Confirmed with Link: Nuke scored a MotherF****ing goal!!!

crue7

Jul 30, 2011
Mississauga, Ontario
LOL was absolutely flabbergasted we even signed the dude! I was actually pissed off at such a "nothing signing".

He nuked his way into my heart and the team. The f***ing hustle on this guy and his big man board play allows him to be effective even if he isn't getting points. Jost is literally toddler Nuke.

Last edited:

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
What if JB put Nuke on MacKinnon's wing and all Nuke would have to do is dig pucks out which he's really good at and crash the net when mack has the puck or shoots, he's fast, huge, and strong..to me it's worth a shot for a couple of games

I’ve been saying this for weeks.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Who's the better skater, him or MacKinnon?
Absolutely mackinnon, but it does look almost strange how well Nuke skates for his size. We’re used to seeing big guys like Rantanen skate...and Nuke is much better in every aspect of skating.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Absolutely mackinnon, but it does look almost strange how well Nuke skates for his size. We’re used to seeing big guys like Rantanen skate...and Nuke is much better in every aspect of skating.

Nichushkin's father (or mother, don't remember exactly) was a speedskater.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
I'd like you try him with Nate too but I really like how the 2nd line has looked, wouldn't break them up just yet. When Donsk returns I'd put him back with Mack and Rants and send Landy to help out Jost and Kam/Compher/who ever.

But ultimately if he can gel with Nate and Mikko or Landy can get something going with Naz who knows. He's a real X factor on this teams and gives us a lot of options

Reactions: The Kingslayer

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
He's not quick, but man is he powerful and when he gets going he's incredibly fast.
I think that’s why he’s so effective on the forecheck/backcheck. Once he’s closed in on you, you have nowhere to go. He’s huge and just envelopes you. Plus he’s great with his stick and feet.

I was listening to the DNVR podcast, and AJ said he would maybe give him a 1 year extension at 1.5m...I think he’s high. You give this guy 3 years, and if he signs for anything under 3, you’re laughing.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I think that’s why he’s so effective on the forecheck/backcheck. Once he’s closed in on you, you have nowhere to go. He’s huge and just envelopes you. Plus he’s great with his stick and feet.

I was listening to the DNVR podcast, and AJ said he would maybe give him a 1 year extension at 1.5m...I think he’s high. You give this guy 3 years, and if he signs for anything under 3, you’re laughing.

Not to discredit Nuke but he is literally playing for his chance at an NHL career here. A 1 year bridge isn’t that crazy considering he’s coming off 2 nhl seasons that were downright horrific. Get a little bit of a idea of what he is before going long term wit him.

Reactions: McMetal

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Not to discredit Nuke but he is literally playing for his chance at an NHL career here. A 1 year bridge isn’t that crazy considering he’s coming off 2 nhl seasons that were downright horrific. Get a little bit of a idea of what he is before going long term wit him.

How long he will be RFA? That should play a role in our decision as well.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
2 years I think? But 100% after this year.
It’s his last RFA year. He turns 25 in March.

I’d lean towards a multi year deal now, because I believe his price will only continue to go up, and his play isn’t just production-related. He’s not riding a hot streak or anything like that. He’s playing solid hockey at both ends of the ice.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
It’s his last RFA year. He turns 25 in March.

I’d lean towards a multi year deal now, because I believe his price will only continue to go up, and his play isn’t just production-related. He’s not riding a hot streak or anything like that. He’s playing solid hockey at both ends of the ice.

In that case we should go multi-year.

Reactions: AvsFan29

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

I love Nichushkin, but let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

He's playing the best hockey of his career without a doubt, and yet he's still only playing at a 32 point pace over the course of an 82 game season.

Points aren't everything, and with this guy they definitely aren't the end-all-be-all, but he's got to continue to show this for the rest of the season before you can even think long-term.

Stars fans have said that he looked like this with them last season, too, but fell apart during the second half of the season. Granted, he had the added pressure of not scoring which he has with us, but the point still remains that we need to see more than a 43 game sample size to think long-term.

Reactions: McMetal

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I love Nichushkin, but let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

He's playing the best hockey of his career without a doubt, and yet he's still only playing at a 32 point pace over the course of an 82 game season.

Points aren't everything, and with this guy they definitely aren't the end-all-be-all, but he's got to continue to show this for the rest of the season before you can even think long-term.

Stars fans have said that he looked like this with them last season, too, but fell apart during the second half of the season. Granted, he had the added pressure of not scoring which he has with us, but the point still remains that we need to see more than a 43 game sample size to think long-term.
He’s consistently one of our best players every night. I think it’s worth the risk.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I don't really view having zero faith in the player, and the outrage against even signing him as necessarily synonymous topics.

I just found it interesting people had any stronger reaction than whatevs to the actual signing.

Speaking of.. I actually like Sakic's willingness to waste cash as long as it does not hurt by taking up needed cap space longer term.

Retaining on Barrie, Orpik, signing Nuke, etc

TBF some of us only really made fun of the signing when some folks suggested it was done to put pressure on Mikko to sign or that Nuke was brought in as anything more than a 4th line candidate. Which was a ridiculous thought.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Carl33

Aug 25, 2007
He is on pace for 32 pts yes, but since november, his pace is more

Start slowly and get ice time and confidence after his 1st goal

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
He brings a lot to the table even when he's not scoring so when he goes cold it's not that much of an issue. Assuming we re-sign him, I wonder if he'll keep playing like this after signing a longer contract because he (rightfully) plays like a guy who's trying to save his career.

He's gotta be the guy on the team who burns the most calories per game. :laugh: A dude his size always going 100% is pretty rare, I don't know if he can keep this up for 2-3 years.

Reactions: cgf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad