Post-Game Talk: Nurse Wins it for the Blues.

SnipeShowJB11

Jul 8, 2022
even more infuriating: not only did Nurse f*** up last night, but Woodcroft ninjaed his own brain by changing up his usual powerplay deployment. He put out Nurse and Ceci specifically to try to not have exactly what happened, happen.

I don't even know if that happens with four forwards and Barrie out there. Horrific stuff.
Mindboggling stupid decision from the coach. What an idiot.

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
The most frustrating part about watching an Oiler make mistakes like that is there's never anyone around to cover for them.

I feel like there's this misconception that good teams don't make mistakes, but every team does. Teams are coached too well nowadays to not cause some mistakes. The difference between good and bad teams is how well they handle mistakes. If you watch a team like the Bruins, they often have one or two guys sprinting back to cover up mistakes, so they rarely turn into anything.

The Oilers just seem to have no idea how to play as a five man unit.
The Bruins are a great example in how to play the game in all aspects these days, they're really a fun team to watch, make you appreciate the game a lot more

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Tim Peel pretending he can with conscience interpret a call not based on bias, after being caught being as subjective as it can get.

This isn't Milan Lucic drifting across the blue line - its Connor McDavid. Of course he had control.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
And as long as McDavid continues to go end to end and score or set up plays, he'll likely continue to get more points. He did make a nice play on the Yamo goal.
So what he’s the only one on the oilers who seems able to make that first pass anyways.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Tim Peel pretending he can with conscience interpret a call not based on bias, after being caught being as subjective as it can get.

This isn't Milan Lucic drifting across the blue line - its Connor McDavid. Of course he had control.
McDavid has control when it's on the opposition's stick, let alone sliding across the ice in a stick battle.

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
I didn't think there was a Blue along the wall, seemed like he should've just shot it around the boards. I think there was an Oiler at the blueline too.
He also had the option of playing the puck behind him to Ceci.

I feel like every Oiler that was on the ice (minus Skinner) is to blame. Ceci just standing around not taking anybody, Nurse with the horrible turn-over, McDavid with the turnover, Leon and Nuge cheating up ice when they should be defending.

CROTT

Aug 25, 2007
Edmonton
Not to mention that the determination of Control is a decision that was already made Live and On the Ice by the Officials who deemed it a good entry. I mean no one was zooming in on the puck and skates to determine entry timing like all other off-sides reviews. This was a review made to reinterpret a purely subjective call. The Linesman had it right and went off the WORD of the Rule. The NHL ignores its own wording and does a completely different subjective determination.
The Kane disallowed goal adds to the evidence that there definitely is a bias. It was called a goal by the ref at the net, then they huddled and changed their minds to no goal to make it even harder to be called a goal. Though there’s still no doubt Kane was pushed in to the Chicago goalie…

This goal being called back is not a surprise, also the Makar goal last year was called onside by the linesmen at the opposite end of the blue line with X-ray vision to see through Makar’s stick blade that he didn’t touch the puck with an Avs player clearly still in the zone. Not that the Oilers were going to win the series anyway…

Atleast they got the Coleman kick right, so there’s a positive.

Last edited:

TypeSly

Jan 29, 2010
Wayne Gretzky Drive
Twice in one game?? How the F does he not learn from that first one?? Darnell Nonchalant F'ing Nurse 🤬

PS - What the F is the NHL's problem with the Oilers anyway? Just bend us over and (*you know what) us every friggin' year. 🤬

PPS - Sorry for all the F-bombs... I'm just beyond frustrated, and it's been a whole day since.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Also, if the situation room was in Edmonton. It would have been a goal. In Toronto or Calgary, not a goal.

Why can't they just leave these offsides to the on-ice officials who i assume get paid.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Could have been worse, I guess.

Could’ve have been embarrassed like the Flames were. Oof

Last edited:
Reactions: BlackDogg

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
even more infuriating: not only did Nurse f*** up last night, but Woodcroft ninjaed his own brain by changing up his usual powerplay deployment. He put out Nurse and Ceci specifically to try to not have exactly what happened, happen.

I don't even know if that happens with four forwards and Barrie out there. Horrific stuff.
I've almost completely blocked this game out of my mind, but wasn't the Blues' goalie pulled? If it's 5 skaters on 5, why would Woodcroft put out his powerplay unit? Nurse was awful, but from a coaching perspective, Woodcroft had the "right" personnel out there. Outrage over that is simply irrational.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
I've almost completely blocked this game out of my mind, but wasn't the Blues' goalie pulled? If it's 5 skaters on 5, why would Woodcroft put out his powerplay unit? Nurse was awful, but from a coaching perspective, Woodcroft had the "right" personnel out there. Outrage over that is simply irrational.
No- it was 5 on 4 with the face off in the Blues zone. They should have had their regulars out.

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
No- it was 5 on 4 with the face off in the Blues zone. They should have had their regulars out.
Blues had 5 skaters out when the goal was scored, and it was likely that they would have pulled the goalie as soon as they gained possession or cleared the zone. Anyone saying they should have had Barrie and a forward on the point is just being obtuse or contrarian.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Blues had 5 skaters out when the goal was scored, and it was likely that they would have pulled the goalie as soon as they gained possession or cleared the zone. Anyone saying they should have had Barrie and a forward on the point is just being obtuse or contrarian.
I am not so sure. One huge plus of Hyman on the ice at that time is how dogged he is on the puck. To get the goalie out St. Louis needed possession and control. The Oiler pp typically does not give the other team that chance often.

Reactions: frag2

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Yep I know they scored when it was 5v5 when they scored- but they agoukd have had their foot on their neck and gone for the kill. Lol- being obtuse saying Barrie and a forward on is being obtuse? Why because they might have gotten scored on? Lol

Reactions: ChaoticOrange

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
The most frustrating part about watching an Oiler make mistakes like that is there's never anyone around to cover for them.

I feel like there's this misconception that good teams don't make mistakes, but every team does. Teams are coached too well nowadays to not cause some mistakes. The difference between good and bad teams is how well they handle mistakes. If you watch a team like the Bruins, they often have one or two guys sprinting back to cover up mistakes, so they rarely turn into anything.

The Oilers just seem to have no idea how to play as a five man unit.
When Nurse makes a mistake he’s usually paired with Ceci who’s been horrible this year. He’s constantly out of position, making bad pinches or trying to fly the zone early.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Or you’re just wrong. Edmonton had a power play with a faceoff in the Blues zone.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Not having basically any competent defensive players is glaring when you see who Woody put out with 30 seconds to go.

I think most coaches would have sent out they’re best defensive line and best defensive pairing in that situation. Woody pretty much has to just roll out the normal PP unit because those players don’t exist on the Oilers.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada

Or you know. Play the leagues #1 ranked powerplay, on a powerplay.

I guess that’s too obtuse.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I may have expressed my hope that Ryan Murray could be an option to step in. And my hot take may have even been wrong.

Still has nothing to do with your incessant crying about Barrie. I will continue to question the offside call, I will continue to whine like McDavid I guess.
It wasn't your hope. You said he would be in the top 4, and that was that. Nice try. But then again, you were also praising the Koskinen contract, so makes sense.:laugh:

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
It wasn't your hope. You said he would be in the top 4, and that was that. Nice try. But then again, you were also praising the Koskinen contract, so makes sense.:laugh:

Sad how you remember my takes and think that throwing them back at me is a viable attack on me. As if I care if one of my past takes on a player I was hopeful about ends up being wrong.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Sad how you remember my takes and think that throwing them back at me is a viable attack on me. As if I care if one of my past takes on a player I was hopeful about ends up being wrong.
Hey, we all make mistakes on judgements of players, Lord knows, I 've had my share. But hopeful isn't close to describing what your take on Murray was. It was pretty adamant when I questioned it. At any rate, we'll let bygones be bygones, if you're down with it. I won't bring it up again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad