WWE: NXT Part 6 -- The Dream has no memory of that

Status
Not open for further replies.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
im guessing control of merchandises also helps Indy wrestlers. not just certain percentage.

BC and YB just got into hot topic and there shirts are selling fine. But you don't think being on WWE shopzone gets you more sales then selling a few shirts at an indy show with 100-1000 people?

WWE also pushes their merch in huge stores like Walmart and target. And as a wrestler you don't need to hustle stores to carry your product, or design shirts, or worry about the guy making your shirts screwing you or them being crap quality.

Its a double edge sword. On one hand you have a corporate giant behind you pushing your merch on a huge internet store and in B&M stores but you take home less. On the other hand you can make more, control your costs, but you pay for everything. You order 10000 shirts and sell 1000, SOL on the other 9000 and you lost a ton of money. You think Walmart or Target is going to take your call to put your shirts nation wide?

I come back to Cena making 8 Mill this year. I am sure the majority of that was on Merch. Thats the WWE machine at work.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
There's one Cena for every generation. You can keep going back to him all you want, but there's only one per generation (except in extremely rare cases where you have an Austin and Rock at the same time).

WWE will also only put out merch if they want to. How long did it take Breezango to get some merch? The Usos after their heel turn? Zack Ryder was a big merch pusher and now his listings are bare. WWE will put our merch for you if they want to.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
And how have those ex-WWE guys done in TNA? Sandow really did them wonders... And using TNA as an example is a terrible idea. They were constantly lambasted for using ex-WWE guys.

Cody is a champion because he is a star. Sandow isn't a champion because he isn't a star. Being a star isn't connected to being in WWE, it's far more common for someone to be a star having never been part of WWE.

And why did Sandow go to TNA and get his little push there? If he was never in WWE does TNA even hire him. And Cody is a star because he was in WWE. If he never went to WWE would he be known at all?

Even the low card guys could leave WWE today and be put at the top of almost any promotion they walked into. I bet if Rusev quit today he would be pushed to the top in ROH or GFW.

Yes the upper tier of WWE pay isn't possible anywhere else, but that's not what we're talking about. It's idiotic to think about it as it's not a goal you can work toward.

What you need to understand is that in WWE there is no career progression path to work up. You don't join as a bottom tier guy and show your skill and get promoted a number of times and end up at the top. There is nothing at all you can do as a wrestler to move your self up the card into those super star spots with the seven figure guarantee.

So Cena came in as a top guy didn't work his way up? Rollins? Ambrose? Even Lesnar started in OVW and worked his way up. Bryan was fired once and came back and went from low card to mid card to main eventing a Wrestlemania. And thats not even taking into account post career progression. Joey Mercury worked in a tag team and now he is back stage. Same for Road Dog. Matt Bloom is 2nd in command in NXT.

Being talented doesn't get you opportunities. The fact that Jordan was chosen over Gable because the office like him should tell you everything but you seem gloss over it. It's the entire point I'm making. Being picked by Vince is the only factor that matters in a WWE career.

Vince picks Cass, Corbin, Reigns, Strowman, Jinder. He doesn't pick Zayn, Dorada, Itami, Gable. Hard work doesn't help.

Yet guys like Owens/Styles/Rollins/Ambrose have all held the main belts over the last year/2 years. Yes Vince's input is important but its not the only thing that matters. But its like that in any business you need the boss to approve of you. Even on indy's only the guys that the promoter thinks will put butts in seats get pushed and maybe they aren't always the most talented guys. *** Eli Drake is GFW champ.

Yes being talented does mean you'll stick around, and you will probably have a decent career. You'll made good money too. But you'll never make that top money without the WWE picking you for a big push, and Vince's whims are the single factor in all of it.

But you're not making more than being outside WWE. You're working a hell of a lot more with very little freedom, and it really isn't the best working environment.

So at that point, what did you gain? You take a big pay cut for for an 1-5+ year stay in NXT (Vince's whims for call ups too), then worker harder for more or less the same pay as before when you make the main roster.

Seems you like to rage against the corporate machine. Evil Vince and evil WWE. End of the day WWE is the biggest game in town and the place to make the most money and make your name the biggest. Even with evil Vince holding you down you can still make more and make your name bigger than anywhere else and you can parlay that into more money outside WWE or a backstage career in WWE.

For some staying outside the machine and making good enough money as their own boss and hustling 24/7 is what they would rather do. Doesn't change that if you go to WWE and become a superstar you are made in the wrestling business.

I bet you would of argued Styles is better off staying outside of the WWE 1.5 years ago and he could make a good living japan and indys and Vince would never chose him.

Here we are half way through his contract and he is a top star in the WWE and probably made more money than he would of outside WWE.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
There's one Cena for every generation. You can keep going back to him all you want, but there's only one per generation (except in extremely rare cases where you have an Austin and Rock at the same time).

WWE will also only put out merch if they want to. How long did it take Breezango to get some merch? The Usos after their heel turn? Zack Ryder was a big merch pusher and now his listings are bare. WWE will put our merch for you if they want to.

Reigns made 3.3, AJ 2.4 there are other guys making in the millions.

Well like any company they will decide whose merch gets sold and thats one of the downsides. But creating merch is not easy and its an investment. Like I said if you order 1000 shirts and only sell 10 of them you just took a big loss. The reach and power that ShopZone has is bigger than any thing someone selling their own merch has access to, same with WWE's ability to put merch in major B&M stores.

But working for a huge corporate giant puts you at their whims. Like I said its about the possibility. Not everyone will be Cena or Reigns. But the only chance you have at that is going to WWE. Not everyone is going to be the next RDJ or the next Rock making 60 Million a year but still tons of people flock to Hollywood. I am sure they could make decent money making their own movies and selling them and distributing them themselves no? But the only place to make the huge money is hollywood so people try and see if they can make it.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I bet you would of argued Styles is better off staying outside of the WWE 1.5 years ago and he could make a good living japan and indys and Vince would never chose him.

Here we are half way through his contract and he is a top star in the WWE and probably made more money than he would of outside WWE.

Considering WWE only offered him a $60k contract when he left TNA where he was making $400k, he wouldn't have been wrong to say Styles would be better off staying in the indies at that time.

It was Styles' NJPW run that got him the big bucks in WWE, but he was also making great money over in Japan and taking bookings whenever.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Coming from TNA has had a stigma within WWE as well. They're definitely, and probably rightfully seen as being a cut below ROH/NJPW. Bobby Roode has obviously been fine, but almost everyone else has come in a level below that. Galloway was in TNA but he was also running the UK indie scene which raised his stock more than being in TNA did.

It's obviously hurt Mike Kanellis.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
And why did Sandow go to TNA and get his little push there? If he was never in WWE does TNA even hire him. And Cody is a star because he was in WWE. If he never went to WWE would he be known at all?

Even the low card guys could leave WWE today and be put at the top of almost any promotion they walked into. I bet if Rusev quit today he would be pushed to the top in ROH or GFW.

So Cena came in as a top guy didn't work his way up? Rollins? Ambrose? Even Lesnar started in OVW and worked his way up. Bryan was fired once and came back and went from low card to mid card to main eventing a Wrestlemania. And thats not even taking into account post career progression. Joey Mercury worked in a tag team and now he is back stage. Same for Road Dog. Matt Bloom is 2nd in command in NXT.

Yet guys like Owens/Styles/Rollins/Ambrose have all held the main belts over the last year/2 years. Yes Vince's input is important but its not the only thing that matters. But its like that in any business you need the boss to approve of you. Even on indy's only the guys that the promoter thinks will put butts in seats get pushed and maybe they aren't always the most talented guys. *** Eli Drake is GFW champ.

Seems you like to rage against the corporate machine. Evil Vince and evil WWE. End of the day WWE is the biggest game in town and the place to make the most money and make your name the biggest. Even with evil Vince holding you down you can still make more and make your name bigger than anywhere else and you can parlay that into more money outside WWE or a backstage career in WWE.

For some staying outside the machine and making good enough money as their own boss and hustling 24/7 is what they would rather do. Doesn't change that if you go to WWE and become a superstar you are made in the wrestling business.

I'm not raging against WWE, I'm just realistic about what it actually is, and what prospects there actually are there for most guys.

You are too focused on the top end of WWE. That part of WWE is completely random and out of your control as a wrestler. WWE picks who they want to make a star, and they go about doing it. If you don't fit that image then you've got little to no chance of working your way up there. You can do your best to be the kind of guy they'll push, but it's not realistically an option for everyone. It's just the reality of the company.

It's not realistic to assume that you will become a big time star in WWE. It's far more realistic to expect to become a steady mid-card guy, and that's what you should compare the indy life to.

But when you talk about Cena and Lesnar 'working their way up', I really don't think you even understand what 'working their way up' actually means.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Considering WWE only offered him a $60k contract when he left TNA where he was making $400k, he wouldn't have been wrong to say Styles would be better off staying in the indies at that time.

It was Styles' NJPW run that got him the big bucks in WWE, but he was also making great money over in Japan and taking bookings whenever.
That's the thing with post-TNA Styles. He had been amazing for over a decade and WWE never came calling. It's not like he was an unknown talent or anything, he was a major star. An NXT contract at the point in time was a massive pay cut and not even worth thinking about. He went to work for RoH, where he was a star, and then NJPW too. He was paid far better by both of them than NXT, it's not even close. Then he was the highest cost guy on the indies on top of that. He made more money in a single tour of England than he would have in an entire year of NXT.

But after the NJPW run put him back on WWE's radar, they offered him a main roster contract. Not only did they offer a main roster contract, they offered him a big one with the intent of pushing him as a top tier guy. And at that point he'd be an idiot to turn it down. Especially when he wanted to be based in america instead of Japan.

Also, Styles is old. He's 40 now, and had significant back problems during his post-TNA run. Should he take that tiny NXT contract or make the most money of any non-WWE wrestler in the world? It really is a no brainer.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016

I meant 1.5 years ago, when he debut at the Rumble, not 10 years ago.

Styles run in NJPW put him on the radar for WWE. And his WWE run has put him on the radar for the entire world and made him a wealthy man.

Despite being small and not great on the mic(before he came to WWE) he still was pushed and is now top 5 biggest star in WWE.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
I meant 1.5 years ago, when he debut at the Rumble, not 10 years ago.

Styles run in NJPW put him on the radar for WWE. And his WWE run has put him on the radar for the entire world and made him a wealthy man.

Despite being small and not great on the mic(before he came to WWE) he still was pushed and is now top 5 biggest star in WWE.
'On the radar for the entire world'. TNA is a worldwide show, and Styles was the biggest indy during his post-TNA run all over the world. WWE didn't make him into an international super star, he already was one when they signed him.

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
I like to avoid everything like that, but it's pretty much impossible. If it's posted officially, it's hard to miss.

Peyton Royce wrestled another great match and looked beautiful doing it. Really think she could be the total package.

Trent Seven's dad bod is impressive.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
So I guess I wonder how they will decide the new champ.

Seems like too good an opportunity with the Mae Young Classic to not have it get involved in the search for a new champ.

I would have the winner of the tourney get one shot at the belt vs the winner of something from the established NXT women. I don't think the tournament winner should just be given the belt.

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
umm.... wow.
should she come back? i guess thats it, straight to the main show. whenever that could be.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Seems like too good an opportunity with the Mae Young Classic to not have it get involved in the search for a new champ.

I would have the winner of the tourney get one shot at the belt vs the winner of something from the established NXT women. I don't think the tournament winner should just be given the belt.

I like this idea in context, just not sure I'd want who I think will win the tournament to lose a title match in their first shot. But if it's what they do I'm sure it will make sense when it plays out. Doesn't look like I'm getting my dream match in Philly.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC

I'd say give the winner of the Classic a slot in an NXT Women's Championship Tournament but maybe have a rule that the other women who were in the Mae Young can't participate? Maybe something like

Ember Moon
Ruby Riot
Nikki Cross
Mae Young Classic Winner
Peyton Royce
Billie Kay
Sonya Deville
Mandy Rose

If Royce and Kay also get called up (which I think I've seen rumored is in their future) you could sub in Liv Morgan and somebody like Deonna Purrazzo, Lei'D Tapa, or Jenna Van Muscles (AKA Thick Charlotte) who's been on NXT TV somewhat recently but didn't participate in the Classic.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Do a tournament involving the women already on the NXT roster and the winner of that tournament faces the winner of the Mae Young classic at the next Takeover to decide the new champion.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Sometimes I feel like sneaking into full sail during a taping and convincing HHH to give me a job on the brand that Vince doesn't play a part in. Just let me write the shows lol.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Sometimes I feel like sneaking into full sail during a taping and convincing HHH to give me a job on the brand that Vince doesn't play a part in. Just let me write the shows lol.

And your fate would be the same as all the other writers who thought they were taking their dream job, only to have everything they write go to ****. And to think - most WWE writers have years of experience AND are fans AND still cannot get their storylines through ole Vince or the many obstacles in their way.

With no experience, degree, or anything... try an indy program if that's your true passion. Maybe build your way up + try to wrestle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad