NTDP 2019-20 Season Thread

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Wanted to get this going for a potential 2019-20 season thread for the National Team Development Program. After having probably the best overall team (certainly with wins and points) that's ever came through here it's time to look ahead to the new crop of players entering USA Hockey Arena starting next year. Some I've seen in person throughout the past year. Here's some opinions from this random fan of the incoming group: All of these thoughts are my own.

Goalies
Gibson Homer (MI) - Fox Motors 16U - College: Miami

- Didn't see to much of him, can't really comment.
Kaiden Mbereko (CO) - Little Caesars 16U - College: Uncommitted
-
Only saw him at Youth Nationals, thought he was good but not great. To small of a sample size.
Defensemen
Sean Behrens (IL) - Chicago Mission 16U - College: Denver

- He's evasive and makes smart plays. Can control the puck at decent speed and break the puck out smoothly.
Ty Gallagher (MI) - Compuware 16U - College: Miami
- Can be a stand up D man that makes smart plays at blue line. Was decent at Youth Nationals, we'll see how he develops.
Aidan Hreschuk (CA) - La Jr. Kings 16U - College: Boston College
- Think he's a good player with a lot of future potential. Was regarded by some to be the best D man in the '03 birth year early on and it's tough to say he's not in the top 3. After seeing him last year I agree he does nearly all the little things right to be a solid all around D man. I think we'll see how he develops over this next year against USHL competition. My guess is he'll adjust accordingly.
Luke Hughes (MI) - Little Caesars 15's - College: Michigan - Yes he's the brother of Quinn and Jack and he skates very well through the neutral zone and can be a one man breakout while setting his teammates up for success. Put the comparisons aside this year and watch him through a neutral lens. You'll see that he's a smart kid that moves the puck with pace and always is thinking a few steps ahead to generate offense for his team. Has a good active stick defensively too, will be tough to beat 1 on 1.
Jacob Martin (MN) - Gentry Academy Galaxy 15's - College: Miami - Honestly didn't see this kid play once this year but Gentry is the fastest up and coming midget AAA program in the states that has produced good players already. His teammate Bennet Schimek is also committed to Miami and puts up offensive points like few can do at his age. Was a first round USHL Phase 1 draft pick to the Omaha Lancers (4th overall).
Side note on Gentry Academy 15's: These guys went to the Toronto Marlboros holiday classic last year and beat some of the best teams in Ontario. Beat the Sudbury Wolves AAA 6-2 (Sudbury was a good team ask anyone who watched Chase Stillman and company), beat the famed Toronto Marlboros 7-4 and only lost to the Don Mills Flyers 3-2.
Ty Murchison - (CA) - LA Jr. Kings 16U - College: Uncommitted
- More defensive minded but haven't seen much of him to be honest about his game.
Roman Schmidt - (MI) - Don Mills Flyers MM - College: Boston University - Well we all know how good the Don Mills Flyers were in Ontario last year and I thought of naming the OHL Priority Selection the Don Mills Flyers dispersal draft. Joking aside Roman was a very good player on that team and can skate up the ice with power and commands respect with the puck. He also has a very good quick shot from the point, that will come in handy throughout the season next year. Looking forward to watching him.
Ethan Straky - (FL) - Oakland Jr Grizzlies 16U - College: Notre Dame - Didn't see much of him, only a few games at Youth Nationals and he was alright. I'm sure he's decent though if he made this roster.

I'll say a few thoughts on the forwards by the end of the weekend.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
BTW, I do have some sad news regarding the program, Charlene Merkel, who was the longtime director of the box office, recently left the organization. All the season ticket holders for the NTDP -- and the former Plymouth Whalers -- are quite familiar with Char, and anyone who called the box office for single game tickets and was helped by a female has interacted with her. Char was wonderful to deal with -- she was always so helpful and friendly. She served in this position for 17 years between the two organizations. Whomever replaced Char will have some mighty big shoes to fill.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Well here's some thoughts on the forwards for the incoming group of 2003 born players that will make up the NTDP U17 team next year. I'm more familiar with this group.

Tyler Boucher (AZ) - Avon Old Farms - College: Boston University - Has good vision and very creative with the puck. Can get good shots off and buries rebounds quickly. A comparable from this years squad might be Trevor Zegras. Not because they both came from Avon Old Farms.
Caden Brown (MO) - St. Louis AAA Blues 16U - College: Wisconsin - Plays more of a complete game (helps when your Dad is Jeff Brown). He plays with a lot of confidence and isn't afraid to use his stick skills to make plays and find the open guy. This was evident at last years USA Hockey Select 15 camp and the 16U Nationals. Also noticed as a forward he holds the line well on the pp like a D would. Thought that was interesting watchin him.
Jack Devine (IL) - Chicago Mission 15's - College: Denver - The Chicago Mission 15's played a lot of games against minor midget teams in Ontario last year and he was very very good in those games. Can make highlight reel plays by putting the puck between a defenseman's triangle and go bar down (he did this against the Toronto Red Wings). Can also win key faceoff battles. Will be interesting to see how he does here.
Dylan Duke (OH) - Compuware 16U - College: Michigan - Big fan of this kid. You'll just notice him on the ice, period. He can strip pucks and get the play going north, also has a good active stick and will step up and close the gap on guys in the neutral zone. He has quick hands and is deceptive with the way he uses head fakes with his body movement to throw off D and goalies alike. Mix that with a quick release and you have a dangerous offensive player.
Liam Gilmartin (VA) - Shattuck St. Mary's 16U - College: Uncommitted - He plays big and can be used in penatly killing situations. Saw him block a shot and then pounce on the puck to get a breakaway chance shorthanded.
Jack Hughes (MA) - St. Sebastians - College: Northeastern - He couldn't have come into the program at a better time for obvious reasons. Pete Krupsky is going to have to say "no relation" a number of times to start the year. He's a decent player that has some work to do, but some highlights I wrote down this year watching him a handful of times - Pulled a great deke on a player at the blue line, went inside outside on the D man and nearly set up a good looking goal. He has size and combined with decent skating he can be a force down low.
Justin Janicke (MN) - Maple Grove High School - College: Notre Dame - Noticed his play and hands along the walls. Has some size and decent skating ability. Will need to work on that this year.
Chaz Lucius (MN) - Gentry Academy 15's - College: Minnesota - Didn't see him play this year, so can't comment on him.
Sasha Pastujov (MI) - Compuware 16U - College: Notre Dame - Saw a lot of this Compuware team that was the only group to beat the Don Mills Flyers at the Whitby Silverstick Tournament. (When they collected all their 03's). He was an offensive catalyst on this team. Can score in big situations and has very quick hands that are deceptive. Had a play where he deked a defender for the Toronto Young Nationals and even deked the goalie to where he just had to pass the puck into the net. He'll be fun to follow and see how his all around game comes along.
Colby Sganiuk (PA) - Pittsburgh Penguins Elite 16U - College: Uncommitted - One of the more interesting players to follow throughout the 18-19 season. Playing for the Pens Elite I was able to watch him multiple times live this year. Yes he's smaller but he has such strong lower body that he can cut around guys and accelerate out of the corners with the puck. He also likes to cut into the slot kind of like Max Domi did a lot with the London Knights during his tenure there. He was regarded as maybe the best 03 forward in the states until January where in my opinion Jeremy Wilmer took that over. But Saganiuk still is a force to score whenever he is on the ice and plays with such pace that it's hard to defend him. Can't wait to see how he progresses this year.
Redmond Savage (AZ) - Compuware 16U - College: Miami - Another kid from the Compuware program which plays right under the NTDP's nose at USA Hockey Arena. He's a battler and during a game at the Select 15's last summer he scored a goal for his team right after being scored on...you notice little things like that even in games that don't count towards standings. He can bury a goal if you give him any time with the puck. Has speed to blow down the wing on defenders. He did this to the Don Mills Flyers that led to their winning goal against them.
Ryan St. Louis (Conn) - Brunswick School - College: Northeastern - Never got to see this team play in New England Prep this year but heard good things about him.
Jeremy Wilmer (NY) - North Jersey Avalanche 16U - College: Boston University - Wilmer has stood out ever since last years USA Select 15 camp in New York. Played on a good team and like Saganiuk is small but combines elite hockey sense, skating ability, agility, and puck skills to beat you in multiple ways. Was a play at a Tier 1 Elite League showcase in January where he at full speed put the puck between his own legs to find a team mate on the other side of the dot. He always has his head up and can fly through the neutral zone. He has great vision too, anyone can get the puck from him at any time. Watch him next year.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
BTW, I do have some sad news regarding the program, Charlene Merkel, who was the longtime director of the box office, recently left the organization. All the season ticket holders for the NTDP -- and the former Plymouth Whalers -- are quite familiar with Char, and anyone who called the box office for single game tickets and was helped by a female has interacted with her. Char was wonderful to deal with -- she was always so helpful and friendly. She served in this position for 17 years between the two organizations. Whomever replaced Char will have some mighty big shoes to fill.

That's sad news Whalers Fan. I'm sure I've spoken with her getting Will Call tickets over the years. Never had a bad experience dealing with the front office there. Or at CJ's Brewing Company!

Reactions: Whalers Fan

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
The US roster for the 2019 World Junior Summer Showcase was released today. Always look forward to watching this event and since it's been on national TV the past 3 years more people are taking notice to the importance of a good showing here when you're up against some of the best players from three other dominant hockey countries.

Of note there are 10 players from this past year's US National U-18 Team and 11 more that were full time on the NTDP in years prior before going College / CHL. Of note it's nice to see how many kids there are on the initial roster that played for USHL club teams. I remember going to the showcase 3 years ago and seeing Jack Achan on D and he really impressed in my first viewing of him and I like that he was a true USHL guy. Now it's coming to fruition with a lot of players having the chance to play on a stage like this. I think it's great for the league, they need to get to the level where we can take a good look at kids from USHL club teams for the world juniors and not just the NTDP alums every year.

Side note - there's 38 players ranked for the draft tomorrow from regular USHL club teams outside the NTDP. Right on par with the Q, Dub, and the O this year. Not derailing this for a league comparison but it's been interesting to note over the last few years.

Will be great to kick back and watch all these guys get drafted tomorrow, they will for sure set a record for USA Hockey and the NTDP in different categories. Next year it will be a bit different, but let's enjoy tomorrow.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Awesome watching the draft tonight and congrats to all the players taken with the first 31 picks in the 2019 NHL Draft. Love this event and it's always interesting to see where players go. I think the biggest surprise was seeing Moritz Seider go at 6th overall to the Red Wings. I knew he was good and a potential late first rounder but not that high. Good for him.

There were 8 players drafted in the first round from the NTDP U-18 team tonight. Absolutely smashing the record of three from a single US NTDP U-18 team before. That was awesome to see and we should cherish that moment as that will not be the case for a while. But who knows, anything can happen in the draft and John Wroblewski said this year it's being talked about as an anomaly but this could maybe happen again within the decade, if the best Americans continue to go there. Who knows with how hockey is growing throughout the world, but that was a fun night.

Random statement to end the night but I'd guess the next player off the board from the U-18 team this prior year is Marshal Warren. I've liked this kid for 3 years now and I think whoever gets him has a bonafide NHL shutdown defensemen with serious offensive upside in 4 years. You never know who teams are really high on internally and he's been an NHL prospect for the past 3 years going to his days playing with the North Jersey Avalanche 16U. We shall see.

Last edited:

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
It was quite a day for the program -- seven players selected in the top 15, and eight overall in the first round. It's been a lot of fun watching this team for the past two years. I am both surprised and delighted that Caufield fell to my beloved Habs at #15 -- I thought he would be off the board long before that. Spencer Knight going at #12 was a little surprising, too, as goalies rarely are getting drafted that high anymore. It's going to be interesting watching how this group progresses over the next few years.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Agree Whalers Fan, it was a good way to put a bow on a great season that they had. 17 players from this team were taken in the draft. Will be fun to follow their individual journeys.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Random statement to end the night but I'd guess the next player off the board from the U-18 team this prior year is Marshal Warren. I've liked this kid for 3 years now and I think whoever gets him has a bonafide NHL shutdown defensemen with serious offensive upside in 4 years. You never know who teams are really high on internally and he's been an NHL prospect for the past 3 years going to his days playing with the North Jersey Avalanche 16U. We shall see.

I didn't work out that way for Warren, as he lasted until the 6th round. I wasn't that surprised that Vlasic was the first NTDP player taken on Day 2 -- scouts still like defensemen with size. I was a little surprised that Cameron Rowe wasn't drafted at all -- I thought some team would take a 6th or 7th round flyer on him.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
I didn't work out that way for Warren, as he lasted until the 6th round. I wasn't that surprised that Vlasic was the first NTDP player taken on Day 2 -- scouts still like defensemen with size. I was a little surprised that Cameron Rowe wasn't drafted at all -- I thought some team would take a 6th or 7th round flyer on him.

I think Warren could end up being a steal one day, but you are right with Vlasic though. His size is good and plays a solid game.

I wonder how those few players feel that didn’t get picked. That would really suck. Danny Weight too, who will be taking his talents to the Penticton Vees next year in the BCHL.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
I wonder how those few players feel that didn’t get picked. That would really suck. Danny Weight too, who will be taking his talents to the Penticton Vees next year in the BCHL.

Yes, there were not very many players who didn't get drafted. In Weight's case, it's not a big surprise. After all, he was demoted to the U17 team late in the season. I think the only reason a team would have considered him would be because of his dad.

Reactions: NTDP

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Yes, there were not very many players who didn't get drafted. In Weight's case, it's not a big surprise. After all, he was demoted to the U17 team late in the season. I think the only reason a team would have considered him would be because of his dad.

Good points, let me ask you this...we know the U18’s next year will be a step down from what we just saw. But what’s your early thoughts? Just in general.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Good points, let me ask you this...we know the U18’s next year will be a step down from what we just saw. But what’s your early thoughts? Just in general.

I think we will see something more like the U18s that had Brady Tkachuk and Dhooghe a couple of years ago. They will probably win their share of USHL games, but struggle more against the better NCAA teams. The only prospects I see with any chance of being selected in the first round of the draft are Smilanic, Kleven, and maybe Beniers. Out of those three, only 1 or 2 will actually end up being first rounders -- and we may not see any taken in the 1st half of the round. It's just not a team with exciting prospects.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
I think we will see something more like the U18s that had Brady Tkachuk and Dhooghe a couple of years ago. They will probably win their share of USHL games, but struggle more against the better NCAA teams. The only prospects I see with any chance of being selected in the first round of the draft are Smilanic, Kleven, and maybe Beniers. Out of those three, only 1 or 2 will actually end up being first rounders -- and we may not see any taken in the 1st half of the round. It's just not a team with exciting prospects.

Pretty much what I think too. I think Beniers has a late b day and he’s 2021 eligible and could be a top 15 prospect for that draft. Lots of deep Canadian talent in 2020 draft and some are saying might be the deepest draft in many years. Will be curious to see how they play internationally too.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
I was rather disappointed that the NTDP didn't participate in the Plymouth 4th of July Parade this year as the program has done in the past. It's an opportunity to support the community and also give the program more exposure locally.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
I was rather disappointed that the NTDP didn't participate in the Plymouth 4th of July Parade this year as the program has done in the past. It's an opportunity to support the community and also give the program more exposure locally.
Looks like Rushmore was there representing ...

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Looks like Rushmore was there representing ...

Thanks. We were there for the entire parade and sitting right near the emcees, but didn't see him nor hear him announced. He must have just been wandering around the crowd. In previous years the program was actually in the parade. Here's a shot I took from 2016. I couldn't find one from 2017, and we missed the parade last year.

451A4950-X4.jpg

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... In previous years the program was actually in the parade. Here's a shot I took from 2016. ...

451A4950-X4.jpg
With above-average temps in Plymouth on Independence Day 2019, maybe the NTDP staff drew straws & the guy in the heavy costume lost the draw. Rushmore might've only made it to the first aid tent. :dunno:

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
The home schedule is out. NCAA opponents playing at USA Hockey Arena will be Northern Michigan, Notre Dame, North Dakota, Wisconsin, Boston University and Lake Superior State.

That's a good college lineup with lots of NTDP alums on them. I'm going to the game vs Northern Michigan and Notre Dame as I believe they are on back to back days and I'll just get a hotel. I wish they brought the entire schedule out sooner. All the other junior leagues including the USHL club teams have had theirs out for a while. Wasn't until a few days ago they had the entire road schedule finished for the U17 and 18's. Probably because they span over 3 leagues.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
That's a good college lineup with lots of NTDP alums on them. I'm going to the game vs Northern Michigan and Notre Dame as I believe they are on back to back days and I'll just get a hotel. I wish they brought the entire schedule out sooner. All the other junior leagues including the USHL club teams have had theirs out for a while. Wasn't until a few days ago they had the entire road schedule finished for the U17 and 18's. Probably because they span over 3 leagues.
We should be at both the Northern Michigan and Notre Dame games. If you get in a couple of hours before Saturday's game, maybe we can meet at CJ's for dinner.

Reactions: NTDP

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Alright guys, season starts today as the U17’s play on the road against the Johnstown Tomahawks. Always exciting seeing how these guys play in their first game together. Lots of good players in the 2003 birth year on this team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad