Post-Game Talk: Nurse Wins it for the Blues.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Base on the traditional sense of the word, Offside, that goal was offside. You should never be ahead of the puck even if you have possession. The puck should always enter the zone first.

But the Makar situation screwed the meaning of offside and opened too many can of worms.
Even worse is this was ruled a good goal too. Looks familiar no?

Reactions: ZJuice

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Never blamed the goalie on anything. Skinner was outstanding in this game. Our topline attention to detail or coverage in ownzone tonight was abysmal and it was all night. Blues had so many clean looks from gimme range.

I can see blame for Nurse on tying goal. Which other one? I'd hate to have to rewatch this sordid game. heh
Did you miss the first St. Louis goal?

And I never said you blamed the goalie. But incredibly, someone on here did.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Did you miss the first St. Louis goal?

And I never said you blamed the goalie. But incredibly, someone on here did.
Yep. I changed my view and comments. I accept that Nurse had two bad miscues last night that cost us goals against. I was switching the game on and off and watching a Lennox Lewis documentary. Although I watched the whole game I was FF at points and missed that Nurse was responsible for first goal.

It is incredible somebody would blame Skinner. He was fantastic.

Reactions: Stoneman89

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
He got that much b/c Nurses starting # was probably idiotic. Both can be true. He knows full well what comes with that.

Holland is a dolt as well. Nurse knew what asking for that much $$ meant. Nurse is an overconfident guy. You need that confidence to play in this league, but it can hinder you as well.

Nurse deserves all of the heat and a microscope on him. He isn't stupid (besides on NHL ice trying to retrieve pucks).

Two big dawgs on this team are massive difference makers. Game shifters. They screw up too, but they help this team so much, we can overlook it.

Nurse is is not even in their stratosphere. 2nd highest salary earner and the dude is not any sort of difference maker.

That is how you handcuff yourself from making a full balanced team. This idiot could be two solid dmen, but moron dinosaur gave him so much $$.

Yeah, it would be another sweep or 4-1 if we meet again
Regarding Nurse and his contract it’s all well and good to say we could get 2 solid defenseman for that number but a history shows that not to be true at all in this city. Please name these magic players that would take that amount to play the blue line in Edmonton I’ll wait…. Oh yeah they don’t exist. It took almost two decades to develop a Dman here capable of playing 25 min a night and we were just supposed to let him walk because we didn’t want to pay the price that was set for a top pair defense man by Chicago/NJ/CLB? As much as people love to blame Nurse for or Holland for every little thing here the reality is we are better with him than without him.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Nurse rightfully deserves the lion share of the blame, he cost us that extra point and there’s no way around that fact.

But there are more suitable players that should be out there to be protecting leads. Little Jordan Kyrou rubbed Mcdavid out and stripped him of the puck so easily, took his lunch money.

The offside call was such bullshit and Mcdavids comments after the game are 100% right. The league should clarify these rules but they’ll never do it because these are such subjective moments that they can affect a desired outcome and still have the waters muddied enough that nobody can definitively say the league puts their thumb on the scales.

It’s pretty clear that the league greatly prioritizes on ice success of markets with growth potential at the expense of markets where fans will support win or lose. Bettman and co are still upset the lottery balls fell to the Oilers for McDavid, they desperately wanted him in an American growth market and now they’ll hinder the team any chance they get. In such a parity driven league the Oilers would have to be an absolute juggernaut to overcome the stacked deck and be a dominant team.

Arizona will be an interesting case study, right now they are so bad that no amount of favouring is going to help them, short of the ref throwing the puck in the net. But as the new rink day approaches and they start icing an actual NHL roster I fully expect we’ll see their number of pp’s be near the top of the league, infractions against near the bottom. And subjective challenges and league office initiated reviews falling in their favour more often than not.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Ok, after all the vitriol last night about the Oilers loss its still such a shitshow in STL. Man that team is f***ed hard. ROR, their former leader can't stand being there anymore and playing like it. He's not good right now. But lmfao that the Blues have Kyrou and Thomas locked up longterm for near Draisaitl type money. On what planet are either worth that? Kyrou has a fraction of the production and is allergic to 200ft play and most of the season led the Blues in GA and negative plus/minus. He was -21 before last night. yeah Kyrou had a big game. Its very selective with him. He's playing McDrai so his ego was into this particular match. in a typical game you won't see Kyrou even enter his own zone for long.

Get this, the Blues are the third oldest team in the league, they're cap strung, they're going to be losing players, AND they are way out of the playoffs and not gonna be there. The Blues we saw last night is not how they've typically been playing. They just like to play us hard. Its expected but hey they can have their Stanley Cup beating the Oilers. They won't be getting anything else. This is a Blues club that is worse than the Calgary Flames. Plus like I said getting old and its only going to get worse for them. They had their moment though but I credit the vets for that cup run, and Binnington. But the players that the Blues have longterm that they're hitching the horse to, good luck with that..

Most Blues fans detest Kyrou and the contract. Kid is talented but he got 65M contract based on one friggen production season. Theres little to suggest that this is a player that will be a leader or push a team in the right direction.

Robert Thomas. My lord. Blues pay him near Drai money to whiff on half a dozen chances a night and have a career high of 20 goals. The guy is active and all around it and you notice him a lot in games but usually you notice he's not burying much.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
No it’s not. Not every line breaks out that way the top line just cheats for offence constantly.

When possession is established every line breaks out that way. The difference is the top line gains possession in our end far more often. You see it live far better than on tv which can only show 1 zone.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
No it’s not. Not every line breaks out that way the top line just cheats for offence constantly.
Bang. No accountability. No coaching staff. No calling out. Nothing. McDrai have carte blanche here to do as they please. What pleases them apparently is just grabbing pts. Somebody mentioned how revealing it is what their usage was in the 8-2 game against Arizona.

For instance McDrai were both loaded up on PP taking up over 4mins each of the PP time. As if we needed our first unit PP out there all night taking up 80% of the time in a game we were leading by 7 goals...Anybody would think its an ideal game to give the 2nd unit some game practice but thats never the intent here. What this org does every night is double shift McDrai and first unit on the PP. Then give them way too much toi in general in games.

Tells you really everything you need to know about what is being catered to.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
When possession is established every line breaks out that way. The difference is the top line gains possession in our end far more often. You see it live far better than on tv which can only show 1 zone.
There is no breakout in hockey where multiple forwards are up by the red line when the puck is behind your net. It’s not a thing.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Unconnected comment but hopefully we've seen these shite McFarlane Jerseys for the last time. Is is just me or do the Oilers play like befitting clowns evertime they put this jersey on. They wear this Halloween crap out there and I almost feel sorry for them. This Jersey and the orange Oil drop is f***ing awful. Does anybody purchase this? It hurts my eyes. lol

edit; I don't mind mentioning it because opposing fans are more likely to call out crap but the Blues fans are calling this the worst jersey they've ever seen. Its not an uncommon sentiment thats being expressed by opposing fans. They don't usually mock the Oilers regular jerseys, but they mock this one.

Last edited:
Reactions: CycloneSweep

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Bang. No accountability. No coaching staff. No calling out. Nothing. McDrai have carte blanche here to do as they please. What pleases them apparently is just grabbing pts. Somebody mentioned how revealing it is what their usage was in the 8-2 game against Arizona.

For instance McDrai were both loaded up on PP taking up over 4mins each of the PP time. As if we needed our first unit PP out there all night taking up 80% of the time in a game we were leading by 7 goals...Anybody would think its an ideal game to give the 2nd unit some game practice but thats never the intent here. What this org does every night is double shift McDrai and first unit on the PP. Then give them way too much toi in general in games.

I don’t think the coaching staff is allowed to question McDrai or hold them accountable for anything. Hell Holland pretty much gms by just getting guys the core likes. Word from Holland to coach most likely “do what they want”

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I don’t think the coaching staff is allowed to question McDrai or hold them accountable for anything. Hell Holland pretty much gms by just getting guys the core likes. Word from Holland to coach most likely “do what they want”
McDrai loaded up and playing together is always a telltale sign.

Its gotta be concerning being a young player like Holloway, Kostin etc wondering what you gotta do for minutes. Sorry guys, McDrai got all of em. In watching the game in real time my take was McDrai were getting every second shift. They just kept being out there. Then over 4mins of the OT and a lot of the end game. it was just ridiculous. That shit has to be called out.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

I give McDavid a lot of rope for defensive miscues for obvious reasons, but the last week or two he has been straight up horrendous defensively. It's been about a goal against per game lately where he is either grossly out of position cheating for offense or in position, but just not engaging his man in the slot.

He has to start bearing down and being the leader defensively, not the guy that is cratering right when we're trying to dig in in this area as a team.

It's been time ever since Hyman and Yamo came back to split McDavid and Leon again, but Woodcroft is doing a Tippett impersonation at the moment and refusing to do the obvious. Every single time those two have played together for a consistent stretch they inevitably start to play like absolute morons that end up giving back as much as they produce. Outside of the Nashville game the McDavid - Leon line has been getting pretty consistently caved by the other team's top line. Robert Thomas ran their show last night. Sam Steel of all players ran their show in Minnesota. They aren't getting roasted because they are worse players, they're getting killed because they really have no interest whatsoever in committing to playing 5 man defense in the zone. It's always looping around the zone hoping a puck gets chipped up to them for a jail break, then surprise surprise they can't get out of their own end.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
I remember Klefbom getting injured and Nurse took his mind years ago. He just looked dumb to me, too many boneheaded plays. Somehow he got 9.25.. just brutal.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I give McDavid a lot of rope for defensive miscues for obvious reasons, but the last week or two he has been straight up horrendous defensively. It's been about a goal against per game lately where he is either grossly out of position cheating for offense or in position, but just not engaging his man in the slot.

He has to start bearing down and being the leader defensively, not the guy that is cratering right when we're trying to dig in in this area as a team.

It's been time ever since Hyman and Yamo came back to split McDavid and Leon again, but Woodcroft is doing a Tippett impersonation at the moment and refusing to do the obvious. Every single time those two have played together for a consistent stretch they inevitably start to play like absolute morons that end up giving back as much as they produce. Outside of the Nashville game the McDavid - Leon line has been getting pretty consistently caved by the other team's top line. Robert Thomas ran their show last night. Sam Steel of all players ran their show in Minnesota. They aren't getting roasted because they are worse players, they're getting killed because they really have no interest whatsoever in committing to playing 5 man defense in the zone. It's always looping around the zone hoping a puck gets chipped up to them for a jail break, then surprise surprise they can't get out of their own end.
Nailed it. I'm not the only one spotting this.

In fairness like I said forwards get anymore than say 22mins a night and there will be cutting corners. With McDrai its taking it easy in own zone. Which is pretty problematic for obvious reasons and is why we're treading water instead of staking more claim on games and standings. We're giving these guys ridiculous minutes with no accountability and ultimately there can't be with that kind of usage. Mistakes made, corners cut.

Theres no way McDrai line should have been out immediately after the team took the 3-1 lead. But there they are tired, sleepwalking in own zone, hemmed in, doing nothing but watching play, bang we get scored against. That was a coaching GA. Put a fresh line out there. The 3-2 goal changed the whole outlook of the game.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I remember Klefbom getting injured and Nurse took his mind years ago. He just looked dumb to me, too many boneheaded plays. Somehow he got 9.25.. just brutal.
Klef was never this dumb like Nurse. Stupid decisions after stupid decisions. I know Nurse supporters will be like Nurse is a + player and Klef was always a - player bla bla bla

It's sad we never got to see Klef at his best.

Reactions: Lay Z Boy GM

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley
Just about done defending Nurse. Completely unacceptable by him, actually the first time I've gotten upset about something Oilers related in a long time.

I am done. I tried but his contract will be why this team doesn’t win a Stanley Cup unless we hit the lotto on some massive value contracts.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
even more infuriating: not only did Nurse f*** up last night, but Woodcroft ninjaed his own brain by changing up his usual powerplay deployment. He put out Nurse and Ceci specifically to try to not have exactly what happened, happen.

I don't even know if that happens with four forwards and Barrie out there. Horrific stuff.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Klef was never this dumb like Nurse. Stupid decisions after stupid decisions. I know Nurse supporters will be like Nurse is a + player and Klef was always a - player bla bla bla

It's sad we never got to see Klef at his best.
I miss Klefbom. I seriously think if he were healthy he could mentor Broberg to a good Dman

Reactions: Canovin

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
I will just leave this here without comment.

Dave Jackson Profile picture

Dave Jackson

Bookmark Save as PDF My Authors
…1/ I feel the need to add some insight as to what goes on in the Situation Room. I worked a total of 34 years for the NHL, both on and off the ice. In that time, I spent a total of 10 minutes inside the room, taking a quick tour. Last month, because of my position at ESPN….1/
…2/ I had the privilege of spending an entire evening in the room. There were 13 games being played and every game had a dedicated “Logger” who reviewed and documented every zone entry, scoring chance, and infraction with the help of 3 Hi-def monitors and super slo-mo…..2/
….3/ there is also a leadership group of 3-5 ppl on any given night who are ex-NHL players and coaches. They have played or coached for a combined 24 different NHL franchises. Add to that, 1 retired NHL official who is a current supervisor and takes a turn swinging through….3/
….4/ the room on a monthly basis. Each of these officials (7 total) have all worked in excess of 1000 NHL games. I had no idea what a technological marvel this room is. Picture NASA but with nothing but hockey on the screens and rule books and memos piled everywhere…..4/

….5/ When anything happens in any game that may require a review, it’s immediately, “All hands on deck” It’s a rush seeing their team jump into action. The logger in question is immediately surrounded by the leadership group and the play in question is isolated and prepped…..5/
….6/ to be reviewed and sent to in-arena tablets in the penalty box. Communication lines are opened to the arena and they’re ready for a coach’s challenge if needed. They are so efficient and professional, they usually have a definitive answer before the refs even get on the…6/
….7/ headset. It pains me to read comments that “they flip a coin” or “don’t want a certain team or country to win” I realize that these comments are based in frustration but they are ignorant, disingenuous and could not be further from the truth. The men in this room….7/
….8/ have hundreds of years and thousands of games of experience in the NHL. They are principled, honest and hard working. Their integrity is beyond reproach. I don’t agree with every decision they make but I never worry that any decision has an ounce of bias. They want…..8/
…..9/ to get every call right and serve the game to the best of their abilities. The have immense pride in the work that they do. If anyone feels like taking a deep dive into their body of work, I encourage you to dig up video of calls not involving your favorite team….9/
….10/ I think you’ll find that their calls are extremely consistent and fair. It’s a tough job without much praise and I for one have a ton of respect for all they do….10/10

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
McDrai loaded up and playing together is always a telltale sign.

Its gotta be concerning being a young player like Holloway, Kostin etc wondering what you gotta do for minutes. Sorry guys, McDrai got all of em. In watching the game in real time my take was McDrai were getting every second shift. They just kept being out there. Then over 4mins of the OT and a lot of the end game. it was just ridiculous. That shit has to be called out.

I knew they were going to lose the shutout at that point. Dont think McDrai even had energy for the shootout. Ice management whether its the players or Woodcroft is a problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad