Post-Game Talk: Nurse Wins it for the Blues.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
More or less yes. I don’t even care about the dumb OT call, continual defensive collapses show this team as is is not ready to challenge Colorado or some of the higher end teams, a team like that will pick apart a team and coach this defensively brain dead like a 6th grader taking a 1st grader’s lunch money.

Sorry if thats harsh, but thats the reality.
Forget Colorado. There's no way they get out of the divisional round as currently constructed. Quite frankly, they're lucky that Markstrom shit the bed last playoffs and that L.A. was missing key players.

This is Holland's "win now" team. Two guys playing at a historic level, again, and they're barely treading water slightly over .500. I know they're missing Kane but this defense (or the system) is a disaster and it's likely not getting better. This is what they're going to battle with, Nurse who can't get out of his own way and a bunch of 4's and 5's. Rough

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Ok, after all the vitriol last night about the Oilers loss its still such a shitshow in STL. Man that team is f***ed hard. ROR, their former leader can't stand being there anymore and playing like it. He's not good right now. But lmfao that the Blues have Kyrou and Thomas locked up longterm for near Draisaitl type money. On what planet are either worth that? Kyrou has a fraction of the production and is allergic to 200ft play and most of the season led the Blues in GA and negative plus/minus. He was -21 before last night. yeah Kyrou had a big game. Its very selective with him. He's playing McDrai so his ego was into this particular match. in a typical game you won't see Kyrou even enter his own zone for long.

Get this, the Blues are the third oldest team in the league, they're cap strung, they're going to be losing players, AND they are way out of the playoffs and not gonna be there. The Blues we saw last night is not how they've typically been playing. They just like to play us hard. Its expected but hey they can have their Stanley Cup beating the Oilers. They won't be getting anything else. This is a Blues club that is worse than the Calgary Flames. Plus like I said getting old and its only going to get worse for them. They had their moment though but I credit the vets for that cup run, and Binnington. But the players that the Blues have longterm that they're hitching the horse to, good luck with that..

Most Blues fans detest Kyrou and the contract. Kid is talented but he got 65M contract based on one friggen production season. Theres little to suggest that this is a player that will be a leader or push a team in the right direction.

Robert Thomas. My lord. Blues pay him near Drai money to whiff on half a dozen chances a night and have a career high of 20 goals. The guy is active and all around it and you notice him a lot in games but usually you notice he's not burying much.
St. Louis has their Cup already (with a lot of these same core guys) so they're playing with house money as opposed to the Oilers whose accomplishment is getting swept in the Conference Finals with arguably the two best players on the planet. Their regime is already a success.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
St. Louis has their Cup already (with a lot of these same core guys) so they're playing with house money as opposed to the Oilers whose accomplishment is getting swept in the Conference Finals with arguably the two best players on the planet. Their regime is already a success.
Yeah I'd specifically mentioned in the post that the Blues had won the cup so not sure why this reply?

The Blues have taken a cup winning team to a playoff missing club and it was the most unlikeliest cup wins of the Milennium with the Blues going from worst to first in the same season. Yeah they got their one cup. We all know that. Improbable events can happen in a cap league.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Yeah I'd mentioned in the post that the Blues had won the cup so not sure why this reply?
You say they are f***ed hard so I'm just saying that that's ok for them because they already achieved the highest level of success with this group.
Plus, they're too good of a team to be down too long. They'll be right there in the playoff mix eventually, I have little doubt of that.

An example of a franchise being f***ed hard is Nashville. That's the definition of a treadmill team that is a never was and a never will be, with this group.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
You say they are f***ed hard so I'm just saying that that's ok for them because they already achieved the highest level of success with this group.
Plus, they're too good of a team to be down too long. They'll be right there in the playoff mix eventually, I have little doubt of that.

An example of a franchise being f***ed hard is Nashville. That's the definition of a treadmill team that is a never was and a never will be, with this group.
The Blues win was a vet laden accomplishment. They've since lost perron, and ROR and Tarasenko and Saad are pretty clearly past it. The Blues have solid D but their forward group will be full of holes and they're paying a lot for Kyrou and Thomas. They've leveraged heavily on those two longterm. I don't see either as being able to carry a club but at least Kyrou will give some highlight reels. The Blues club missing their aging players will lack identity, leadership.

To put into perspective Kane is a better player than Kyrou and Hyman is better than Thomas. Nuge is more capable and plays more roles than Thomas. We're paying far less for these players and they are better players.

I have every respect for the Blues team in 2019 but it was still an unlikely win. Just a team putting it together at right time as can happen.

Blues have been a good franchise but even on their board all the fans agree Armstrong has lost the way. Its not an isolated comment. The moves of the blues were heavily critiqued.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
The thing that really aggravates me about the NHL is that they are so arbitrary. The premise of a review is that the call on the ice should stand unless there is clear evidence otherwise. In this case, the goal was not even challenged by the Blues but rather from the Situation Room. And it is about 1000% clear that they have no idea how to actually determine when these sorts of "possession" anomalies are violations and when they are ok. So why would they impact the outcome of a rather important game like this?

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
The Blues win was a vet laden accomplishment. They've since lost perron, and ROR and Tarasenko and Saad are pretty clearly past it. The Blues have solid D but their forward group will be full of holes and they're paying a lot for Kyrou and Thomas. They've leveraged heavily on those two longterm. I don't see either as being able to carry a club but at least Kyrou will give some highlight reels. The Blues club missing their aging players will lack identity, leadership.

To put into perspective Kane is a better player than Kyrou and Hyman is better than Thomas. Nuge is more capable and plays more roles than Thomas. We're paying far less for these players and they are better players.

I have every respect for the Blues team in 2019 but it was still an unlikely win. Just a team putting it together at right time as can happen.

Blues have been a good franchise but even on their board all the fans agree Armstrong has lost the way. Its not an isolated comment. The moves of the blues were heavily critiqued.
Fanbases are notoriously hard on their team so I would take fanatics takes with a grain of salt especially during rough times. This is largely the same team that pushed Colorado to the limit last season and gave them a tougher time than any other in their playoff run so I wouldn't put them in the grave yet. Still lots of season left to go.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Shit does happen.
Barrie was great this game.
Moving on from bad beats is a skill and ability professional athletes need to have.
Stop crying about Barrie.
Barries' drop pass to McDavid on his end to end rush for the PP goal was epic. Not many in the league can do that. Maybe they should compliment Barrie with that top 4 dman, Ryan Murray?:laugh:

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Barries' drop pass to McDavid on his end to end rush for the PP goal was epic. Not many in the league can do that. Maybe they should compliment Barrie with that top 4 dman, Ryan Murray?:laugh:
Too much whining after a 3 point outting.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Barrie was the first star of the game and was great and was not out on the ice for the tying goal or any goal against. Whats he gonna say. "hey, Nurse played like crap" You don't say that in a team sport. Maybe you say it quietly. To the press you underscore.

Odd though to be singling Barrie out after that game. Barrie also assisted on all our goals. Again he was our best player in the game.
Not singling him out for his play. Singling him out for his comment. Doesn't sound much like a pissed off type of reaction, given the way the game went. I expected people to be spitting mad, or at least show a hint of it, not the country club type of atmosphere we've been led to believe exists.

Too much whining after a 3 point outting.
How's Ryan Murray doing?

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Not singling him out for his play. Singling him out for his comment. Doesn't sound much like a pissed off type of reaction, given the way the game went. I expected people to be spitting mad, or at least show a hint of it, not the country club type of atmosphere we've been led to believe exists.

How's Ryan Murray doing?

Who’s talking about Ryan Murray. I thought you were crying about Barries 3 point night?

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

How's Ryan Murray doing?
I appreciate that Barrie is level headed. you take that to mean he doesn't care. As with everything its possible to see the same things differently. Barrie isn't going to be blaming other players just because he himself had a stellar game. I appreciate that too that the players don't fold on each other but get through the good and bad.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Fanbases are notoriously hard on their team so I would take fanatics takes with a grain of salt especially during rough times. This is largely the same team that pushed Colorado to the limit last season and gave them a tougher time than any other in their playoff run so I wouldn't put them in the grave yet. Still lots of season left to go.
You probably missed the posts and pundits but a lot of the vet players in STL were said to be unhappy with the Kyrou bankroll and perhaps feeling that they had done the heavy lifting on the team. It wasn't just the fans critical. It was scribes and seemingly players. At TC there were also comments of some unhappy campers. Thus the Blues team post Kyrou signing and post Perron not being there (a key glue player there) this is a different Blues club. This is a Blues club that is missing the playoffs. I have little doubt of that and fwiw called it early in season.

The Blues caught Colorado before they got going. Lets remember this was an Avalanche team that had not had appreciable playoff success up against a team that had won it all and still had all those veterans in the room. Thats always a tough matchup and AV's handled it well while stamping their own SC resume. But with teams theres often a signpost of when it goes south. For the Isles of lore they stopped being the same in 84 when the Oilers clocked them. Similarly the Oilers lost their way when losing to Minny or Chicago in conference finals in 91, 92. It happens, time marches on. But the Kings are done. Doesn't matter how much season is left.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
And as long as McDavid continues to go end to end and score or set up plays, he'll likely continue to get more points. He did make a nice play on the Yamo goal.

Barrie does get a lot of points like these, sure, but there are a ton of other D that have played plenty with McDavid that never did. Never understood the need to downplay secondary assists, or primary assists that weren't "amazing" passes.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Barrie does get a lot of points like these, sure, but there are a ton of other D that have played plenty with McDavid that never did. Never understood the need to downplay secondary assists, or primary assists that weren't "amazing" passes.
Especially considering Barrie has made some pretty amazing passes and is more than capable of the same. More snickers for everybody. ;)

Reactions: Oilhawks

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
You were the one that adamantly said Ryan Murray would and should be in our top 4.

Go back to whining about an off side call.

I may have expressed my hope that Ryan Murray could be an option to step in. And my hot take may have even been wrong.

Still has nothing to do with your incessant crying about Barrie. I will continue to question the offside call, I will continue to whine like McDavid I guess.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I sure wish we could add Parayko. His stats aren't great this season, but he would be a really good get for us.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
The most frustrating part about watching an Oiler make mistakes like that is there's never anyone around to cover for them.

I feel like there's this misconception that good teams don't make mistakes, but every team does. Teams are coached too well nowadays to not cause some mistakes. The difference between good and bad teams is how well they handle mistakes. If you watch a team like the Bruins, they often have one or two guys sprinting back to cover up mistakes, so they rarely turn into anything.

The Oilers just seem to have no idea how to play as a five man unit.

Reactions: MessierII

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
I
The thing that really aggravates me about the NHL is that they are so arbitrary. The premise of a review is that the call on the ice should stand unless there is clear evidence otherwise. In this case, the goal was not even challenged by the Blues but rather from the Situation Room. And it is about 1000% clear that they have no idea how to actually determine when these sorts of "possession" anomalies are violations and when they are ok. So why would they impact the outcome of a rather important game like this?

The fact that they don't have a clear definition of possession is the issue. If you can have possession without your stick being in contact with the puck, and you're allowed to cross the bluline with your skates before the puck if you have possession then how is McDavid offside? He makes a move to control where the puck is going as he crosses the blueline, and O'Reilly's stick only contests possession of the puck by making contact with McDavid's stick after the puck has crossed the blueline. By then the play is already onside since McDavid as per the rulebook "had control of the puck prior to his skates crossing the leading edge of the blue line."

This clip has a good breakdown of the off side in OT backed up with an example. We got royally screwed by the league.

This video is my opinion as well. McDavid makes a move on O'Reilly at the blueline to control where the puck is going as he crosses the blueline. He's clearly in possession of the puck per the NHL rulebook definition of possession. Possession and control are only contested by O'Reilly's stick once the puck has already crossed the blueline into the Blues zone. Is there anything that happens between when the puck leaves McDavid's stick blade and when O'Reilly stick contests control after the puck is already is the zone? No. Up until that point McDavid has possession and is controlling where the puck is. So given you really have to twist the letter of the law of the NHL rulebook to debate control and possession to call this offside, then why is the situation room overturning the call on the ice?

It should be conclusive that the play is offside to reverse the call on the ice. It's not conclusive so the call on the ice which was onside and a good goal should stand. Case closed. That's the NHL's own rules. This is just yet another example of the situation room chosing not to follow some of their own rules when it suits them.

Reactions: TheNumber4

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Not to mention that the determination of Control is a decision that was already made Live and On the Ice by the Officials who deemed it a good entry. I mean no one was zooming in on the puck and skates to determine entry timing like all other off-sides reviews. This was a review made to reinterpret a purely subjective call. The Linesman had it right and went off the WORD of the Rule. The NHL ignores its own wording and does a completely different subjective determination.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad