Confirmed with Link: Nuke scored a MotherF****ing goal!!!

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
There is just different expectations of players. Dong is a 3rd line sort of guy and a good one. You live with offensive cold spells on a 3rd line guy because you don't rely on them to produce offense. It is good and they need some, but anything above 30 points is gravy for a 3rd liner. If Dong just provides good effort, defense, and pushing possession... you are getting your money's worth from a 3rd liner. Burkie was brought into solve 2nd line scoring woes. It is a different level of expectations placed on a player and is a different role. Burkie needs to produce at a solid level and be relied upon to score to earn his spot. With his defensive ability, he's boom or bust as he isn't the type to do well in a bottom 6 role. So it was risky that his offense would be at a high enough level to justify. Over 50 games into the season Burkie is still streaky, but the lows haven't been as bad as years prior and the highs are very high. He's done all that could be asked for and some. Even if he regresses next year, Burkie's season has proven he was worth the price given up. The next contract is scary as the numbers will present a strong case, but the inconsistency and history in Washington present a lot of risk.

On Nuke's contract... the going rate for 3rd line wingers is stuck a bit in the mid to high 3s, some might creep into the 4s. IMO re-signing him for 3 or 4 seasons should net him somewhere between Compher and Dong.

Uh, people were penciling in Donskoi to be on the 2nd line as well. I'll respectfully disagree with you, cgf and Abusement Park. Point is, Burakovsky can play anywhere and has. If you have doubts about Burakovsky's ability then all three of you should be crowing about what an exceptional asset Sakic has found. His point total is right there with Ehlers at almost half the salary hit. Even if Burakovsky is re-signed, it'll be a hell of a lot less than other second-liners. Second-liners are not the model of consistency anyway (i.e. Duchene) so the inconsistency criticism is overblown. That is why they are second and not first liners (right now, our first-line ain't so hot). What were you expecting for $3.25M? Does Donskoi drive the puck like Burakovsky?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Uh, people were penciling in Donskoi to be on the 2nd line as well. I'll respectfully disagree with you, cgf and Abusement Park. Point is, Burakovsky can play anywhere and has. If you have doubts about Burakovsky's ability then all three of you should be crowing about what an exceptional asset Sakic has found. His point total is right there with Ehlers at almost half the salary hit. Even if Burakovsky is re-signed, it'll be a hell of a lot less than other second-liners. Second-liners are not the model of consistency anyway (i.e. Duchene) so the inconsistency criticism is overblown. That is why they are second and not first liners (right now, our first-line ain't so hot). What were you expecting for $3.25M? Does Donskoi drive the puck like Burakovsky?

The Avs have holes in the bottom 9... any player could be penciled around by people. It was stated right after Kadri trade that Jost-Kadri-Burkie was going to be a line. It was always the plan for Burkie to be on the second line here. People posting different is natural.

I have no issues complimenting Burkie. He's playing really well right now and smoothing out some of the inconsistency, but it is certainly still there. There are second liners of all types. Not all of them are inconsistent first line talents, not all are steady Eddy. Burkie has played 49 games this year, he's been held scoreless in 25 games. He's had 4 stretches of 3+ games and one that was 6 games. That is fairly hot and cold, and that will happen... but not all second liners are like that.

The 3.25m really isn't an issue for Burkie... it was a high QO that was a baseline for his contract regardless. It was a QO that sets the future too. Even if he completely sucked this year, the Avs would have to offer up 3.25m to keep his rights or not offer him and lose his rights (Washington was rumored to not qualify him at one point this summer). If he did well (like he is), his arbitration rights create a higher baseline and potentially contentious negotiation where we've seen these types of players backfire on organizations. The 3.25m this season isn't the real issue, it is next season where the contract could be an issue. If he finishes the season with 30+g and 65+p... he will have every right to be asking for $7m per long-term.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I will respectfully disagree with this point. People were penciling in Burakovsky as a 2W or 3W. He's played up and down the lines just like Donskoi.

Bura was 100% brought into play 2nd line minutes and Donk was brought in to improve the middle 6, Sakic and Bednar said as much during the offseason. Bura played up and down due to his streakiness and injuries. Donk is like Compher; a really good middle 6'er who can play all situations.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
One thing to remember about Nuke is that he is older than Mcdavid. I mean progress isn’t linear but there’s a good chance Mcdavid can be better at some point in the future.

For now I’ll just be happy to have the best player in the world though.

tenor.gif

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Bura was 100% brought into play 2nd line minutes and Donk was brought in to improve the middle 6, Sakic and Bednar said as much during the offseason. Bura played up and down due to his streakiness and injuries. Donk is like Compher; a really good middle 6'er who can play all situations.

Yes, I recall the initial plan. But I don't recall anyone having Donskoi and Burakovsky's positions set in stone and that has proven true through a lot of the season.

Compher is an okay middle 6'er.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
The Avs have holes in the bottom 9... any player could be penciled around by people. It was stated right after Kadri trade that Jost-Kadri-Burkie was going to be a line. It was always the plan for Burkie to be on the second line here. People posting different is natural.

I have no issues complimenting Burkie. He's playing really well right now and smoothing out some of the inconsistency, but it is certainly still there. There are second liners of all types. Not all of them are inconsistent first line talents, not all are steady Eddy. Burkie has played 49 games this year, he's been held scoreless in 25 games. He's had 4 stretches of 3+ games and one that was 6 games. That is fairly hot and cold, and that will happen... but not all second liners are like that.

The 3.25m really isn't an issue for Burkie... it was a high QO that was a baseline for his contract regardless. It was a QO that sets the future too. Even if he completely sucked this year, the Avs would have to offer up 3.25m to keep his rights or not offer him and lose his rights (Washington was rumored to not qualify him at one point this summer). If he did well (like he is), his arbitration rights create a higher baseline and potentially contentious negotiation where we've seen these types of players backfire on organizations. The 3.25m this season isn't the real issue, it is next season where the contract could be an issue. If he finishes the season with 30+g and 65+p... he will have every right to be asking for $7m per long-term.

I certainly see your point about consistency. Ehlers has played 55 games and has 42 points. He has 1 - five game streak where he didn't point and 1 - 2 game streak where he didn't point. Otherwise, Ehlers was pretty consistent. But then, Ehlers is making a hell of a lot more so I see cgf's point about Burakovsky proving it and showing consistency. But the inconsistency also gives Sakic some room to negotiate.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
What the hell Nuke is only 24? Maybe it’s the grizzly Russian thing but I completely thought he was 27 and a UFA this summer.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Nuke is my favorite story of the season. The clearest case I can think of where a player completely won over a fanbase due entirely to his effort and play style - not through scoring big goals.

And now that he's playing with confidence, I think the sky really is the limit for him. As early as next season he could be one of our top scorers and overall best forwards. He could be a fan favorite for years to come.

Yes I'm on the hype train. CHOO CHOO

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
I think Nuke is a prime example of how leaving a team where expectations were high due to draft pedigree really allowed him to focus on other aspects of his game/took pressure off of him to play up to that draft position and in turn has allowed for him to put up offensive numbers. It's hard not to root for someone who consistently plays hard, backchecks harder than anyone on our team (including defensemen) and came in with such low expectations.

He's a true underdog story who went from health scratch at the beginning of the season to being one of the players who has been asked to play on the top line when injuries strike. If he can start producing with MacK and Landy I don't think it's crazy to think the other top 3 forwards that are currently out could form a very good second line.

Reactions: MarkT

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I wouldn’t be opposed to that.

They were finding some chemistry before Kadri got injured.

Bura and Kadri looked lost before Nuke got put there. Then they popped off right Before Kadri's injury.

I maintained Kadri needed someone else who could create plays and make space. It was like the ice completely opened up.

Don checked fine, but does not have much creativity, and every time Bura tries to go making plays he holds onto the puck too long.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Bura and Kadri looked lost before Nuke got put there. Then they popped off right Before Kadri's injury.

I maintained Kadri needed someone else who could create plays and make space. It was like the ice completely opened up.

Both those guys need someone with some defensive awareness/hockey sense. They're kind of a trainwreck in their own end TBH (Kadri less so). I like that Nuke serves the "Landeskog" role relatively well there.

Avsavsavsavsavs

Nov 30, 2017
What a turn around for this guy. Most of us even chimed in that he had a terrible 1st period last night and still managed some solid chances and came back in the 2nd and 3rd to play really well. Hope Sakic resigns him soon and gives him a couple more years, he's earned it at this point.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Both those guys need someone with some defensive awareness/hockey sense. They're kind of a trainwreck in their own end TBH (Kadri less so). I like that Nuke serves the "Landeskog" role relatively well there.

Kadri hasn't been as good defensively as I'd hoped, but I think hes trying to have an offensive resurgence and needed help.

I wouldn't put Bura and Kadri in the same sentence when talking about that lol.

Landeskog would probably be fine if he was playing more like himself.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Kadri hasn't been as good defensively as I'd hoped, but I think hes trying to have an offensive resurgence and needed help.

I wouldn't put Bura and Kadri in the same sentence when talking about that lol.

Landeskog would probably be fine if he was playing more like himself.

I personally think Kadri's defensive upside was a bit overrated anyway. And that's fine--the Avs just need him to be a scoring line center, which he has been.

Kadri scraps like hell in all three zones but I think his hockey IQ is on par with a guy like Compher. Obviously not same talent level but they strike me as similar players in that regard. That's why I compare him and Burakovsky. Both of them are wildly talented players who don't exactly have the best hockey sense. And again...that's fine, just go and put the puck in the net and we'll all be fine.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
Can we get this dude on the "Will Carrier" contract like asap? I don't think it would stop him from being a workhorse. He's probably worth more than 1.4, maybe 2M? Give him some contract security, give us a cost effective asset for our MacK years so we can add more. Such good defense!

Reactions: ibengals

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad