Confirmed with Link: Nuke scored a MotherF****ing goal!!!

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
He brings a lot to the table even when he's not scoring so when he goes cold it's not that much of an issue. Assuming we re-sign him, I wonder if he'll keep playing like this after signing a longer contract because he (rightfully) plays like a guy who's trying to save his career.

He's gotta be the guy on the team who burns the most calories per game. :laugh: A dude his size always going 100% is pretty rare, I don't know if he can keep this up for 2-3 years.

I don't see him going 100% all the time. I actually think hes pretty good at reading the play, and conserving energy.

I've seen his line get caught out for extended shifts and he is still in the right places, and makes good reads where he quite often contributes to his line being able to change.

If you watch him away from the puck he isn't going all out the way someone like Calvert does.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Nuke looks like a good 3rd liner to me. He doesn't have enough finish or play well enough to consistently be in your top 6, but he's a good piece for your 3rd line. Would be an amazing piece if we had a good #3C.

And that right there is why Zadorov can never be moved. Get Big Z centering Nuke and Calvert and all the board battles belong to us.

Reactions: cgf and BrickNHL

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Nuke is certainly more of a power forward than Landy. Landy has morphed into a slow skating sniper with the looks of Brad Pitt.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
It's probably no secret that Nuke has become one of my favorite players on the Avs this year, so this research was probably done with a level of bias but.... I realized earlier today that Nuke had his goal against Philly taken away which I thought it was pretty obvious he tipped that shot, but it got me digging into his stats a little and well, I kind of wonder what might happen with Nichushkin if we gave him an honest, extended look in the Top 6 and getting regular PP time. Because after his Ice cold start where he had just 1 assist in his first 16 games this season.... He since has put up 8 Goals and 9 assists for 17 points in his last 29 games. A pretty damn solid 23 Goal, 48 point pace over an 82 game season.

If you dive into the numbers even further though, In that 29 game sample he's also 3rd on the team at Points/60 at even strength. He's at 2.53 Points/60 behind just Mackinnon(3.31) and Burakovsky(2.56). He's 3rd in G/60 at 1.18 behind Mackinnon(1.52) and Kadri(1.34). He's 4th in A/60 at 1.35, behind Mackinnon(1.78), Donskoi(1.70), and Burakovsky(1.46).

He also dominates possession for us. When he's on the ice at 5 on 5 the Avs have 56.7% of shot attempts, despite Nuke starting 46.7% of his shifts in the offensive zone. Only Calvert/Nieto/Bellemare have lower offensive zone starts. His shots attempts% relative to the rest of the team is by far the best at 5.6%. The next best skater is Mackinnon at 3.2%. His on ice GF% is also easily the best on the team at a pretty ridiculous 74.1% which kind of gets put on display by his +17 rating which is easily best among forwards as well(2nd being Jost at a 66% oiGF% and +8).

He also leads the team in GWGs since November 29th with 3.

Basically long story short here.... Since Nuke busted out of his almost 100 game slump back in November, he has been a play driving monster, possession beast, and defensive stalwart for the team. And he's doing so while averaging just the 8th most minutes among forwards on the team, 7th among forwards at 5 on 5 at 12:19 a game and 8th among forwards on the PP at 1:25.

I'd really like to see how he does stapled next to Kadri for a 15-20 game sample size. That would mean getting an extra ~2 minutes of 5 on 5 Ice time a game. I'd also like to see him planted right in front of the net on the Top PP unit.

For the longest time I simply enjoyed watching the effort level he gave and seeing a guy go from not scoring a single goal all of last year and basically being on his last life in the NHL and making something out of it. But now with what he's doing, I honestly think there's the potential for a real high end Top 9 player in Nuke still, maybe even a 2nd line guy with the proper minutes. He's basically scoring at a 45-50 point pace since he started getting 3rd line minutes, while being a great two-way player. Give him an extended look in the Top 6 and see what can happen.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Nuke is elite

The on ice Gf% is what really opened my eyes on just how good he has been for us.

I was only using a 29 game sample size, but even if you extend to the entire season, he's absolutely elite in the category.

He ranks first in the entire NHL with an On-Ice GF% of 72.5% and an offensive zone start % of 41.6%. David Krejci is 2nd in the league at 72.3% while starting 61.3% of his shifts in the offensive zone. You have to go all the way down to the 16th ranked player in Nick Bonino before you find a guy with less offensive zone starts on the list. Bonino has an On ice GF% of 64.9% while starting 31% of his shifts in the offensive zone. Bonino is also well known as being a very high end defensive player and is having a remarkable season in that regard.

Nuke really is having a shockingly great season. And his metrics actually got better as he got more minutes and responsibilities from November onward.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
He's definitely earned those second line minutes with Kadri, and he's done nothing but prove the coaches right to trust him there.

Crazy to think that the only two opinions anybody had around here when this was announced were "Meh" and "Fire Sakic".

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
He's definitely earned those second line minutes with Kadri, and he's done nothing but prove the coaches right to trust him there.

Crazy to think that the only two opinions anybody had around here when this was announced were "Meh" and "Fire Sakic".
Even crazier to think he could replace Landeskog on the top line by next season. Gotta love sports.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
And that right there is why Zadorov can never be moved. Get Big Z centering Nuke and Calvert and all the board battles belong to us.
I would put Zadorov in net. Both Avs goalies are small for today's standards. Need a big guy in net.

Reactions: McMetal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad