actually helps assist the in ring story, it’s a billion times better than whatever nonsense the wwe has. I prefer a good heel commentary as much as anyone but guys like Jesse the body and the brain could be both a good heel and help tell the story and know when to back off. Nxt keep it simpler but it helps the matches so much.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Is there any better heel in wrestling right now than Ciampa? My god, this feud continues to somehow get better and better and these spots get crazier and crazier. This is going down as one of my all time favourite feuds

Gargano is such a natural baby face who you want to root for no matter what. Theres no better face/heel combo right now in the game. NXT doin' it right

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I really don’t get wrapped up too much in commentary unless it’s so far beyond bad, which on Raw is very often, but it doesn’t sink in until I listen back a review on raw

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad