Player Discussion Jake DeBrusk VIII

Bridges31

Sweep the leg!
Oct 7, 2007
NH
No way he’s coming back. He’s going to want term and he’s way too inconsistent for the Bruins to be handing out 4-5 years.

Having said that, he was a beast in the playoffs.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
I would find a way to keep him. He is streaky but he brings more to the ice than scoring. He is a good PK guy and should get more PP time. He is great at deflecting pucks in the slot. His passing was excellent in the playoffs. After Pasta he was the only guy that was a threat to score, Marshy best days are behind him. They need to keep guys like this, we cannot have a team of 3rd line grinders who cannot score.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
I want him back.

What you’re probably going to spend on him is what you’ll end up spending on a player of lesser skill in the open market IMO.

Guy has a broken hand thus explaining his droughts, Got healthy in time for playoffs and had a heck of a run.

He’s so good on both sides of the puck.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I want him back.

What you’re probably going to spend on him is what you’ll end up spending on a player of lesser skill in the open market IMO.

Guy has a broken hand thus explaining his droughts, Got healthy in time for playoffs and had a heck of a run.

He’s so good on both sides of the puck.

Yup if you don't pay Debrusk you have basically 4 choices to replace him

1) Trade assets to get someone to replace him
2) Sign a better payer who is significantly more expensive
3) Sign a similar player who is equally if not more flawed, but might be more "consistent"
4) Sign a cheap player who isn't nearly as good

Debrusk likes Boston by all accounts and wants to stay. He is by all accounts a really popular member of the team. He plays hurt. He was a monster in the playoffs.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Exactly my thought too.
I have been on Jake side for a long time, but even I have said this season maybe a change was needed for player and team. I ask you will you be saying he should have been a "priority" after Swayman, when he is going through one of his droughts, or invisible runs.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I have been on Jake side for a long time, but even I have said this season maybe a change was needed for player and team. I ask you will you be saying he should have been a "priority" after Swayman, when he is going through one of his droughts, or invisible runs.

Hes always going to be a streaky player. Having said that this team needs scoring. Unless you can get same or better cheaper you have to look to re-sign.
Now if he out prices himself thats a horse of a different color.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Hes always going to be a streaky player. Having said that this team needs scoring. Unless you can get same or better cheaper you have to look to re-sign.

Agree, they need scoring.

But Debrusk's numbers per 82 games is 24-22-46. In the playoffs 26-19-45.

I'd be looking for a real scorer instead.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Agree, they need scoring.

But Debrusk's numbers per 82 games is 24-22-46. In the playoffs 26-19-45.

I'd be looking for a real scorer instead.

I dont disagree. But they must at very least replace his production at a reasonable cost.
Unfortunately easier said than done. Gonna be interesting.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
You are right if he out prices himself, he can end our discussion without a doubt. He is a talent that is for sure, but I feel has more to offer, and I think these playoffs support my argument.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I think Jake will end up somewhere in the Western Conference, back in Alberta or sign somewhere like Utah who`ll toss some money around that might be too hard to pass up and I`m ok with that

Seen enough, appreciate the contributions, go after a Stevenson/Guentzel

whitetape

Jun 3, 2006
As long as he gets hot during the playoffs. Anyway, the hand injury explains part of his mid-season slump this past year.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
This past playoffs was an apt microcosm of DeBrusk. He was hustling, scoring some, showing speed and drive. Then he has a play last night where he blocks a weak-ish wrister and sits on his ass in the slot Bob Sweeney style until the Panthers score.

This team needs all the speed they can find and DeBrusk is one of the only guys they've got who possesses it.

Can letting go of one of the only fleet players they've got possibly be a good idea? Is there any possibility that additional Jake DeBrusk seasons pass without me following through on my threats of whiskey bottle annihilation directed at my television, as a stand in for DeBrusk?

One of the most bizarre Bruins I've seen.

dangermike

Jan 24, 2022
i think management and the fans pushed him out - not sure if theres enough goodwill to get a team friendly deal boston would have gotten 1-2 years ago

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
This past playoffs was an apt microcosm of DeBrusk. He was hustling, scoring some, showing speed and drive. Then he has a play last night where he blocks a weak-ish wrister and sits on his ass in the slot Bob Sweeney style until the Panthers score.This team needs all the speed they can find and DeBrusk is one of the only guys they've got whopossesses it.Can letting go of one of the only fleet players they've got possibly be a good idea? Is there any possibility that additional Jake DeBrusk seasons pass without me following through on my threats of whiskey bottle annihilation directed at my television, as a stand in for DeBrusk?
One of the most bizarre Bruins I've seen.

Led the team in scoring in the playoffs.

Had the worst plus/minus on the team in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad