GDT: NXT TakeOver: Chicago (16th June 2018)

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
So where was the ref the first two times Ciampa tapped?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Tag Titles - 4.75/5
Dream/Ricochet - 4.5/5
Women's - 3/5
Black/Sullivan - 3.5/5
Gargano/Ciampa 5/5

Reactions: ColePens

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
They got me. I legitimately thought Ciampa hurt himself on that table spot.

That was brutal. Amazing main event. Those guys put it all on the line and delivered a classic

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Ref got knocked down on the stage with the medical person when Johnny got the stretcher. And we all know breeze can knock down a red.

How to book 101
good call.

this was the right winner, by the way

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I would be fine if that was the end. They were already starting to get kept off TV because they were running out of things to do. Gargano lost because he lost control of himself, I don't know how you can come back from that.

But I've also never seen a hell in a cell live.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I'm actually sitting here in a silent room because I don't think the fibers of my being know how to consume this wrestling

Reactions: UnrealMachine

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I'm actually sitting here in a silent room because I don't think the fibers of my being know how to consume this wrestling

When people claim wrestling is dead.... this is one of the biggest boom periods i can think of amazing content everywhere

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
With Ciampa saying that nobody knew the truth about Gargano combined with that finish could they possibly be laying the grounds for a double turn? Just food for thought.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
With Ciampa saying that nobody knew the truth about Gargano combined with that finish could they possibly be laying the grounds for a double turn? Just food for thought.
Ciampa actually gets real heat, which is so precious these days

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Ref got knocked down on the stage with the medical person when Johnny got the stretcher. And we all know a breeze can knock down a ref.

How to book 101

Legend has it that when Shawn Michaels jobbed for Hogan his selling was inspired by watching tapes of Nick Patrick in WCW.

insta001-4.gif

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I hate what WWE has done to me in the sense that I hear that this show was amazing with three amazing matches, yet I have very little interest to actually seek it out since I didn't happen to watch it live.

that said.... I'll probably watch this instead of MITB tomorrow night when I get home from Montreal lol

Last edited:

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
I would be fine if that was the end. They were already starting to get kept off TV because they were running out of things to do. Gargano lost because he lost control of himself, I don't know how you can come back from that.

But I've also never seen a hell in a cell live.

I think its time for both to move on. They told an epic 1 year story and this is the perfect end with both of them being able to leave with their heat.

Johnny deserves a chance at the main roster. There isn't more you could ask from him in NXT. He basically came in as a jobber and turned into the biggest and best performer. Even if the main roster ruins him he at least deserves a chance and I am sure its what he has been working for when he did that temporary gig all those years ago.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I really don’t know anything about their storyline but I have now watched Ciampo/Gargano all of two times, New Orleans Takeover and tonight, and god damn it is great entertainment.

What is WWE’s justification for the different crowds? I don’t really mean that in an incredulous “I’m an angry and dissatisfied customer” way, but in a purely curious way. When Gargano was whipping Ciampo over the back with that belt the crowd was chanting “you deserve it!” at Ciampo. The crowd genuinely hates the heel and they genuinely love the baby face.

As Roman Reigns was taking his 3rd or 4th F5 from Brock Lesnar the crowd was chanting “this is awful” and giving the loudest cheers for beach balls. The crowd shots after tonight’s finish was fans with their jaws on the floor because of what they just saw. At the last WWE PPV the crowd shots after the finish was fans sprinting to the exits.

How does WWE explain this disparity not necessarily to the fans, but how do they explain it themselves? Is it the economics of the roster size? WWE with SD and Raw are simply too big to tell effective stories? Is it the target audience? They tone all the combativeness down for the more kid marketed main roster?

It can’t ONLY be because Triple H is running NXT and he is really smart. Vince isn’t a moron. Surely he wants the WWE crowds to respond as appropriately and enthusiastically and NXT crowds do because that makes for a better television product.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I really don’t know anything about their storyline but I have now watched Ciampo/Gargano all of two times, New Orleans Takeover and tonight, and god damn it is great entertainment.

What is WWE’s justification for the different crowds? I don’t really mean that in an incredulous “I’m an angry and dissatisfied customer” way, but in a purely curious way. When Gargano was whipping Ciampo over the back with that belt the crowd was chanting “you deserve it!” at Ciampo. The crowd genuinely hates the heel and they genuinely love the baby face.

As Roman Reigns was taking his 3rd or 4th F5 from Brock Lesnar the crowd was chanting “this is awful” and giving the loudest cheers for beach balls. The crowd shots after tonight’s finish was fans with their jaws on the floor because of what they just saw. At the last WWE PPV the crowd shots after the finish was fans sprinting to the exits.

How does WWE explain this disparity not necessarily to the fans, but how do they explain it themselves? Is it the economics of the roster size? WWE with SD and Raw are simply too big to tell effective stories? Is it the target audience? They tone all the combativeness down for the more kid marketed main roster?

It can’t ONLY be because Triple H is running NXT and he is really smart. Vince isn’t a moron. Surely he wants the WWE crowds to respond as appropriately and enthusiastically and NXT crowds do because that makes for a better television product.

Too many writers. Too much done with marketing and sponsors in mind rather than what makes sense.

... That and once again, I think the problem with the NXT system, (Which is not a problem for NXT at all, but rather the main roster) is that you watch the characters' evolution and development in NXT.

Put it this way, how many movies or TV shows or books are about the celebration AFTER reaching the destination and how many are about the journey itself. NXT is the journey, the WWE Main Roster is the destination. For example, you don't make Remember the Titans a two hour movie about the team's celebration after winning it all. You make it an hour and 50 minutes about their struggle to reach the summit and 10 minutes about the celebration when they get there.

In entertainment the money is in the journey. The destination is the final payoff, but it's short lived. That's part of the reason people like Balor and Bayley and Bobby Roode set the world on fire in NXT and flame out on the main roster. You want somebody who's super talented to make the main roster, but once they've reached their destination and you've seen the payoff, you begin to lose interest. It's also why the most successful NXT to main roster talents weren't exactly featured talents in NXT. You got to see their journey unfold in WWE rather than NXT, thus making them far more interesting. (See Braun, Elias, Alexa Bliss, and KO)

Unfortunately, once you reach the main roster, there is no destination, therefore there is no payoff, therefore there is no journey. Everybody just treads water. That's the consequences of playing hot potato with the title and giving it to guys like Jinder just to make some money in India while a guy like Rusev jobs out on a nightly basis. The company, with Roman Reigns in particular, has told fans they don't give a f*** what you think, they're gonna push who they want. So why should people bother rooting for anybody when the company pre-determines who's going to reach the summit?

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I should also add... Too many wrestlers. The NXT shows you're getting 5-7 matches and the performers could have anywhere for 15-30 minutes to tell the story that needs to be told. WWE PPV's you're getting 10-15 matches and guys are either getting their time cut or the show is going 4+ hours, which is WAY too long.

They honestly needed to cycle the roster for awhile now. Give the guys a month or two off per year. (Rotating) Keeps characters fresh and keeps the talent from burning out.

Reactions: PeterSidorkiewicz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad